Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

If you fired capers, you'd hire someone who is best available in the market, or you promote Moss.  Both are better than Capers.

Capers is not the biggest problem.  I just think he's the easiest problem to solve.

They are not better than Capers, or they wouldn't be available. Yeah, sure, there is probably someone in the world at a position lower than NFL who is or might be better than Capers, but neither your nor I nor anyone currently in the NFL management knows who they are or they wouldn't be available.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

If you fired capers, you'd hire someone who is best available in the market, or you promote Moss.  Both are better than Capers.

Capers is not the biggest problem.  I just think he's the easiest problem to solve.

I really hate statements like this. And I am not anywhere near a Capers fan.

The problem most I've had with Capers is he blitzes too much. If we can't pull in a top 15 defense this year, I don't see why we can't get in a fresh new mind and see what happens, specifically a guy that doesn't blitz as much. Too much risk with this defense, that's why I think we give up so many big plays.

In all of Capers defensive stints with various teams, the defense has topped out within the first 2-3 years of him arriving then has  declined.  We are now in year 8 or 9.  Expecting something different is just silly at this point.  

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

The problem most I've had with Capers is he blitzes too much. If we can't pull in a top 15 defense this year, I don't see why we can't get in a fresh new mind and see what happens, specifically a guy that doesn't blitz as much. Too much risk with this defense, that's why I think we give up so many big plays.

He blitzes too much?  Seriously, that's a complaint?  Last year literally all we heard was how vanilla the defense was, especially on 3rd down, and now he blitzes too much.  I'm not defending Capers here, I'm just saying if you have complaints, be consistent with them. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He blitzes too much?  Seriously, that's a complaint?  Last year literally all we heard was how vanilla the defense was, especially on 3rd down, and now he blitzes too much.  I'm not defending Capers here, I'm just saying if you have complaints, be consistent with them. 

I thought Capers was known for blitzing, even this 1st preseason I saw it a lot. I don't honestly remember the vanilla part, if anything I've always thought his blitz schemes were complex. My point was is sending so many guys its gonna leave a lot of holes in coverage and thats how we get burnt so much if we can't cover. This is the first time I brought it up too lol, so i don't know what you mean by being consistent with complaints.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

The defense (or special teams) scored some of those points. The offense did not. You can't count points the defense scores against them in an argument.

you're missing what I've been saying.  When the GB offense (team, since I'm not differentiating between who scores the points) scores 20 or less, we never win.  Other teams pull those games out.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why does the offense get credit for FGs on drives that started in opposing territory from the defense or defensive stops?

Why does the defense get credit for stops when the other team's offense moves the ball 60 yards and punts it down to the 3?  I dunno, they just do.

You wanna talk abt scoring, so we're talking abt scoring.

I also don't think we should be looking at offensive scoring.  It's tough to score points in the playoffs.  If we counted every game Brady scored 20 points or less in the playoffs as a loss, Brady would have two Super Bowl wins.  If our defense was better, our offense would be on the field more. 

13 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I also don't think we should be looking at offensive scoring.  It's tough to score points in the playoffs.  If we counted every game Brady scored 20 points or less in the playoffs as a loss, Brady would have two Super Bowl wins.  If our defense was better, our offense would be on the field more. 

The offense is where the heavier investment is. The offense has had straight up crap games in the playoffs. Not just not scoring points, but 3 and outs. They don't even always need to score, but they need to stay on the field.

Just now, spilltray said:

The offense is where the heavier investment is. The offense has had straight up crap games in the playoffs. Not just not scoring points, but 3 and outs. They don't even always need to score, but they need to stay on the field.

Yes, this is true except for the first part.  The heavier investment is definitely in the defense.  We currently have two first round picks on offense and five first round picks on offense. 

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I thought Capers was known for blitzing, even this 1st preseason I saw it a lot. I don't honestly remember the vanilla part, if anything I've always thought his blitz schemes were complex. My point was is sending so many guys its gonna leave a lot of holes in coverage and thats how we get burnt so much if we can't cover. This is the first time I brought it up too lol, so i don't know what you mean by being consistent with complaints.

How many guys does he usually send?

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

If you are running a base 2-4-5 nickle, you are going to "blitz" at least 2 guys. Often it's going to be your edge guys, but far from always.

Look at it more in terms of how often 5+ are sent on the rush and it's not as often.

Thanks. My point is for people to quantify things & include reference frames (i.e. median rushers sent per snap by GB vs. median rushers sent per snap by other teams). Otherwise it just sounds like guesswork.

Not sure why people make it out like coverage has been a perpetual issue just because it was an issue last year. GB has had a decent secondary plenty of years under Capers. 

Archived