New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

I would assume given our salary cap situation we would have to send another high draft pick to have Seattle agree to take on part of his salary for this season if we just trade draft picks away for him. About the only way I think it would be a good move is if we are far apart in negotiations with a guy like Lattimore, and agree to trade him along with a couple 1st round picks. I really struggle with the thought of giving more 1st round picks away than that though as I see it crippling our team. I'd have to be confident that the guy I'm giving away several years worth of these valuable assets for is going to be around for the next decade or so. I don't have that confidence with Wilson. Generally speaking very few of those situations come about where a young top level Franchise QB is available on the trade market. Watson is potentially the only guy that I can think of that may be available that might be worth trading that many high level picks for, but even then I'm a bit skeptical with his injury history.

It sounds like Wilson is only open to a few NFL teams if he's traded and we would be among those teams. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't see Wilson going anywhere. This isn't a Wentz situation and he'd actually cost them more money to trade than keep and they're call situation isn't ideal as is

Agreed. No chance they trade him this year. 

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Agreed. No chance they trade him this year. 

Some speculation I've heard is that this is opening the door for next off season, especially if our up & coming situation, whatever that may be, fails.

To have Wilson identify the Saints as a preferred suitor is pretty awesome. I think that really helps our free agency bargaining power, for the right people, of course.

5 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Hypothetical for you cap watchers/. If for some reason that can’t be understood, Brees doesn’t retire and plays for another team, is there a path for us to manipulate this to our cap advantage?

I don’t believe so, his contract was set to void anyways.