2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

36 minutes ago, BigTimeRedskins said:

Allen Robinson got tagged, but Golladay did not. Someone's going to probably overpay for him. I imagine it'll be around 18m a year. I'll guess 5 years, 90m total. Who? No idea.

That’s a tough one for me. I like Golladay but he’s had several years he’s battled injuries. I’m not sure if he’s worth a Michael Thomas/Amari Copper type contract but then again if we want a WR anywhere close to that caliber we are going to have to pay that much for them.

Beyond that, there’s also the fact that in two years we are going to have to give Terry McLaurin that type of $ in 2023 and I’d rather give that huge contract to Terry rather than an order FA WR from another team.

I’ve said this for a while, I think the safer bet is to sign one of the FA WRs who aren’t in the top tier to be our #2 WR and then in two years re-sign Terry to the long term deal that costs around $20 million per year.

In the meantime we should also draft a WR early in this years draft and then another one later on in the draft to compete with the Sims brothers, AGG, Harmon and Wright who are developing/competing for the spots too.

I don’t know, to me it just doesn’t make sense to give a FA WR an Amari Cooper/Michael Thomas type deal because Terry is that level of WR for us & I’d hate to lose Terry in 2023 bc we paid for Gaolladay this off-season.

Edited by turtle28

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m totally getting ready for a similar off-season to last years. We won’t be big players in free agency and we’ll go in with what we have at receiver. Everyone else in the division will spend. 

Maybe that’s what will work. I know we all want to be big spenders but, we also know when big time FA signings don’t work out it’s the biggest detriment to building your team long term. So, we do have to be careful about signing too many FAs to big long term deals.

I mean last year we didn’t end up signing any FAs to huge deals and we had a better season than any of us expected. We signed Fuller to a mid level type FA deal & Darby to a one-year prove it deal and then cheap deals like we did with KPL, Lucas, McKissic and Logan Thomas who all played pivotal roles in our team winning 7 games last year.

Maybe it actually makes sense to do something similar to that again and re-sign/extend our own guys we’ve drafted.

We can sign Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis to a deal that was similar to Fuller’s last year or maybe it’s a little bit larger. We can sign Russell Okung, a FA like Jaylon Brown and a FS to a one year prove it deal like Malik Hooker (similar to Darby’s deal last year) while extending Jon Allen, Tim Settle and coming to a long term deal w/ Scherff and Darby. 

What we do at QB remains the question. We can sign a vet to compete w/ Henike & presumably Kyle Allen, we can trade for Darnold or we can draft a QB to compete w/ Heinicke & Kyle Allen.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, noptov52 said:

Not a free agent, but Trent Brown got traded for a fifth rounder.  Would've done that deal in a heartbeat.

He’s a right tackle, we have one in Morgan Moses. He costs $11 million it just doesn’t make sense for us to give up a pick & to pay him that salary.

If we are going to get an upgrade at LT, it’s better to sign an OT who’s more of a LT if we are going to sign an upgrade to Cornelius Lucas & Gerron Christian at LT. If we are going to do that, it makes more sense to sign Russell Okung or someone else but personally I’d just role with Lucan & Christian battling it out for the starting LT spot unless we draft someone in round 1 or 2 that can beat them out.

Edited by turtle28

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe that’s what will work. I know we all want to be big spenders but, we also know when big time FA signings don’t work out it’s the biggest detriment to building your team long term. So, we do have to be careful about signing too many FAs to big long term deals.

I mean last year we didn’t end up signing any FAs to huge deals and we had a better season than any of us expected. We signed Fuller to a mid level type FA deal & Darby to a one-year prove it deal and then cheap deals like we did with KPL, Lucas, McKissic and Logan Thomas who all played pivotal roles in our team winning 7 games last year.

Maybe it actually makes sense to do something similar to that again and re-sign/extend our own guys we’ve drafted.

We can sign Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis to a deal that was similar to Fuller’s last year or maybe it’s a little bit larger. We can sign Russell Okung, a FA like Jaylon Brown and a FS to a one year prove it deal like Malik Hooker (similar to Darby’s deal last year) while extending Jon Allen, Tim Settle and coming to a long term deal w/ Scherff and Darby. 

What we do at QB remains the question. We can sign a vet to compete w/ Henike & presumably Kyle Allen, we can trade for Darnold or we can draft a QB to compete w/ Heinicke & Kyle Allen.

I’m not saying they should go out and sign every big name but fans can’t be upset if they pay Scherff when they never had intentions of using the money to begin with. All that money does is sit there for Snyder to play with and fans go crazy over it when they spend it. I’d sign Henry, Samuel, Kirksey and trade for Darnold. Don’t just sit on your hands expecting the cheap approach to work every time. 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s a right tackle, we have one in Morgan Moses. He costs $11 million it just doesn’t make sense for us to give up a pick & to pay him that salary.

He has been mostly a right tackle, but he played left tackle well for the Patriots in 2018.

Here’s just another example of why it’s best to keep your own drafted and developed players on long term deals when they’re up for them instead of having a spending spree in free agency. 

None of these players are on the Raider anymore except for the draft picks meanwhile Khalil Mach remains one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m not saying they should go out and sign every big name but fans can’t be upset if they pay Scherff when they never had intentions of using the money to begin with. All that money does is sit there for Snyder to play with and fans go crazy over it when they spend it. I’d sign Henry, Samuel, Kirksey and trade for Darnold. Don’t just sit on your hands expecting the cheap approach to work every time. 

Yeah, we’re on the same page. I’m till hopefully they do sign some of the guys you mentioned but I do understand the pessimism you have bc they didn’t sign any big name FAs last year and the history of Rivera & Hurney is they don’t do that much big spending in FA but, Mayhew has in the past so I guess we’ll have to see what happens.

10 minutes ago, noptov52 said:

He has been mostly a right tackle, but he played left tackle well for the Patriots in 2018.

That’s true, I did figure you’d b up the one year that Trent Brown played LT. Still, I don’t know how well he actually played all things considered. Yes, he didn’t give up a lot of sacks or pressures statistically - neither did Lucas for us last year - and it’s hard to tell how well an OL played as a pass blocker when someone like Brady is the QB and he gets the ball out under 3 seconds.

I’m still of the opinion that Trent Brown is not a huge upgrade over Lucas at LT. Lucas is already here, he only costs $2 million this year as opposed to the $11 million that Trent Brown will cost the Pats and in order to get Brown we would’ve had to trade a 4th round pick to get a better trade offer in than the Pats did with their 5th.

So, all in all I think we made the right move in not trading a 4th for Trent Brown.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Kyle Long is unretiring...  we have a need at LG and he is available. Any takers?

That’s a tough one for me, he never could stay healthy and I don’t think he’ll be cheap. Also, Schweitzer was good last year, we have Charles developing/competing for that spot too and we can obviously draft a guard prospect to compete with Wes Martin to be our 4th guard or maybe that draft pick can even prove that he’s worthy of starting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

That’s a tough one for me, he never could stay healthy and I don’t think he’ll be cheap. Also, Schweitzer was good last year, we have Charles developing/competing for that spot too and we can obviously draft a guard prospect to compete with Wes Martin to be our 4th guard or maybe that draft pick can even prove that he’s worthy of starting.

Agreed. If we lost Scherff, then I'd be okay with going after Long, but I don't see a point to it now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, noptov52 said:

I think Brown has a lot more upside than Lucas, he's only 27, and we've got the cap room... but fair enough, lol.

I'd definitely like to see us add some competition at LT.

For me it’s either sign a true upgrade like Okung or draft another LT prospect in round 1 or 2 to compete w/ Lucas & Christian. I think that makes more sense.

Also, Trent Brown will be 28 on April 13th. It is true that Lucas is two years older, he’ll be 30 in July.

Edited by turtle28