2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

14 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I am so curious on who those 2 players are that Rivera mentioned. That would give us some sort of idea on who they’re targeting in the draft. 

I think it’s Curtis Samuel & Tre Boston. Could be Alejandro Villanueva or Jaylen Brown too. I think if we get those 4 guys with a few cheaper back up types signed like a back up TE on the cheap (Jacob Hollister... cough cough) and trade for Trai Turner to be our LG that would be a hell of an offseason and once again have us pointing in the right direction. Then, hopefully we’d take a QB in round 1 either by trading up or taking one at 19 if he’s one of the BPA.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

Teams aren’t messing around. I know E Fisher got hurt but both starting Tackles. 

Crazy . Eric Fisher would be interesting. Only 30 but coming off an achilles and late in the season . Probably won't be ready this year . 

13 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

After what he also said about linebacker and how he likes KPL and mentioned getting a KPL type guy a little younger I’m thinking Jayon Brown could potentially be one of those guys. And then I would go with either Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis being the other

I was thinking Matt Milano, but similar idea with the WLB. They’re clearly desperate to upgrade at the overall LB position. 

I could see it being Corey Davis, as well. Or even Golladay — they did try (halfheartedly) to play at the big kid’s table with the top WR last year, maybe they want to do it again. I would hope it isn’t Curtis Samuel, he really should not be a first wave priority, but then again I didn’t think that about Kendall Fuller either and they sure went right out and paid him. 

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m going to say Curtis Samuel and Alejandro Villanueva. Samuel due to familiarity and age. Villanueva because he’s former military and a leader in the locker room. Just strikes me as the kind of guy they’ll go after.

I’ve been thinking Villanueva as well. Now with Reiff and Fisher hitting the market in the last 24 hours, there are actually some legit starting LT options in FA for the first time I can remember in a long time. I thought Lucas played pretty well in his time, but I wonder if they would prefer him in a swing tackle role. 

6 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The thing about Samuel is if we are going for a mid level free agent WR, do we really want a slot guy when there are so many interesting slot WRs in the draft?  

Def. That late 2nd rounder, early 3rd rounder is the easiest spot to probably fill that void and fill it well. 

• Like 1

ESPN posted an article today where they “simulated” free agency by having their beat reporters submit “offers” for each of 19 prominent available players. The author then “chose” an offer based on all the circumstances and that’s where the player “signed.” 

Interestingly, Keim didn’t get involved (or at least didn’t crack the top 3 offers) for Golladay, Davis, JuJu, Fuller, or Henry. He did, however, submit a monstrous offer for Jonnu Smith (4/$45M), which I found very intriguing. Is that just his personal view, or does he have some inside insight that guided his decision to make a splash offer for Jonnu? 

Incidentally, Smith ended up choosing a lesser offer to play for the Patriots. So it was a pretty realistic simulation. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Market values from spotrac. JuJu/Golladay would be nice but at that price. 🙄
What’s your choice?

I’d take Corey Davis at well over $9.8M, so that’s a no-brainer for me. 

The guy put up 150 more yards than Juju in two fewer games and in an offense that threw the ball 220 fewer times. He’s also a high level run blocker on the outside, and everything you read about him suggests that he has the mindset to thrive alongside a great(er) WR. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Teams aren’t messing around. I know E Fisher got hurt but both starting Tackles. I guess 30/31 and injured gets you cut. 

They both make a lot, I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to bring one or both back on cheaper deals but at the same time they need to draft younger replacements as well.

It would probably be good for them to take Jalen Mayfield in round 1 & come back and take Jackson Carman in round 2 to be their RT, if us or someone else doesn’t take Carman which arguably we should in round 2.

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’d take Corey Davis at well over $9.8M, so that’s a no-brainer for me. 

The guy put up 150 more yards than Juju in two fewer games and in an offense that threw the ball 220 fewer times. He’s also a high level run blocker on the outside, and everything you read about him suggests that he has the mindset to thrive alongside a great(er) WR. 

‪Definitely Corey Davis. I’ve been saying it for 7 months, this team needs a #2 WR - not to pay for another #1 WR. Corey Davis fits that mold perfectly.

65 recs, 984 yds & 5 TDs.

Then, next March we should extend Terry w/ a $100 million contract. I want Terry to get that contract not another teams cast off FA.‬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

The thing about Samuel is if we are going for a mid level free agent WR, do we really want a slot guy when there are so many interesting slot WRs in the draft?  

It’s a valid point. I think the better move is to sign Corey Davis who plays more outside than Samuel - who can do both but is best in the slot - and then draft a slot WR in round 2, 3 or 4. Good point.