2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

I’m also curious as to what Ronald Darby and his agent are demanding in terms of pay? I thought we’d lock him up by now. If he’s asking for top market pay, I have no problem letting him go. We could easily draft his replacement or sign one of the other corners hitting the market that might be cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I’m also curious as to what Ronald Darby and his agent are demanding in terms of pay? I thought we’d lock him up by now. If he’s asking for top market pay, I have no problem letting him go. We could easily draft his replacement or sign one of the other corners hitting the market that might be cheaper.

I've seen $10 mill plus tossed around as the number.

18 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I've seen $10 mill plus tossed around as the number.

I don’t know if we should pay him or any other corner that much. Between Fuller and that corner, that would be a lot of cap tied up at corner. With how good our d line is supposed to be, we shouldn’t need all world corners on the outside. I think we could easily replace Darby with a cheaper FA signing or even Surtain or Farley could fall to us. I’m also high on Jaycee Horn. 

1 minute ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I don’t know if we should pay him or any other corner that much. Between Fuller and that corner, that would be a lot of cap tied up at corner. With how good our d line is supposed to be, we shouldn’t need all world corners on the outside. I think we could easily replace Darby with a cheaper FA signing or even Surtain or Farley could fall to us. I’m also high on Jaycee Horn. 

Agree, but ! If we have to draft a C B high to replace Darby- We don't gain anything- just back to where we were .

On 3/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, turtle28 said:

The problem becomes the cost & the cap. If we give Galloday a Amari Cooper type deal & we keep Scherff, Darby & Jon Allen then are we going to be able to keep Terry by extending him next year or re-signing him as a FA in 2023? 

Are you prepared to lose both Payne & Ioannidis possibly in 2023 also?

There is a domino effect to giving a WR such a huge deal which means we are sure to lose several of our best core players that we’ve drafted and developed or players that played well here last year.

If we sign Galloday to a deal that’s going to pay him $22 million in 2023 & we lose Terry & Payne as a result I’m going to be really mad and I’d hope that everyone else would be as well.

@turtle Okay I am back been really busy. Finally found the tweet I was referring to earlier.                                                          

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rumors-salary-cap-2022-250221/

NFL teams reportedly expect salary cap to soar in 2022

2022 NFL salary cap likely to rise after new TV deals

So  tv revenues will keep rolling in each and every year

The cap will go up every. Year . And contracts can be structured different ways. With more money to spend teams will pay more and wage scales will in fact change . We have 140 mil. So it seems like cap issues are not a problem. They will go up every annually. Also contracts can be structured different ways.

Edited by 4209

NFL franchise tag values for 2020

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/what-is-a-franchise-tag-in-the-nfl-meaning-deadline-values-andamp-rules-for-tags-in-2020/ar-BB10xtwn

Pos. Franchise tag Transition tag
QB $26,895,000 $24,373,000
DE $19,316,000 $16,338,000
WR $18,491,000 $15,926,000
CB $16,471,000 $14,570,000
LB $16,266,000 $14,080,000
OL $16,102,000 $14,666,000
DT $15,500,000 $12,321,000
S $12,735,000 $10,801,000
RB $12,474,000 $10,189,000
TE $11,076,000 $9,267,000
ST $5,297,000 $4,884,000

The franchise tag is the avg of the top 5 salaries

I think this is the annual value of a contract includes bonuses this is the market. Not the franchise tag.

Edited by 4209

Guys - when FA actually opens we'll probably open up a new thread for the actual Free Agency period and link this one to it in the first post with a second post that will be a list of the FA and their contracts. That way we can continue to post as we're doing here but anyone who comes can find the "Executive Summary" (*) in the front of the thread.

(*) Sorry. It's a work habit. I'm very much "give me the summation at the beginning and then let me dive into the details later if I want to"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Guys - when FA actually opens we'll probably open up a new thread for the actual Free Agency period and link this one to it in the first post with a second post that will be a list of the FA and their contracts. That way we can continue to post as we're doing here but anyone who comes can find the "Executive Summary" (*) in the front of the thread.

(*) Sorry. It's a work habit. I'm very much "give me the summation at the beginning and then let me dive into the details later if I want to"

Okay mod I will it right there my man.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Yeah, it depends on how it’s structured. If they don’t want to retain him they should re-sign Fabs Moreau IMO & sign a cheaper corner and draft a corner w/in the first 3 rounds.

Edited by turtle28

31 minutes ago, 4209 said:

@turtle ok I am the owner and you are the GM. With the aforementioned info explain to me why we don't have enough money left over to sign our own. 

Well, we’ve all questioned in this forum already if we could keep all our DL long term, let alone adding a $20 million WR to that slot. Right now we aren’t paying much for a QB but that could certainly change within the next 2 to 4 years where we’d be paying more than $20 million for a QB. Currently we aren’t paying a lot for a LT, which also could change if we sign a LT like Okung or Villanueva or if we draft a LT by 2024 or 25. Terry will cost $20 mil a year. Jon Allen or Payne are going to cost north of $10 mil a year. Sweat is going to cost $15 million plus a year to retain, Young will cost $20 Mil plus a year to retain.

So, if you add all that up plus those we’re approaching $300 million in salary.

I guess there’s a probability that the salary cap will be over near $300 million within a 5 years but to me I don’t think it’s a wise allocation of your salary cap to pay two WRs $20 mil a year and I’d choose keeping Terry over signing Galloday.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

@turtle Okay I am back been really busy. Finally found the tweet I was referring to earlier.                                                          

Oh Christ, come on already. Last season we didn’t spend because this year we’d have more money and could extend players and fill holes on the roster. Now this year we aren’t spending so we can do all of that next year? Lol. Just change this tweet to 2023 next year.

We aren’t spending and we’re going to go into the season with a roster full of holes, no QB and we’ll be facing a first place schedule. Also, the fans that want to keep saving money every year just blow me away. Like the dummies who thought letting Bryce Harper go was so we could pay Rendon and the Lerners just pocketed the money letting them both walk. We’re in the same situation only we won’t be bad enough to get our franchise QB because we’ll end up picking 5-10 next year. 

Maybe it’s just me, I also don’t think that Galloday & Juju are worth $100 million contracts.

Galloday had 1 good & 1 great season in 4 years. Juju had the same and that great year for Juju was when Antonio Brown was opposite him drawing double coverage.

I don’t think Corey Davis is far off from them. If we can get Davis for $5-8 million less a year, that’s a smarter move for us considering Corey Davis was only 16 yards from being a 1,000 yard receiver last year 

• Like 1