Week 17 - Rams vs Cardinals

RamRod

27 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

IMO we should not, now don't try to twist this to say we won't like has happened in the past, spend even a day 2 pick on a QB. No matter who the QB is going forward we need a future at LT I think Boom is a swing tackle going forward and we need an upgrade at Center and RG with RT eventually because Hav is slipping as well and doesn't do well against speed. Even if we get a new young QB we need to upgrade the line. You give Goff one more year with a cap hit we should not incur by cutting or trading him and you upgrade the line for both him and the running game. Fixing/improving the OL could go a long way for this team in 2021. 

I don't think the OL is in quite as dire of straights. We do need a Whit replacement. I'd like to move Corbett to C and bring in a OG to replace him. Beyond that, I feel good about the OL. As for the QB position, if somebody unexpected fell, I'd draft them. Otherwise, I'd look for a trade or FA. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

IMO we should not, now don't try to twist this to say we won't like has happened in the past, spend even a day 2 pick on a QB. No matter who the QB is going forward we need a future at LT I think Boom is a swing tackle going forward and we need an upgrade at Center and RG with RT eventually because Hav is slipping as well and doesn't do well against speed. Even if we get a new young QB we need to upgrade the line. You give Goff one more year with a cap hit we should not incur by cutting or trading him and you upgrade the line for both him and the running game. Fixing/improving the OL could go a long way for this team in 2021. 

Good point. I’ve noticed Havenstein starts the year off strong then his play wares off as the season progresses. I dont mind notenboom as much but I’ve been pretty disappointed with Blythe this season. 

I def think we need a QB that can push Goff at the very least.  It might not make financial sense  a replacement but we def need one who can at least threaten to take over his spot. After today’s game, I also prefer one who can extend plays with his legs. There were several drives that I think would’ve been three and outs had Goff played. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Props to Wolford for stepping up in his first NFL snaps in such a pivotal game and doing enough to win. But we need Goff against Seattle. That was the same Cardinals defense that Goff lit up earlier in the year to the tune of 350+ passing yards, 31 offensive points, and a 78+% completion percentage. Our offense scored 9 points today. I hope that Whit and Goff are healthy enough to give us their best next week.

Not getting in the endzone was very disappointing, theres no denying it, but I'm hoping we play JW going forward. The constant shots down field, going through the progressions, evading the rush and extending plays I think is what we need on offense. Controlling the time of possession and keeping our defense fresh is the best recipe for success on this team because it is very difficult to score on them. 

It's going to be a widely discussed topic this week that will likely split Rams fans down the middle. We know which side we each stand on. I'm glad when McVay was asked in the post-game presser if Goff would start next week he was non-commital. Hope it's JW going forward, but excited we're in the playoffs vs. a team we are very familiar with in Round 1.

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not getting in the endzone was very disappointing, theres no denying it, but I'm hoping we play JW going forward. The constant shots down field, going through the progressions, evading the rush and extending plays I think is what we need on offense. Controlling the time of possession and keeping our defense fresh is the best recipe for success on this team because it is very difficult to score on them. 

It's going to be a widely discussed topic this week that will likely split Rams fans down the middle. We know which side we each stand on. I'm glad when McVay was asked in the post-game presser if Goff would start next week he was non-commital. Hope it's JW going forward, but excited we're in the playoffs vs. a team we are very familiar with in Round 1.

Wolford averaged just over 6 yards per attempt, led the offense to 9 points, had 287 total yards, and a posted a passer rating of 64.7. Yes, he ran the ball effectively, but he didn't throw it effectively. Against Arizona, Goff led the offense to 31 points, averaged just under 7.5 yards per attempt, had 352 total yards, and posted a passer rating of 104.9. I can only imagine the things you'd be saying about Goff if our offense put up only 9 points and he had numbers like Wolford's against Arizona.

I don't care about shots down the field, evading the rush, or extending plays. I care about putting up points. Jared Goff is better than John Wolford at leading the Rams to points. Why? Because he's a significantly better passer. If Goff is not healthy enough to play, we'll roll with Wolford. I'll hope for the best. He's a gutsy kid and a good athlete. But Jared Goff gives this team a better chance to win. (BTW, since you mentioned time of possession, we actually held the ball longer against Arizona the first time we played than we did this time with Wolford.)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think the OL is in quite as dire of straights. We do need a Whit replacement. I'd like to move Corbett to C and bring in a OG to replace him. Beyond that, I feel good about the OL. As for the QB position, if somebody unexpected fell, I'd draft them. Otherwise, I'd look for a trade or FA. 

Corbett is an interesting thought and many of us thought he'd be our Center by now. But he's had some challenges at Guard and mental lapses that could just as easily happen at Center but yeah I guess he could be a short term stop gap much like we think Blythe is. But that leaves RG and long term if not next year at LT depending on Whit. But I think eventually we need to replace Have. Might not be this year but in Snead style his successor could be a day 3 pick this year as we know he drafts a year ahead of need and he's a free agent after 2022 and can be let go after 2021 and save a nice chunk of cap. No I don't think it's in a dire state but Center at the least needs to be upgraded and if it can be with Corbett then RG is a very big need.

One thing we don't know is what McVay and Kromer think on Anchrum, he's been our backup tackle on game days and was getting the snaps behind Whit when Boom was out. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Wolford averaged just over 6 yards per attempt, led the offense to 9 points, had 287 total yards, and a posted a passer rating of 64.7. Yes, he ran the ball effectively, but he didn't throw it effectively. Against Arizona, Goff led the offense to 31 points, averaged just under 7.5 yards per attempt, had 352 total yards, and posted a passer rating of 104.9. I can only imagine the things you'd be saying about Goff if our offense put up only 9 points and he had numbers like Wolford's against Arizona.

I don't care about shots down the field, evading the rush, or extending plays. I care about putting up points. Jared Goff is better than John Wolford at leading the Rams to points. Why? Because he's a significantly better passer. If Goff is not healthy enough to play, we'll roll with Wolford. I'll hope for the best. He's a gutsy kid and a good athlete. But Jared Goff gives this team a better chance to win. (BTW, since you mentioned time of possession, we actually held the ball longer against Arizona the first time we played than we did this time with Wolford.)

I do.

The points will come. This was his first start ever without our LT, WR1, or RB2. Everett dropped a TD and Akers fumbled on the 1. Those deep shots will eventually connect or lead to PI calls. We know what we get with Jared Goff and turnovers scare me. They kill momentum and hang our defense out to dry. I wouldnt be mad if Goff started next week, but I like the idea of what Wolford could be. It's certainly riskier, but I would roll the dice on JW. Let's see what McVay thinks. He certainly likes him.

Edited by BStanRamFan

3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Corbett is an interesting thought and many of us thought he'd be our Center by now. But he's had some challenges at Guard and mental lapses that could just as easily happen at Center but yeah I guess he could be a short term stop gap much like we think Blythe is. But that leaves RG and long term if not next year at LT depending on Whit. But I think eventually we need to replace Have. Might not be this year but in Snead style his successor could be a day 3 pick this year as we know he drafts a year ahead of need and he's a free agent after 2022 and can be let go after 2021 and save a nice chunk of cap. No I don't think it's in a dire state but Center at the least needs to be upgraded and if it can be with Corbett then RG is a very big need.

One thing we don't know is what McVay and Kromer think on Anchrum, he's been our backup tackle on game days and was getting the snaps behind Whit when Boom was out. 

I don't see Corbett as a short-term stopgap. I think he's a long-term starter at Center. I'm good with Havenstein for now. Speed has always been his weakness. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see Corbett as a short-term stopgap. I think he's a long-term starter at Center. I'm good with Havenstein for now. Speed has always been his weakness. 

I like Corbett as much if not more than anybody, mocked him to us that draft and he's a local college kid so I watched him on Saturdays. But we've seen some up and down play from him that false start tonight was a bad penalty. 

Hav has $8 million cap hits the next two years and yes he's fine for now but I wouldn't mind trying to replace him instead of extending him after this contract. 

Edited by NVRamsFan

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

I like Corbett as much if not more than anybody, mocked him to us that draft and he's a local college kid so I watched him on Saturdays. But we've seen some up and down play from him that false start tonight was a bad penalty. 

Have has $8 million cap hits the next two years and yes he's fine for now but I wouldn't mind trying to replace him instead of extending him after this contract. 

He had a couple false starts. And they ticked me off. But it's important to remember that when you change QBs, the cadence changes. I think he's a middle of the pack player at RG. I think he's a really good Center for us.

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I do.

The points will come. This was his first start ever without our LT, WR1, or RB2. Everett dropped a TD and Akers fumbled on the 1. Those deep shots will eventually connect or lead to PI calls. We know what we get with Jared Goff and turnovers scare me. They kill momentum and hang our defense out to dry. I wouldnt be mad if Goff started next week, but I like the idea of what Wolford could be. It's certainly riskier, but I would roll the dice on JW. Let's see what McVay thinks. He certainly likes him.

If turnovers scare you, neither guy is your flavored. You want Wolford because he's not Goff. That's fine. That's your prerogative. I prefer we play the better QB. If Goff is relatively healthy, that's him.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

He had a couple false starts. And they ticked me off. But it's important to remember that when you change QBs, the cadence changes. I think he's a middle of the pack player at RG. I think he's a really good Center for us.

If turnovers scare you, neither guy is your flavored. You want Wolford because he's not Goff. That's fine. That's your prerogative. I prefer we play the better QB. If Goff is relatively healthy, that's him.

After his first pass, he settled down and didn't turn the ball over. He threw away the ball when nothing was available and didn't force anything. He played conservative and within himself. That's what we need with a defense ranked #1 in the NFL. JW in relation to turnovers is better than Goff.

He's not as good of a pure passer as Goff. Can't argue you with you there. But I like that we can move our QB in space if necessary and pick up first downs to extend drives. I like the deep shots down field to keep the defense honest. Goff is what he is. He can beat Seattle, but I worry how we would fair vs NOLA or GB with him. I'm going with the unknown, which is higher risk, higher reward. Again, excited to see how McVay handles this. He likes him and the players really like him. Kids got spunk lol

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

After his first pass, he settled down and didn't turn the ball over. He threw away the ball when nothing was available and didn't force anything. He played conservative and within himself. That's what we need with a defense ranked #1 in the NFL. JW in relation to turnovers is better than Goff.

He's not as good of a pure passer as Goff. Can't argue you with you there. But I like that we can move our QB in space if necessary and pick up first downs to extend drives. I like the deep shots down field to keep the defense honest. Goff is what he is. He can beat Seattle, but I worry how we would fair vs NOLA or GB with him. I'm going with the unknown, which is higher risk, higher reward. Again, excited to see how McVay handles this. He likes him and the players really like him. Kids got spunk lol

He had a couple other throws in the game that were quite iffy. Arizona's pass defense isn't good. Goff didn't turn it over when we played them. I'm far from convinced he's a safer option than Goff with regard to turnovers.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He had a couple other throws in the game that were quite iffy. Arizona's pass defense isn't good. Goff didn't turn it over when we played them. I'm far from convinced he's a safer option than Goff with regard to turnovers.

There's a play action ball he threw on the right side that looked like it easily could have been picked if the defenders had their head around. 

Ultimately I think whichever QB plays against Seattle we have a shot at winning. In my mind Goff is the better shot but I do think Wolford was promising. 

Side note but I really hope Brycen Hopkins can add a contested catch element to the O. While the offense only scored 9, it's pathetic that it wasn't more due to Everett. Also think Higs should get the far wide looks. 

• Like 2

Most fun watching a football this year.. Dude was wild. Reminded me so much of Austin Davis vs the eagles or the team Before the eagles... But we stand no chance to beat Seattle without Goff. The cards are a very bad defensive team! And we couldn’t get much going! Yes I know the pick 6 and fumble were weird as hell! But after the season we had! Can’t no longer call that flukey! The rams this season have done a terrible job at protecting the football.. If Goff is 60% I wouldn’t play him. Just save him for next year. I just wish he would take a deep shot like before.. It was fun watching John chug it.