Week 17 - Rams vs Cardinals

RamRod

Last week of the season is here.

I know it feels like the wheels are falling off. We'll be out our starting QB, two RBs, and our top WR. I should probably be sweating this game more but I'm actually not. We don't even need to win. As long as the Packers beat the Bears, which is extremely likely, we'll get into the playoffs. 

Part of me is actually really intrigued to see what Wolford can do. He obviously won't be better than Goff but one thing he does on Goff is mobility and I'm curious to see what that brings to the offense.

• Like 2

I'm running through scenarios in my head on how this plays out Sunday. It can go a few different ways, but the main ones are below.

Wolford looks bad. He can look overwhelmed, cause turnovers, not be able to move the ball. If Kupp, Akers, and Henderson are out, I think most reasonable people would understand that he wasn't set up with the BEST chance to succeed, but the defense will likely keep us in this game. If the Packers win, Wolfords performance will be chalked up as 'who cares' and we hope Goff comes back for the playoffs.

Wolford looks good. This is the scariest scenario because it could lead to a controversy and give McVay a tough decision the following week. If Wolf plays well, makes some plays with his legs and in PA, we put up 24 points and no turnovers, then McVay has to wonder if this team is best served with Wolf at QB limiting turnovers and having the flexibiltiy of a mobile QB along with playing great defense/running the ball.  Playing with a lead will be key for Wolf's success (and the team's) in this scenario.

Wolford looks Meh. Probably the most likely scenario. He makes a few good plays, he makes some bad ones and has 1-2 turnovers. We win/advance from Packers and Goff is greeted with open arms the following week in round 1.

We lose/Packers lose. This scenario BLOWS. We miss the playoffs after feeling great all year about the team and have all offseason to overthink the Goff situation and what McVay will do with bringing in a Vet or draft someone in round 2 to challenge Goff. The media won't make it any better, the LA market won't make it any better, and the LAC having their QB of the future will add pressure to the franchise to get that piece. I know some will scoff at this concept (Who cares about the media?); the optics matters and especially in a city such as LA jockeying for attention of fans with Lakers, Dodgers, Chargers, etc, it matters just a little bit more

All I care about is Rams making the playoffs. I’m going to bet EVERYTHING Packers win because they too are fighting for the 1 seed AND ARod getting MVP. So this to me feels sorta like 2017 when the Rams had nothing to play for so they sat their starters Week 17 against the Niners. 

I know in this case is different because injuries and covid plus the Rams aren’t officially locked in yet but again the Packers aren’t losing to the Bears. If they do then I throw my hands up and say 2020 was just so crazy it had to end like this lol. With all that being said, if Murray doesn’t play I still think the Rams win. They have the better defense whom I assume alone will not let this team lose. Plus there is something to be said that McVay has beaten the Cards seven straight times. He has never lost to them and honestly it’s not have even been close. I think Donald will take over this game getting multiple sacks. The Rams finally force multiple turnovers and might even have a defensive score. Rams win 17-10. I might even be generous with 10pts because I think no Murray or at best an extremely limited Murray against a dominant defense who knows they have to play extra special to help pick up the offense in this game. They will come out to play. Just like I think ARod will go to cement his MVP against the Bears, Donald will go cement his DPOY against the Cards. I said (10-6) and the playoffs for the Rams and I’m one win away from that being correct. 

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kyler Murray is officially playing Sunday 

If Kyler is hobbled and can't move well, it'll be tough on him on Sunday. This defense is really good, and last time we played them, we mush-rushed him very effectively. If he's trapped in the pocket due to his mobility being hindered, he'll have his work cut out for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If Kyler is hobbled and can't move well, it'll be tough on him on Sunday. This defense is really good, and last time we played them, we mush-rushed him very effectively. If he's trapped in the pocket due to his mobility being hindered, he'll have his work cut out for him.

Yeah if you thought Kyler struggling from a bad shoulder in the first meeting, I dont want to think how he will do with a bad leg. What is the sack record in a single game? In the words of Steve Mariucci, the Rams will smash that record lol. I honestly fear for Kyler to get hurt worst and it could effect him heading into the start of next season. I know the Cards have to win to have any shot at the playoffs but if Kyler gets hurt worst their season next year could be compromised. All I can think about is RGIII when he got hurt then tried to come back in the playoffs and got hurt again and has never been the same. 

• Like 1

Even if we make the playoffs, will Goff be healthy enough to play next week? Does anybody know the timeline for healing a broken thumb after surgery? Will John Wolford start in a playoff game??!

How great would it be if Wolford led us to a Super Bowl after Goff led the whole regular season, just like Foles did with Wentz? And then Goff and Wentz both have their careers fizzle together, just like they came into the league together...

1 hour ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

Even if we make the playoffs, will Goff be healthy enough to play next week? Does anybody know the timeline for healing a broken thumb after surgery? Will John Wolford start in a playoff game??!

McVay implied Goff will be back for the playoffs if we make it. We shall see.

How great would it be if Wolford led us to a Super Bowl after Goff led the whole regular season, just like Foles did with Wentz? And then Goff and Wentz both have their careers fizzle together, just like they came into the league together...

Winning a Super Bowl would be great, but Goff's career fizzling out would definitely not be great.