New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets traded for Watson.  Granted what it would cost I'm not sure, but I think the #2 overall pick has a lot more value what the 1st round picks that the Rams gave up considering they're expected to be late 1sts, though that would only mean that Houston replaces the Jets as a team needing a QB and picking that high they would pick one for sure.

Yeah won't be surprised to see another trade such as Watson going to the Jets as you mentioned. Houston could still get a guy like Zach Wilson at #2, plus have multiple high draft picks from the Jets. Seems that relationship with Watson/Houston is getting to the point of being to far gone to fix. Might as well go that route and try to find the next franchise QB and gain a bunch more draft capital in the process.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Some potentially good news with the Lions trading Stafford to the Rams for Goff and a ton of draft picks (Rams got fleeced pretty bad trying to offload Goff's contract).

If the Lions decide to give Goff a season to be the guy at QB this means there is 1 less team picking in the top 10 that would take a QB. They now have a ton of ammo in the next couple drafts after this to load up, so I could see them waiting until next year to pull the trigger on their QB if Goff doesn't pan out with them.

This would leave Jaguars, Jets, Falcons, Panthers, and Broncos as top 10 that may look at QB in the draft. The Jaguars are basically a lock to grab a QB, but beyond that it's hard to say what those teams will do.

The Jets may give Darnold another year, Falcons might think Ryan still has a few more years, Panthers likely draft a QB (reports aren't so great in regards to Bridgewater being the guy there), Broncos may give Lock another year. 

I think this may help our chances of getting a guy like Jones. We likely could pull off a trade to get in that 10-14 range to grab a QB (similar to Davenport trade). Think we have to get in front of the Patriots to get our guy.

I look at it differently... the Lions with Dan Campbell was the one team I felt could make a run at Jameis this off-season. Now Winston's options as a starter are basically zero lowering his asking price even more, making it more likely he resigns with the Saints at a bargain deal and the Saints don't draft a quarterback.

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I look at it differently... the Lions with Dan Campbell was the one team I felt could make a run at Jameis this off-season. Now Winston's options as a starter are basically zero lowering his asking price even more, making it more likely he resigns with the Saints at a bargain deal and the Saints don't draft a quarterback.

Winston's definitely a possibility, but I think the biggest thing driving the bus is how Sean Payton views guys like Mac Jones, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance. We know the Saints are at the very least, interested in Mac Jones given that he met with us and spoke highly of his meeting with us. If Payton is really high on one of those guys and they start sliding a bit outside the top 10, we will find a way to get them.

41 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Winston's definitely a possibility, but I think the biggest thing driving the bus is how Sean Payton views guys like Mac Jones, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance. We know the Saints are at the very least, interested in Mac Jones given that he met with us and spoke highly of his meeting with us. If Payton is really high on one of those guys and they start sliding a bit outside the top 10, we will find a way to get them.

Well we will know soon enough... Payton's saying all the right things about Hill and Winston but one of these days he'll have his poker face on and take a QB in the draft. Is it this year? Is all the talk about Hill and Winston just a smoke screen so that teams aren't wise to the Saints wanting a QB?

I'll admit it... if I was Mickey Loomis (not Sean Payton) I would be trying to get into position for a QB I like this draft, not resigning Winston. Even if Winston  returns and has a solid season, he'll want a significant pay raise next off-season. The Saints could fix a ton of their cap issues now and in the future with a 1st round QB. Draft the QB, allow Winston to leave and start Hill in 2021 until you feel the young buck is ready. Hill has proven he can win games so he's a solid stepping stone to the next guy.

Sadly I doubt this is how the Saints are thinking.

Another line of thinking... even if the Saints opt not to draft a QB in round 1. Don't ya'll think the Saints are officially in the quarterback market now? I mean even if they don't take one in round 1, a prospect like Kellen Mond in the 3rd has to be a guy the Saints are looking at. I mean they should be drafting a quarterback in every draft from now until they find the guy.

Anyone else agree???

58 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Another line of thinking... even if the Saints opt not to draft a QB in round 1. Don't ya'll think the Saints are officially in the quarterback market now? I mean even if they don't take one in round 1, a prospect like Kellen Mond in the 3rd has to be a guy the Saints are looking at. I mean they should be drafting a quarterback in every draft from now until they find the guy.

Anyone else agree???

Mond is my favorite mid round project QB with some upside. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if we role with Winston and draft Mond in the mid rounds, I'd be okay with it. 

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Mond is my favorite mid round project QB with some upside. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if we role with Winston and draft Mond in the mid rounds, I'd be okay with it. 

Yeah... I think Mond could be a late bloomer with some untapped potential. I just feel the Saints should be drafting quarterback or in the quarterback market actively from this point on. Settling for Winston and Hill shouldn't be their top option or long-term outlook.

17 hours ago, Raves said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets traded for Watson.  Granted what it would cost I'm not sure, but I think the #2 overall pick has a lot more value what the 1st round picks that the Rams gave up considering they're expected to be late 1sts, though that would only mean that Houston replaces the Jets as a team needing a QB and picking that high they would pick one for sure.

So Houston doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and they're already hurting, hence their crappy record.
If they could climb to the #2 position (Jets), and then decide if they want to work with Darnold, or pick a new QB at#2, and then trade Darnold for more picks, they could really stockpile picks, but take a step back from the current talent.

I'm not sure you can get a better attitude than Watson right now. Watson has been so patient, and the Houston brass just diss'ed him, big time. 

So, yeah, you'd have the first 2 picks being a QB. Probably Lawrence (of course) and then who, Fields - Wilson - Jones - Lance? One of them should end up in Houston.

10 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Well we will know soon enough... Payton's saying all the right things about Hill and Winston but one of these days he'll have his poker face on and take a QB in the draft. Is it this year? Is all the talk about Hill and Winston just a smoke screen so that teams aren't wise to the Saints wanting a QB?

I'll admit it... if I was Mickey Loomis (not Sean Payton) I would be trying to get into position for a QB I like this draft, not resigning Winston. Even if Winston  returns and has a solid season, he'll want a significant pay raise next off-season. The Saints could fix a ton of their cap issues now and in the future with a 1st round QB. Draft the QB, allow Winston to leave and start Hill in 2021 until you feel the young buck is ready. Hill has proven he can win games so he's a solid stepping stone to the next guy.

Sadly I doubt this is how the Saints are thinking.

I'd love to see an Andy Ried type trade. Grab a guy high (Mahomes) that you can have observe your starting QB (Smith) for a year, learn what the NFL is about, and then unleash that talent.

Unfortunately, non of us really know how Payton can do developing a brand new QB. Aside from Romo, who has he ever worked with that amounted to anything, other than improving on Brees? Keep in mind, most QB's improve after their 3rd or 4th seasons.

53 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'd love to see an Andy Ried type trade. Grab a guy high (Mahomes) that you can have observe your starting QB (Smith) for a year, learn what the NFL is about, and then unleash that talent.

Unfortunately, non of us really know how Payton can do developing a brand new QB. Aside from Romo, who has he ever worked with that amounted to anything, other than improving on Brees? Keep in mind, most QB's improve after their 3rd or 4th seasons.

Chase McDaniels was good enough that he got a starting gig and big money from someone else.  Granted he floundered as a starter, due to his own limitations among other reasons, and went back to being a back-up afterwards.  He's drafted plenty of 3-5th round QBs to be back-ups with various success after leaving the Saints.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Well recent reports are that the Bears and Colts could both pursue Winston in free agency. So for a second, imagine your Jameis... do you resign with New Orleans at what will have to be a bargain basement deal with only a guarantee to enter a competition with "coaches boy" Taysom Hill who is making 16 million next year and who started over you and went 3-1 regardless the circumstances.

Or... do you sign with either the Bear or Colts for much more money and a likely easier path to the starting job. Bears should boast a solid defense in 2021 with a good running game. While the Colts have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and best young overall rosters in the AFC with a quarterback friendly coach.

If I'm Winston and either the Bears or the Colts over a decent deal and neither bring in another veteran QB I'm taking one of those offers. Even if they don't commit to not drafting a 1st round QB. Both are drafting 20th or later. So the Saints might have to be looking at a possible move for a QB when all is said and done.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

So for a second, imagine your Jameis... 
...do you sign with either the Bear or Colts for much more money and a likely easier path to the starting job.

Bears should boast a solid defense in 2021 with a good running game.
While the Colts have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and best young overall rosters in the AFC with a quarterback friendly coach.

To me it's a 2 horse race, Saints & Colts, no pun intended.

The Bears, Naggy, didn't know what to do with the QB's he had, and coached the team into a wildcard that would have been a better seed had he just left well enough alone. So I don't really think about that option, let alone playing in Chicago where 1/2 of your season is played outdoors in the cold. And their running game is peanuts compared to the Saints running game. And who is he throwing to?

The Colts, may be a better option, and an exciting team with a lot of opportunity for any QB, young or experienced. The Saints O-line is better than the Colts.

If I'm a competitor, I want to prove it with the Saints. Beat Hill and have him come in for his option plays. But I also know it will ultimately come down to money.

So many things to think about. The Saints have a fun WR corps and that will look even different with a Winston chucking it 60 yards. A great running back, a pretty decent defense, and a full season to know if this coaching staff fits his nature. 

At the end, I still think we remain the front runner, just maybe not the money part.

Good thoughts, Worm.

6 hours ago, Raves said:

Chase McDaniels was good enough that he got a starting gig and big money from someone else.  Granted he floundered as a starter, due to his own limitations among other reasons, and went back to being a back-up afterwards.  He's drafted plenty of 3-5th round QBs to be back-ups with various success after leaving the Saints.

Who? You mean Chase Daniel? He's never been anything but a backup.

Who are the other QB's you're thinking of?

50 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

To me it's a 2 horse race, Saints & Colts, no pun intended.

The Bears, Naggy, didn't know what to do with the QB's he had, and coached the team into a wildcard that would have been a better seed had he just left well enough alone. So I don't really think about that option, let alone playing in Chicago where 1/2 of your season is played outdoors in the cold. And their running game is peanuts compared to the Saints running game. And who is he throwing to?

The Colts, may be a better option, and an exciting team with a lot of opportunity for any QB, young or experienced. The Saints O-line is better than the Colts.

If I'm a competitor, I want to prove it with the Saints. Beat Hill and have him come in for his option plays. But I also know it will ultimately come down to money.

So many things to think about. The Saints have a fun WR corps and that will look even different with a Winston chucking it 60 yards. A great running back, a pretty decent defense, and a full season to know if this coaching staff fits his nature. 

At the end, I still think we remain the front runner, just maybe not the money part.

Good thoughts, Worm.

Thats why the Bears are a contender... of the 3 if Winston gets offers from all, the Bears will likely throw him the most money and take a risk. Both Nagy and Ryan Pace are desperate and in a win now mode for their jobs. Pace time with the Saints has lead him to sign many former saints and if he believes Winston is good enough for Sean Payton then he just might try to pry him away with a deal Jameis can't pass up. Also remember its Chicago, the windy city. They need a quarterback with a strong arm and Winston provides that.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Who? You mean Chase Daniel? He's never been anything but a backup.

Who are the other QB's you're thinking of?

Yeah sorry Chase Daniels... I made a goof.  Also he was signed by KC for big money to be a starter but didn't work out, like 20/year didn't he?  They've all been back-ups he's drafted and never had to start since Brees is Brees.  There were a few Texas Tech QBs I think Garrett Grayson or something like that was one.  I think he was a back-up.  But part of developing a QB is actually providing them the reps needed to improve.  He's never really drafted a real potential future QB because why would you when you have Brees in his prime.  Only the last few years was it evident that it should happen and they lucked into Bridgewater and Winston as cheap options.

• Like 1