Which teams should NOT consider trading for D. Watson?

Uncle Buck

There is another thread discussing Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson possibly requesting a trade.  For the sake of the Texans, I hope this doesn't happen.  One question I had is which teams in the league should not be on the phone to Houston if he were actually on the market.  At first, I thought the list was pretty short, but I could be wrong.  Do you think your team is in a position where they should be trying to trade for Deshaun Watson, even if the price is high?

Only the Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals and maybe Jax (Lawrence depending of course) shouldn't imo. They are tied to Mahomes and that albatross of a contract forever and Herbert looks like a stud on a rookie deal. Similar with Burrow and to be Lawrence. Every other team should inquire about him either because he is a clear upgrade OR their good QB is getting old/needs to be PAID in the next couple seasons. Watson is a stud franchise QB who is 25 and under contract for 4 years IIRC. He's one of the most valuable players in the league and 95% of teams should be making offers.

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 2

I will say that the Jaguars should not consider trading for him.  They have the rights to Trevor Lawrence, and although he is an unproven commodity in the NFL, I like his chances to be as good as Watson.  Lawrence would also be just starting out on a 5-year rookie deal too, which is valuable.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

For my old team, I brought this up in the Vikings Forum, thinking that they should be on the phone immediately, but other posters in there made some good points as to why it probably wouldn't be worth it for what they would need to give up.  I think if they could find a way to include Kirk Cousins in the deal, and maybe another Pro Bowl caliber player, it might be a good enough deal to make Houston consider it, depending on how unhappy Deshaun is there.  A couple first round picks, Kirk Cousins, and maybe a some other players like Adam Theilen or Harrison Smith maybe be worth it for both sides.  Hard to say.

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Only the Chiefs or Chargers shouldn't imo. They are tied to Mahomes and that albatross of a contract forever and Herbert looks like a stud on a rookie deal. Every other team should inquire about him either because he is a clear upgrade OR their good QB is getting old/needs to be PAID in the next couple seasons. Watson is a stud franchise QB who is 25 and under contract for 4 years IIRC. He's one of the most valuable players in the league and 95% of teams should be making offers.

That was my initial thought too, although I added the Jaguars to the list.  The thing is, when you think about it a little more, there other teams who are good enough at QB where the price may not justify what they would have to give up.  Other teams that have been mentioned were Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Arizona.  It's interesting to think about all the different scenarios.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I will say that the Jaguars should not consider trading for him.  They have the rights to Trevor Lawrence, and although he is an unproven commodity in the NFL, I like his chances to be as good as Watson.  Lawrence would also be just starting out on a 5-year rookie deal too, which is valuable.

With the Jags current cap situation I think they would be foolish to not try to trade for him. They've played this game before with Bortles, who is obviously not nearly the prospect that Lawrence is, but I think you take the proven commodity. 

The list of teams that would actually be able to trade for Watson is pretty short imo. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

With the Jags current cap situation I think they would be foolish to not try to trade for him. They've played this game before with Bortles, who is obviously not nearly the prospect that Lawrence is, but I think you take the proven commodity. 

The list of teams that would actually be able to trade for Watson is pretty short imo. 

How about the Packers?  That's another interesting situation. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That was my initial thought too, although I added the Jaguars to the list.  The thing is, when you think about it a little more, there other teams who are good enough at QB where the price may not justify what they would have to give up.  Other teams that have been mentioned were Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Arizona.  It's interesting to think about all the different scenarios.

I love Deshaun but we've got a 24 year old QB with 2 more years of his rookie contract and an MVP on his resume who, in a relative down year where he got COVID and apparently everyone had figured him out, still put up 30+ TD's and dragged us to the playoffs. No real reason for the Ravens to entertain taking a run at Deshaun especially when for everything Lamar has already accomplished, there's also still noticeable areas for achievable improvement as he continues to progress. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

For my old team, I brought this up in the Vikings Forum, thinking that they should be on the phone immediately, but other posters in there made some good points as to why it probably wouldn't be worth it for what they would need to give up.  I think if they could find a way to include Kirk Cousins in the deal, and maybe another Pro Bowl caliber player, it might be a good enough deal to make Houston consider it, depending on how unhappy Deshaun is there.  A couple first round picks, Kirk Cousins, and maybe a some other players like Adam Theilen or Harrison Smith maybe be worth it for both sides.  Hard to say.

Are you not a Vikings fan anymore?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

How about the Packers?  That's another interesting situation. 

Unfortunately not something we would be remotely able to do. We don't have the cap, we can't get out of Aaron's cap hit in 2021 and it doesn't make sense to have Watson and Aaron next year with their cap hits. We don't have anything to offer the Texans other than late picks and Jordan Love, maybe Jaire. 

It's just bad timing for the Packers. In a year? Sure. 

The Dolphins, Jets, Jaguars are the easy 3 teams to look at. Then the Colts, Patriots being teams with limited to offer but have the cap. Lions and Panthers could be dark horse options. Falcons need a QB but them and the Saints have negative a billion cap. 49ers and Eagles have no cap space. Bengals could, but don't see why they would when Burrow has looked good.  Broncos maybe? There's less spots that would work than you'd think imo

12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

There aren't too many prospects in which I would disagree with you on this, but I do think Trevor Lawrence is one of those rare few.  He has so much promise that I'd be willing to roll the dice with him.  Even though the Jags have a lot of cap room, I think it's worth taking the risk to get TL on a rookie contract and then they can spend their cap room in other areas.  They are a team that actually has some decent players, so I could see them being built into a contender fairly quickly.  It's hard to go wrong either way, though I guess.

14 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I love Deshaun but we've got a 24 year old QB with 2 more years of his rookie contract and an MVP on his resume who, in a relative down year where he got COVID and apparently everyone had figured him out, still put up 30+ TD's and dragged us to the playoffs. No real reason for the Ravens to entertain taking a run at Deshaun especially when for everything Lamar has already accomplished, there's also still noticeable areas for achievable improvement as he continues to progress. 

On top of all that, he looks pretty boss in those shades too!  I didn't think about the Ravens originally, but I think you are right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Unfortunately not something we would be remotely able to do. We don't have the cap, we can't get out of Aaron's cap hit in 2021 and it doesn't make sense to have Watson and Aaron next year with their cap hits. We don't have anything to offer the Texans other than late picks and Jordan Love, maybe Jaire. 

It's just bad timing for the Packers. In a year? Sure. 

The Dolphins, Jets, Jaguars are the easy 3 teams to look at. Then the Colts, Patriots being teams with limited to offer but have the cap. Lions and Panthers could be dark horse options. Falcons need a QB but them and the Saints have negative a billion cap. 49ers and Eagles have no cap space. Bengals could, but don't see why they would when Burrow has looked good.  Broncos maybe? There's less spots that would work than you'd think imo

If he actually gets traded and ends up in New England, I'll be really annoyed.