2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

Sorry guys but the GM's know more than we do. They have all the info and we don't. I'm still pretty high on Sam. I think this kid came to the league so young. He was the youngest starting QB in NFL history week 1. This kid is still leaning the league. If you think about it Texas football had QB's that we just a few months younger than him starting high school games. We have all said on here the biggest problem is no one gives these QB's a chance to learn. Then you add a bad team with no weapons or OL ya that kid is dead in the water. Sam is the same age as a 5th year senior coming into the draft and Sam alreday been in the league 3 years. Then you add in the late start with mono and the injuries and the really bad coaching by Gase is just not good. The probably with Sam is not his throws beacsue he can make all the throws. The problem is he had very little time so he had to throw to his first read or a quick guess on his second read which lead to a guy covered beacsue the WR are so bad they could not seperate fast enough. I'm with Saleh, JD and the rest of the GM's in the NFL that Sam can be they guy and we have the cash and picks to build around him. The kid even said he wants to be a Jet for life and will do whatever it takes. Now you guys want to bring in Watson who has turned on the Texans and wants to be a GM and make decisons. Who to say he will not do that to us in 2 or 3 years. Is Watson that good when he carried a lot better talened Texans team to 4 wins.  Sam was hurt for some of the seson and brought the Jets to 2 wins and alomst a few more like the Raiders game. I'm just saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side. 

13 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Sorry guys but the GM's know more than we do. They have all the info and we don't. I'm still pretty high on Sam. I think this kid came to the league so young. He was the youngest starting QB in NFL history week 1. This kid is still leaning the league. If you think about it Texas football had QB's that we just a few months younger than him starting high school games. We have all said on here the biggest problem is no one gives these QB's a chance to learn. Then you add a bad team with no weapons or OL ya that kid is dead in the water. Sam is the same age as a 5th year senior coming into the draft and Sam alreday been in the league 3 years. Then you add in the late start with mono and the injuries and the really bad coaching by Gase is just not good. The probably with Sam is not his throws beacsue he can make all the throws. The problem is he had very little time so he had to throw to his first read or a quick guess on his second read which lead to a guy covered beacsue the WR are so bad they could not seperate fast enough. I'm with Saleh, JD and the rest of the GM's in the NFL that Sam can be they guy and we have the cash and picks to build around him. The kid even said he wants to be a Jet for life and will do whatever it takes. Now you guys want to bring in Watson who has turned on the Texans and wants to be a GM and make decisons. Who to say he will not do that to us in 2 or 3 years. Is Watson that good when he carried a lot better talened Texans team to 4 wins.  Sam was hurt for some of the seson and brought the Jets to 2 wins and alomst a few more like the Raiders game. I'm just saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side. 

Yes Sam was put into a crap situation for three years. But look at the attached video of his 11 ints from last year. Objectively tell me which ones were not Sam’s fault and which ones were. In my view, many of his ints were because he could not read a defense or were just bad throws. I can forgive the QB when a WR runs a wrong route, I can forgive a bad throw late in a game to try and do something, but too many were on Sam and his poor decision making. Watch and decide.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Regardless of what they think he is definitely part of it. I want to believe in him badly but hat notion scares me. Gase was a terrible hiring, his play calling was often terrible and offense typically vanilla. However, if you watch some video of Shannahans offense and notice some of the concepts he runs, watch video on darnold and gase has run a few of those concepts as well including the popular burner concept. I hate to say it but some of the times Gase was quoted in saying "right play call, poor execution" he was right. I just thnk we need to start fresh with this new regime. I really wish it wasnt the case. 

I think the vast majority of you who hate Darnold don't take into consideration is... CONFIDENCE!!!

I don't know how many of you have played sports at a high level. I played College baseball and I know @xenajetsplayed professional soccer in the UK. So I'm sure he can agree with this as well. Confidence is everything in a player in any sport. Darnold had 0 confidence this year. And it showed. Look at the end of the 2019 season when his confidence was high and see how he performed with the same awful HC, worse OL and still a less than impressive group of weapons.

A new HC, a new OC, a new QB coach, revamped weapons. Might be all he needs to take that leap. Bc he will have the confidence back in his game. 

39 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yes Sam was hurt.  He's never played a full season.  Just add that to a long list of reasons why we should be moving on.  

The Texans had a historically bad defense last year and we're terrible in 1 score games.  I read a statistics report that said if the one score games balanced out HOU should have been a 7 win team.

That was all Watson.  The second he steps on the field we are a 7+ win team already most likely.

People are seriously underrating this guy's impact based on one season with an historically bad defense.

He had Cooks and an oft injured Fuller and a past his prime DJ.  Where is all this talent HOU has?

If some team wants to offer up a late 1 for Sam let them.  I'd make the deal today if PIT offered their 1st.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the vast majority of you who hate Darnold don't take into consideration is... CONFIDENCE!!!

I don't know how many of you have played sports at a high level. I played College baseball and I know @xenajetsplayed professional soccer in the UK. So I'm sure he can agree with this as well. Confidence is everything in a player in any sport. Darnold had 0 confidence this year. And it showed. Look at the end of the 2019 season when his confidence was high and see how he performed with the same awful HC, worse OL and still a less than impressive group of weapons.

A new HC, a new OC, a new QB coach, revamped weapons. Might be all he needs to take that leap. Bc he will have the confidence back in his game. 

I played D3 football and ran Track at William Penn in Iowa. My football team was bad. We lost some games by 50 points. I was the RB and played some safety too. The line was so bad that everytime I got the ball there was 2 or 3 guys with in arm reach of me. You need a good OL to do anything no mater the level. You are 100% correct on confidence. My high school teams we won states several times here in Maine at class C level. You could tell before the game we where just not going to win but kill them. When I was at Penn it was more joking and partying. The team had no real focus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Yes Sam was put into a crap situation for three years. But look at the attached video of his 11 ints from last year. Objectively tell me which ones were not Sam’s fault and which ones were. In my view, many of his ints were because he could not read a defense or were just bad throws. I can forgive the QB when a WR runs a wrong route, I can forgive a bad throw late in a game to try and do something, but too many were on Sam and his poor decision making. Watch and decide.

This is what I saw.

There where a few that Sam could not step into the throw making it a bad throw. Then there was 2 where the WR just stopped running on what looked like a timed route. Then the other ones where just mental mistakes that can be fixed no problem because he threw across his body and across the field. I did see a few throws that where his problem like a few over throws which is common in the NFL for most QB. You also have to remember that the Jets went against the best D's in the league. They had the Rams, Bills x2 and the 49ers. Sam played 12 games and 4 of those games where aginst the best D in the league. He looked great aginst the best D in the league to @ LA.  I just think that Sam is just as good as Wilson and Fields. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah confidence is a big thing for sure. Especially with mentally weaker players. I think in a good environment Sam could thrive....that could be here if we commit fully to him this offseason but I still think a ‘divorce’ will be the best outcome. 

I was very even keeled when I played. My biggest annoyance was players who you just couldn’t ‘trust’. Like one game they would be all world level and the next they’d be useless. Really comes down to whatever it take for that player to get their mojo back. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well, that's the thing Bobby. The football QB needs confidence, even when he is sucking rocks. He needs to lead, be the team leader and never get fazed by his bad play. That is part of his job. Just as one example, Jameis Winston never seems to lose his confidence, even when he is setting interception records. 

I mean, we are three years in with this guy and we really don't know what he is as a QB. Is he a game manager? Is he a downfield thrower? Is he an RPO guy? 

Yes, part of that is on Gase but at the end of the day, this league is about results. Darnold has shown nothing to suggest he is the answer to our QB issues. We can continue to cross fingers and hope that he figures his bleep out, but we have a new regime. We have a lot of positive energy now. Why ruin that by keeping around a stark reminder of everything that is wrong with this franchise?

Cut the chord and move on. Get a veteran QB. Draft another one. Let's go.

First off show me one post that has anyone saying they hated Sam. None of us hate Sam. The question is if we think he can improve moving forward. That’s it. Hate has nothing to do with it. Did I ever say you hated Q? Nope.

As for the confidence thing, I can agree with that. If Saleh and his staff think Sam can be fixed, great. I have my doubts backed by evidence. Did you even watch the video?  Can those bad decisions be improved upon in one year?  Will his confidence come back in one year?

I truly would love Sam to be the QB we all thought he could be. I just have serious doubts. With the opportunity to select a talented prospect without trading up, I just think that may be a better way to go. 

23 minutes ago, xrade said:

First off show me one post that has anyone saying they hated Sam. None of us hate Sam. The question is if we think he can improve moving forward. That’s it. Hate has nothing to do with it. Did I ever say you hated Q? Nope.

As for the confidence thing, I can agree with that. If Saleh and his staff think Sam can be fixed, great. I have my doubts backed by evidence. Did you even watch the video?  Can those bad decisions be improved upon in one year?  Will his confidence come back in one year?

I truly would love Sam to be the QB we all thought he could be. I just have serious doubts. With the opportunity to select a talented prospect without trading up, I just think that may be a better way to go. 

I shouldn't have used the word Hate. I was more meaning that most of you would be hugely disappointed with him as our staring QB next year. 

I shouldn't have used the word Hate. I was more meaning that most of you would be hugely disappointed with him as our staring QB next year. 

I wouldn’t. As I have repeatedly stated, if they think Sam can be our QB I will be all on board. My disappointment will come if they get rid of Sam and draft anyone except Fields, Wilson or Lawrence with the intent to start then sooner rather than later. Or if they sign a FA QB like Winston with the idea that he will be the QBOTF.

My list:

Watson, Wilson/Fields, Sam

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I wouldn’t. As I have repeatedly stated, if they think Sam can be our QB I will be all on board. My disappointment will come if they get rid of Sam and draft anyone except Fields, Wilson or Lawrence with the intent to start then sooner rather than later. Or if they sign a FA QB like Winston with the idea that he will be the QBOTF.

My list:

Watson, Wilson/Fields, Sam

That's my list as well.

My priority list is more this though...

1. Watson: barring us not selling the whole future for him

2, Stick with Darnold and make surrounding him with talent a HUGE priority

3. Draft Wilson or Fields (I cant decide who I like more yet)

31 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They dont. 

This fan base, website in particular would have had us drafting absolute studs year in and year out. Sure we've been wrong but not at the rate our GMs have been.

You are making a very big assumption that Idzik and Mac were GM’s. My cockapoo could draft better those two *** hats. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They dont. 

This fan base, website in particular would have had us drafting absolute studs year in and year out. Sure we've been wrong but not at the rate our GMs have been.

I’m talking about JD and the rest of the GM in the NFL. JD make some picks that I question but they turned out pretty good. I wanted Wirf or Becton. I was not a fan of the Davis pick. I trust JD and would stand by his picks over mine or anyone else on this board. The GM’s before him not so much.