Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Okay, so sitting in the booth isn't that big of a deal to you two?  Explain his Lego hair then. 

Not really.  As AG#20 just said, it's easier to recognize the personnel change for the other team and it's quicker to adapt.

10 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

A guy who's had 2 full years in the league vs. a 2nd year player who spent all of his rookie season on IR.

Yeah, not exactly a fair comparison, dude.

Personally I didn't want Ragland as a prospect period. I don't think he's "first round talent" or a "blue chip prospect".

54 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Personally I didn't want Ragland as a prospect period. I don't think he's "first round talent" or a "blue chip prospect".

I think he's got a lot of talent.  I also don't think he's a fit for our defense.  He's just not fast enough.  Now, if we needed a heavy thumper inside?  Now I'm interested.  But as it stands today, I'm pretty happy with Ryan and Martinez to go with Burnett and Jones.  Still not sold on Joe Thomas.....

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

A guy who's had 2 full years in the league vs. a 2nd year player who spent all of his rookie season on IR.

Yeah, not exactly a fair comparison, dude.

You're right, it's not. If we played primarily in a base 3-4 for the majority of the time he would probably be fine, however we don't. Since we are probably going to be in our nickel defense the majority of the time and with the re-introduction of the "psycho" package, you want guys that can cover on those third and longs. Ragland is definitely a better run defender than Ryan and Martinez, but that's really the only thing that he offers us. He just isn't a system fit. I think he is a two down thumper in this league.

17 hours ago, spilltray said:

+1

He's a stiff, slow thumper ILB coming off an ACL. That type of LB is dead in the NFL. He has little to no value on passing downs. He's not much of a blitzer and doesn't have the speed to cover most RB and TE.

Sure sign him if he's cut, or trade a guy that probably won't make the team anyway, but don't give up any pick or anything of real value to get him.

He ran the same 40 as Blake did.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think he's got a lot of talent.  I also don't think he's a fit for our defense.  He's just not fast enough.  Now, if we needed a heavy thumper inside?  Now I'm interested.  But as it stands today, I'm pretty happy with Ryan and Martinez to go with Burnett and Jones.  Still not sold on Joe Thomas.....

So he replaces Thomas

Ragland comes in for 1st and short yardage

Jones plays 3rd down and passing downs.

Ryan is your every down guy and Blake plays the versatility role.

I mean if we can get him for a WR (that might get cut anyway or allows us to keep Dupree or McCaffrey) and late pick, its a no brainer IMO.

RR also has some pass rushing ability and would probably be an upgrade over Elliott or Gilbert.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-reggie-ragland-lb-alabama

good in zone coverage and great instincts, brings pass rush ability...

I didn't want any part of RR either but he was a better prospect than Ryan. And probably still is. The way we play, he just didn't fit. 

And FWIW Reuben was obviously the better prospect between he and RR. But if he's not worn down from his Alabama days, RR should be a really solid backer. Ryan is a role guy and I'm pumped to see him take another step in year three. 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I find your comment about Joe Thomas interesting because I see Thomas as possibly the best ILB on the team. Ryan and Martinez are decent palyers too.

1 hour ago, fattlipp said:

So he replaces Thomas

Ragland comes in for 1st and short yardage

Jones plays 3rd down and passing downs.

Ryan is your every down guy and Blake plays the versatility role.

I mean if we can get him for a WR (that might get cut anyway or allows us to keep Dupree or McCaffrey) and late pick, its a no brainer IMO.

RR also has some pass rushing ability and would probably be an upgrade over Elliott or Gilbert.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-reggie-ragland-lb-alabama

good in zone coverage and great instincts, brings pass rush ability...

I like your thought of him as an OLB candidate as well as ILB.  Now you have me interested.  Nice thought!

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

I find your comment about Joe Thomas interesting because I see Thomas as possibly the best ILB on the team. Ryan and Martinez are decent palyers too.

Agreed, I think Thomas is the best ILB on the team. He by far makes the most plays. Ryan is steady and Martinez right now just reminds me a lesser version of AJ Hawk, which is not a compliment. If anything, I'd give up Martinez for Ragland, not Ryan. 

Archived