End of an error: Dwayne Haskins Released

MikeT14

Well I’m glad that Ron wanted to release Haskins last week, because that was the right thing to do. I’m disappointed that Doug wanted to keep Haskins around but, I understand that point of view from Doug. And, honestly it doesn’t reflect well on Doug bc you’d think Doug could’ve been the mentor that Dwayne needed and Doug obviously failed in that role.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rivera got rid of Doug after this season.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well I’m glad that Ron wanted to release Haskins last week, because that was the right thing to do. I’m disappointed that Doug wanted to keep Haskins around but, I understand that point of view from Doug. And, honestly it doesn’t reflect well on Doug bc you’d think Doug could’ve been the mentor that Dwayne needed and Doug obviously failed in that role.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rivera got rid of Doug after this season.

As someone who has mentored someone who has been successful and someone who hasn't, you have to remember that it takes two to be successful in the mentor/mentee relationship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

As someone who has mentored someone who has been successful and someone who hasn't, you have to remember that it takes two to be successful in the mentor/mentee relationship. 

True and I know that still, doesn’t look good on Doug, outside of being a mentor to our young athletes and some celebrity appearances so Dan doesn’t have to do it, I have no idea what he does.

Apparently, teams are interested in signing Dwayne, but they didn’t claim him bc they aren’t interested in his contract.

I like this piece by John Keim.

Guys...........the culture hasn't changed.  We can talk wins and losses and playing meaningful games all we want, but we need to face facts- culture is established from the top down.  And it isn't established from the head coach, or even the GM.........it's the owner.  And quite frankly, two things are still embarrassing here. 

1.) The leaks still occur.  Until this organization can button up whatever leaks are going on, nothing is going to change.  The only season that I can remember since Joe Gibbs left without leaks was RGIII's rookie season.  As soon as the injury happened, things changed again.  We're on our fourth head coach, and we still have these leaks.  We also fired Larry Michael and some other guys who I thought could have been sources of the leaks, but apparently not.  

No other team trashes people on the way out the door like we do.  No one else fills in the gaps between "coach-speak" in press conferences and what actually happens like we do.  It is quite embarrassing, and by this point, it HAS to be tolerated, if not actively encouraged, by Daniel Snyder.  

2.) Rivera wanting to cut Haskins after last week, and not being able to do so.  I've given the team a lot for giving Rivera full-control.  I don't think the coach-centered approach the way they are doing it works, and I think any coach involved heavily in the front office is set up to fail (aside from BB.). That being said.........Rivera either has full control or he doesn't.  If he wanted to let Haskins go after Week 15, why wasn't he cut?  Because someone in the organization went to bat for him?  Who would have the pull to make Rivera change his mind on this one?  Again, it points back to one person.  

Ultimately, Haskins was cut.  But it was after the franchise sold out whatever integrity we've gained under Rivera to keep him as the starting QB after a second violation of Covid protocol, with the head coach being one of the highest risk individuals out there.  

@PARROTHEAD was right about Haskins, and he's right about Snyder not really wanting to win.  This is a playground for him, but it may be slowly unraveling.  

• Like 3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/29/dwayne-haskins-daniel-snyder-washington-football-team/?utm_source=reddit.com

In the weeks before the 2019 NFL draft, a division arose in the Washington front office over whom to take with the 15th pick. Owner Daniel Snyder wanted Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, while most of the team’s coaches and executives did not, multiple people with knowledge of the deliberations say.

The movement against Haskins was so strong that Bruce Allen, then the team’s president, tried to convince Snyder to change his mind, only to be overruled.

Gruden threw him into an early-season game at the New York Giants to show Snyder how far Haskins was from being a capable quarterback, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

Haskins told coaches that, as the only Black man in the quarterback meeting room, he felt uncomfortable not because of anything anyone said but because the coaches wanted him to be more like Smith and Kyle Allen when he didn’t feel anything like either player.

Dont even know what to say. Because at this point. Its like saying water is wet.

• Like 2