Which teams should NOT consider trading for D. Watson?

Uncle Buck

Every single fan right now: "Yeah I mean he's great but it doesn't really make sense because when you combine who we have now together with our draft picks and cap situation you'll see that blah blah blah......."

Every single fan if their team traded for Watson: "OH YEAH BABY WHAT A MOVE! WHAT AN AGGRESSIVE, YET SHREWD TRADE!"

• Like 1

Chiefs for sure. I think Watson is maybe the only player in the league with value comparable to Mahomes, in terms of the combination of proven success and youth, but there's no reason for KC to make that swap.

I would imagine Seattle, Buffalo, Arizona, and Baltimore are all sufficiently committed to their current guys, long enough term, to not be interested. Could maybe even throw Cleveland in there, after this year.

I don't think you look too hard at it if you're Cincy or LAC. Even if Burrow and Herbert never become as good as Watson, I think you still feel better with your current guy, plus the compensation you'd have to give up in return, than you would with just Watson. Either team making that trade likely puts him behind a bad OL without the resources to improve it in coming years.

New Orleans, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay would all likely love to have him as their heir apparent, but I don't think any would be willing to do what it would be worth cap and roster management wise in order to make that happen. And Houston doesn't have the kind of cap situation where, within the trade, they could also aid the other team's cap situation. Philly and Minnesota have similar cap struggles, but a more immediate upgrade situation. But again, it'd be difficult and messy to get it done.

A few teams, it just depends on where they sit in a number of areas. For Dallas, Tennessee, LAR, and LVR, I think it's a clear upgrade, no question. They're not the best cap situations, but they could find ways to make it work, especially if you get a QB for QB trade in there. But what are the lockerroom ramifications? How committed are they to their guys long term? They'd ultimately fall in a category, I think, where it would be interesting, but the trade off might not ultimately be worth it when you look at the cap, the picks you'd give up, the turn you'd be taking in long term roster plans, etc.

I think every other team should at least make a call. I know everyone loves Lawrence, but if I'm Jacksonville, I'd gladly have the sure thing instead. Just depends on how much you'd have to give up. Jets, Patriots, Football Team, Dolphins, 49ers, Broncos, Panthers, Lions, Giants, Bears, Bucs, Colts, no question, you reach out. It's either a clear, immediate upgrade, and makes your team an immediate contender, a QBOTF when you have someone you'll be moving on from soon anyway, or you have basically nothing going on at the QB position right now anyway. And maybe some of those above still put out a feeler. If you're Philly or Atlanta or Minnesota, maybe you can convince them to take some bad contracts and your old QB in the swap. It is the Texans, after all.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Are you not a Vikings fan anymore?

Nope.  After about 2 years of soul-searching, I've decided I needed a change.  It's a long story, but I ended up going to the team that was the closest to doing what I would do if I were the owner of the Vikings.  They had a garage sale, got rid of all their older/expensive players, and had a horrible season that ended up securing a guy who they hope will be a true franchise quarterback.  After putting in 50 years with the Vikings, I decided that was just never going to happen.  I'm guessing I probably only have about 20-25 years left, if I'm lucky, so I decided to pull up stakes and move on to the Jags.  (I'm also planning on moving down south in the next few years anyway, so I figured, why not?)

I will still be cheering on the Vikings from afar.  If they finally do win a Super Bowl without me, I won't be upset about it.  I will be happy for all of you fans who are still hanging in there and hoping they can do it.  They have been a remarkably successful franchise.  They just haven't gotten that last win of the season.  They are bound to do it eventually.  When it happens, just remember that Uncle Buck will be happy for you.

giphy.gif

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Nope.  After about 2 years of soul-searching, I've decided I needed a change.  It's a long story, but I ended up going to the team that was the closest to doing what I would do if I were the owner of the Vikings.  They had a garage sale, got rid of all their older/expensive players, and had a horrible season that ended up securing a guy who they hope will be a true franchise quarterback.  After putting in 50 years with the Vikings, I decided that was just never going to happen.  I'm guessing I probably only have about 20-25 years left, if I'm lucky, so I decided to pull up stakes and move on to the Jags.  (I'm also planning on moving down south in the next few years anyway, so I figured, why not?)

I will still be cheering on the Vikings from afar.  If they finally do win a Super Bowl without me, I won't be upset about it.  I will be happy for all of you fans who are still hanging in there and hoping they can do it.  They have been a remarkably successful franchise.  They just haven't gotten that last win of the season.  They are bound to do it eventually.  When it happens, just remember that Uncle Buck will be happy for you.

giphy.gif

Yeah I completely understand. Hope Lawrence works out. I'll continue to revel in the mediocrity that is the Minnesota Vikings

• Like 1

KC, LAC, JAX & BAL.

BAL I have to include simply because Watson's average athleticism would prevent him from getting to the locker & back in time to pull out last-minute wins.   That's clearly now a requirement in Raven-land.   Watson's #4, not great at #2.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

KC, LAC, JAX & BAL.

BAL I have to include simply because Watson's average athleticism would prevent him from getting to the locker & back in time to pull out last-minute wins.   That's clearly now a requirement in Raven-land.   Watson's #4, not great at #2.

How do you know the man isn’t great at #2?

I think trade compensation and cap space issues kinda gum up this discussion, so I'll just say this...

If you were Madden 64 fantasy drafting the entire league, I think Deshaun Watson goes #2 overall after Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes is the only one who has a more attractive combination of TALENT/ABILITY, YOUTH, and PROVEN..ness(?)

So any discussion beyond that comes down to what a team would be willing to part with in terms of draft capital in order to make the upgrade.

• Like 2