BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

59 minutes ago, Blue said:

Fields obviously isn't ready to play at the NFL level. But Nagy knows he's gonna get fired if he doesn't win this year and Fields is still a better option than Dalton. Classic case of what's good for the coach isn't good for the player or the team.

One of my favorite things about mobile QBs is they can be awful passers early in their career and still help win games by their rushing ability. We’ve seen teams win with 125 yards passing and viable running performances that also open lanes for the RBs.

That’s what should be going on for Lance and Fields at least. Super disappointed with coaching staffs in that regard.

• Like 1

Just now, MD4L said:

One of my favorite things about mobile QBs is they can be awful passers early in their career and still help win games by their rushing ability. We’ve seen teams win with 125 yards passing and viable running performances that also open lanes for the RBs.

That’s what should be going on for Lance and Fields at least. Super disappointed with coaching staffs in that regard.

I was reading up on Fields and it seems like the big issue is that Nagy is trying to shoehorn Fields into his system instead of building a system around Fields a la Daboll and Josh Allen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I was reading up on Fields and it seems like the big issue is that Nagy is trying to shoehorn Fields into his system instead of building a system around Fields a la Daboll and Josh Allen.

This shouldn’t be that hard. Fields has 4.44 so he should project as a dynamic open field runner. I’m not one of those guys who recommends job changes every week but if you have to safe Nagy or Fields you at least have the conversation. 

Allen is always going to be the example used for how a QB should progress but I think it's selling him short and will get those thinking it can be replicated in sticky situations.

He's one of the greatest athletes to ever play QB and came from a historically crap program for a prospect of his quality. Literally any NFL coach, including Nagy would've been a big upgrade on what he had at Wyoming. On top of that, even though like 75% of that year 1 Buffalo offense he had was out of the league a couple years later, it was still also a marked upgrade on Wyoming.

He was always going to be good once he hit the NFL (and basically was a decent QB as a rookie). Buffalo then did a good job putting pieces around him to go from good QB to arguably best in the league. 

Fields definitely needs some better playmaking and the coaching could be better, but there's also going to be the adjustment period when you leave a dominant national title contender and join one of the worse NFL teams. I wouldn't be too worried about him for the time being - It's more a matter of how he deals with the adversity.

5 minutes ago, MD4L said:

This shouldn’t be that hard. Fields has 4.44 so he should project as a dynamic open field runner. I’m not one of those guys who recommends job changes every week but if you have to safe Nagy or Fields you at least have the conversation. 

Move the pocket to help out the OTs, allow Fields the option to run, layer routes to the side you've moved the pocket to to allow for easier reads.

2 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Allen is always going to be the example used for how a QB should progress but I think it's selling him short and will get those thinking it can be replicated in sticky situations.

He's one of the greatest athletes to ever play QB and came from a historically crap program for a prospect of his quality. Literally any NFL coach, including Nagy would've been a big upgrade on what he had at Wyoming. On top of that, even though like 75% of that year 1 Buffalo offense he had was out of the league a couple years later, it was still also a marked upgrade on Wyoming.

He was always going to be good once he hit the NFL (and basically was a decent QB as a rookie). Buffalo then did a good job putting pieces around him to go from good QB to arguably best in the league. 

Fields definitely needs some better playmaking and the coaching could be better, but there's also going to be the adjustment period when you leave a dominant national title contender and join one of the worse NFL teams. I wouldn't be too worried about him for the time being - It's more a matter of how he deals with the adversity.

Josh Allen obviously had a whole lot to do with his success, but I dont think he reaches his current level just anywhere.  Fields is a similar caliber athlete.  And Josh was pretty awful as a passer his rookie year.

I'd use the Josh example more as what not to do.  And the Bears have done all the wrong things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Move the pocket to help out the OTs, allow Fields the option to run, layer routes to the side you've moved the pocket to to allow for easier reads.

Even if he really struggles making easy reads, you fully commit to RPOs, start running 35-45 times a game and when you throw,

A) deep shots to Mooney 

B) relentlessly target Allen Robinson in the intermediate area.

To be clear this is a simple offense but if that’s what brings a version of Field that you can win with then apply it.

14 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Even if he really struggles making easy reads, you fully commit to RPOs, start running 35-45 times a game and when you throw,

A) deep shots to Mooney 

To be clear this is a simple offense but if that’s what brings a version of Field that you can win with then apply it.

If he is struggling that badly on his reads, he might need the Rosen treatment.  But I do agree that you find some way to help him and adapt your offense to his skills 

18 minutes ago, MD4L said:

A) deep shots to Mooney 

This is the way.

Until he gets hurt.

2 hours ago, WFLukic said:

You could also have arguably the best QB in the league, 3 of the leagues best receivers and one of the best receiving tight ends but always seem to end up in defensive slugfests against rag tag secondary groups lol.

You are describing me lol

• Like 1