Week 17 GDT - Broncos VS Raiders!

Dbrog24

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You think they shop patrick? 

Patrick's a UFA.  They will likely let him walk.

EDIT:  He's a RFA....problem is he's an UDFA.   So unclear where they go, with a 2nd round tender, or original round - which basically lets him walk.

Unlikely he gets a lot - the WR market is so flooded with 2 strong drafts (last year, and now this one).

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, big_palooka said:

How do you keep Fangio after that game? Those timeouts were egregious. Bailed the Raiders out twice.

Ownership is in limbo, there's no one with deep pockets.   He's done after next year, but pretty clear they're going to play out the string for next year with Elway/Fangio.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Ownership is in limbo, there's no one with deep pockets.   He's done after next year, but pretty clear they're going to play out the string for next year with Elway/Fangio.

Makes sense I suppose. Seems ridiculous to have a lame duck coach/gm however.

But my god... that whole sequence to end the game was some of the worst coaching decisions I can remember seeing and I watch the Raiders each week. 

OK, simple summary:

-On O, Jeudy took a while (LOL), but he also showed why he's worth the 1st round pick.  He'll be fine.    FWIW, the refs missed 2 penalties he drew, and yet again, he showed his ability to separate and YAC ability.    Barring injury, he's going to be special.

-Big shout out to the D for coming up and showing up.  FOUR TO's.   Can't ask for more.

-Our secondary got toasted late, but that was to be expected.   Can't fault them.

-Our inabiity to convert the TO's into points, and our RZ inefficiency, cost us dearly.    As I said, this was a game we should have put up points.  You give us a +4 in TO's, we should win - the game management and failure to convert on 3rd downs was a killer.

-Fangio's a bottom 5 game manager.  There's just no way to spin it otherwise.   TWICE the Raiders were in disarray (4th and goal, and the 2-pt convert, they didn't even have personnel on the field with 15 secs left to go) - and TWICE Fangio called TO.  And then left the O with no TO's left.    Unbelievably classic incompetent game management.

-Lock was a microcosm of his season - flashes of the tools that would make him thrive in this O - and some key missed reads/throws on 3rd down (Raiders bringing pressure in RZ really had him off).    

I don't think today should do anything to change the FO plan - bring in a vet to compete legitimately with Lock, Rd1 rookie QB only if an OMG-can't-pass-him-up guy is there when we pick (unlikely, but who knows).   But make no mistake, I think 2021 will be Fangio's last as HC.   If we can afford it - DEN really should think about bringing in a game management coach - whose job is literally just to make sure Fangio doesn't F up (knowing to use TO's, let him know about win probability with 4th and short at certain parts of field).  I am skeptical we will, but it's worth considering - Fangio is that bad at that part of the game.  He's a wonderful DC - but overmatched in game management.   

I won't be upset at the L - as long as the hurt guys are OK long-term.   Jeudy's rebound, the team's effort, and the TO's point to better days ahead - when Fangio isn't the HC.   We're headed in the right direction, but we won't go anywhere unless we have the real contender level QB.   Today was never going to answer that Q in Lock's case, so it makes for another interesting offseason of debate (LOL).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Makes sense I suppose. Seems ridiculous to have a lame duck coach/gm however.

But my god... that whole sequence to end the game was some of the worst coaching decisions I can remember seeing and I watch the Raiders each week. 

To be fair, Anthony Lynn wins hands-down.   You can't surpass years of consistent ineptitude (Fangio's trying to catch up quickly though lol).

Fangio's just trying hard to get the nod as worst HC game manager around once Gase & Lynn are canned on Monday.  It's too bad - he really is a top 5 DC IMO.   But HC game manager is literally bottom 5 - and that's with Gase/Lynn around.   Going to be in rarified air at this pace.

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Looking like we’ll be at the #9 pick in the draft.

In a best-case scenario, Parsons or Lance are there (if we don't want Lance, someone else might).   I'll save that for the College Prospects thread lol, but Parsons on D, and Lance (with an incredibly low floor, to be clear) are the home run hitters that might fall that far.   Maybe.  But we had no shot at 13-15 for either guy, so I'll take it.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If Philly wins I think we get #8?  I could be wrong though

You are correct.   Go Iggles!

EDIT:  Nope, they are 5-10-1 with a W.  Damn.   Oh well, I'll still take 9 over 12.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Patrick's a UFA.  They will likely let him walk.

EDIT:  He's a RFA....problem is he's an UDFA.   So unclear where they go, with a 2nd round tender, or original round - which basically lets him walk.

Unlikely he gets a lot - the WR market is so flooded with 2 strong drafts (last year, and now this one).

I don’t think there’s any reason to overthink this; 2nd round tender and move on. 

• Like 1