Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

On 1/17/2021 at 5:41 PM, ET80 said:

I'm all but positive that Easterby is playing up the likes of Kyle Trask and Mac Jones as some viable replacement...

I still can't believe any owner can be this dumb.  How do you get rid of a player like Watson when they are so hard to find in the first place?  In case McNair sees this (because ALL owners should read what we write on this site), here is a picture that pretty much sums up their quarterback situation would look like in the future without him.  As a new fan of a division rival team, I should be happy about this, but I still feel for you guys because you are a good group of fans and, other than ownership/management, there really isn't anything not to like about the Texans.

The%2520desolate%2520Mongolian%2520stepp

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I still can't believe any owner can be this dumb.  How do you get rid of a player like Watson when they are so hard to find in the first place?  In case McNair sees this (because ALL owners should read what we write on this site), here is a picture that pretty much sums up their quarterback situation would look like in the future without him.  As a new fan of a division rival team, I should be happy about this, but I still feel for you guys because you are a good group of fans and, other than ownership/management, there really isn't anything not to like about the Texans.

The%2520desolate%2520Mongolian%2520stepp

The ironic part is we saw what life looks like with a bad QB right before Watson. We found ways to barely squeak into the playoffs with the likes of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Savage, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum, and Brock Osweiler. You'd think he wouldn't forget those dark times, but here we are. 

• Like 2

Just now, LORK88 said:

The ironic part is we saw what life looks like with a bad QB right before Watson. We found ways to barely squeak into the playoffs with the likes of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Savage, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum, and Brock Osweiler. You'd think he wouldn't forget those dark times, but here we are. 

It's just craziness.  The reality is that half of the teams in the league are in that position.  There just aren't enough great QBs to go around, so if you have one, you have to do everything in your power to support him.

• Like 2

I believe he's waiting for the SB to be over to request his trade and list his teams he'd waive his no trade clause to.

Your guys reporter gave a hypothetical trade the other day. I believe it was 2 1sts 2 2nds and Q Williams.

Jets wont do that. Q would get probably 2 1st if we were to trade him now. And the 2nd pick alone is worth 2 future 1sts at minimum. So you guys aren't getting the value of 5 1st and 2 2nds for Watson.

At the end of the day I think he does get dealt to us. And I think the value will be our 1st the next 3 drafts and the SEA 3rd. Or Both our 1sts this year, next years 1st and a 3rd next year for Watson.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I believe he's waiting for the SB to be over to request his trade and list his teams he'd waive his no trade clause to.

Your guys reporter gave a hypothetical trade the other day. I believe it was 2 1sts 2 2nds and Q Williams.

Jets wont do that. Q would get probably 2 1st if we were to trade him now. And the 2nd pick alone is worth 2 future 1sts at minimum. So you guys aren't getting the value of 5 1st and 2 2nds for Watson.

At the end of the day I think he does get dealt to us. And I think the value will be our 1st the next 3 drafts and the SEA 3rd. Or Both our 1sts this year, next years 1st and a 3rd next year for Watson.

How are you going to build a winning roster without those early picks? Why would watson want to go to the Jets when he wants a winning culture in the org? No offense but I see him going to the Giants sooner than the Jets

1 hour ago, tab said:

How are you going to build a winning roster without those early picks? Why would watson want to go to the Jets when he wants a winning culture in the org? No offense but I see him going to the Giants sooner than the Jets

Well he loves our coach apparently. So he will trust him. Our GM is respected as well. Even with trading for him... we'd still have around 60-70mill in cap space to build to roster in FA. And for picks... We have 2 1st rounders these next 2 drafts. We hold ours and SEA 1st these next 2 drafts. So if we for example traded you a 1st the next 3 drafts... we'd still have a 1st these next 2 drafts and would only not have a 1st in 2023. We trade you both 1sts this year and a 1st next year... we still hold the 34th pick this year and would still have SEA 1st next year. Also keep in mind that if we trade for him... we trade Darnold. Most seem to think we can get a later 2nd for him. So we'd have that pick to build as well. We have plenty of draft assets to trade and still be able to draft.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well he loves our coach apparently.

This is possibly the only thing I can agree on.

Our GM is respected as well.

Is he? The only move I know him for is signing Lev Bell - and that really didn't work out well. 

Nothing else he did really stands out, if I'm being honest. The Jets roster - as is - isn't good. (Neither is the Texans, so it's not like I'm just trying to pile on). That's not strictly Adam Gase.

Again - not trying to pile on - but from Watson's perspective, of the teams most mentioned (Carolina, Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, New England, NYJ) the least desirable location of those spots is NYJ... by a SIGNIFICANT margin.

Even with trading for him... we'd still have around 60-70mill in cap space to build to roster in FA.

Building a team in FA is a disaster waiting to happen - I mean, name me the last team that successfully built a roster via FA. Only examples we have are all failures - Indy a few years back, the Philly "Dream Team", countless WFT years - having to fill big holes (which the Jets have) by FA signings is a sure fire way to crush that cap space.

We have 2 1st rounders these next 2 drafts. We hold ours and SEA 1st these next 2 drafts.

That Seattle pick is going to be pretty low, and that's going to be a point of negotiation with Nick Caserio (who isn't Bill O'Brien).

Ultimately, you're not bidding on your own. The Jets will have competetors for this trade, it's not just the Jets running to daylight. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is possibly the only thing I can agree on.

Is he? The only move I know him for is signing Lev Bell - and that really didn't work out well. 

Nothing else he did really stands out, if I'm being honest. The Jets roster - as is - isn't good. (Neither is the Texans, so it's not like I'm just trying to pile on). That's not strictly Adam Gase.

Building a team in FA is a disaster waiting to happen - I mean, name me the last team that successfully built a roster via FA. Only examples we have are all failures - Indy a few years back, the Philly "Dream Team", countless WFT years - having to fill big holes (which the Jets have) by FA signings is a sure fire way to crush that cap space.

That Seattle pick is going to be pretty low, and that's going to be a point of negotiation with Nick Caserio (who isn't Bill O'Brien).

Ultimately, you're not bidding on your own. The Jets will have competetors for this trade, it's not just the Jets running to daylight. 

JD is respected. He spent 14 years with Ozzie Newsome in BAL (which was regularly a competitor). Was key in building the PHI roster that won a SB. He was arguably the most desired GM when we got him.

He actually had nothing to do with Bell. That was the previous GM that got him. He has only 1 draft under his belt and did pretty well last year (with only 1 year to show for it). Becton looked great as a rookie, Mims looked good once he was healthy, Hall will be a starting CB for us and was a draft steal, Davis should be in our rotation at S and there's others that we have developing (Clarke, Zuniga). The only knock on him was opting to not pay Robby Anderson last offseason. And even he said he messed up with that. Which I respect him for realizing that and admitting that. He got an incredible return for Adams in a trade (2 1st rounders a 3rd rounder and McDougald). Picked up Elflein off waivers who was a good starter for us at G to finish the season. He made a great hire in Saleh. There's nothing but pretty much positives since he joined us as GM.

By no means do I think we should build our team in FA. JD has clearly shown he values picks. Like I said we have 2 1st rounders these next 2 drafts along with SEA 3rd round pick this year, the NYG 5th rounder on top of all of our picks. But we are a franchise starving for a QB. The Jets are in a good spot. They have several options. We can make a trade for Watson. Roll with Darnold and use all these picks to help him. Or draft Wilson or Fields at 2, trade Darnold and try a new guy at QB with a ton of potential and still have tons of picks to help that guy. But we've been smart with money and have money to spend. Not very many teams have money this offseason, so the teams competing for guys is cut in half pretty much. So you will see more guys go to poor teams and that in turn can turn things around quickly. For example... AR15 has been liking any rumor of Watson going to the Jets, he's a UFA. If we trade for Watson, he'd want to come here. Call me crazy... but getting AR15 in FA is hardly a bad move for any team. Grabbing a OG like Thuney or Scherff cant be bad for any team. These are moves that we will probably go hard after. And I don't see them as bad moves. We aren't a team that has to pay any of our own big money in the coming years... so it doesn't hurt us cap wise like it does lots of other teams.

That's what everyone thought and the pick is the 23rd pick this year. Not a bad deal for us. I thought it was going to be in the late 20s. So you never know.

Listen I get it. Every team that is trading a star thinks that they should get something crazy in return. Same as us as Jets fans think we shouldn't give up much more than a couple 1sts for him. Odds are if a deal gets done its something in the middle. Jets wont get him for 2 1st rounders. HOU isn't getting Q, 2 1sts and 2 2nds either. More than likely a deal gets done as I said with something in the middle like 3 1sts and a mid rounder.

Why are we favorite for him? For starters he controls where he goes. If he doesn't want to get traded somewhere, he doesn't have to. And its been reported we are on his shortlist. So there wont be 12 teams calling and you guys have options. The options might only be us or MIA, if that's all he would accept a trade to. Furthermore we give you the chance to grab who you guys like between Wilson or Fields. With the MIA pick you might get whoever is left there. On top of that we are more suited to give up picks bc of our draft capital. Doesn't hurt us as much since we have 2 1st the next 2 drafts. Add the "embarrassment" of a franchise having to trade for a pick that was theirs to begin with. Might just be too much to swallow for a franchise (even though it was a different regime).

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And its been reported we are on his shortlist.

I'm going to respond to this specifically - I'll address the rest later, but I wanted to present a thought experiment, if you will:

Don't you think it's a coincidence that the two teams listed as "primary destinations" from "sources close to Watson" happen to be the owners of the #2 and #3 picks in the draft, and two teams that own multiple 1st round picks in the draft? That almost seems too good to be true for the Texans... and really generous that Watson would prefer teams with these sort of assets. Would you agree?

TL;DR - The Texans are driving this narrative, because they know the situation is so deteriorated that Watson will say "yes" to any team that makes an offer.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jets wont get him for 2 1st rounders. HOU isn't getting Q, 2 1sts and 2 2nds either. More than likely a deal gets done as I said with something in the middle like 3 1sts and a mid rounder.

I'm actually in agreement here - this is probably what gets the job done. John McClain is basically a team shill, so him floating that Q + several picks offer was probably a team directive, to gauge the temperature on whether or not anyone would bite. Middle ground has always been the expectation here.

(Well, the expectation is to keep Watson, but I doubt that a card left in the deck - unless the Texans went "all in" and made Watson honor all five years left on his contract).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm going to respond to this specifically - I'll address the rest later, but I wanted to present a thought experiment, if you will:

Don't you think it's a coincidence that the two teams listed as "primary destinations" from "sources close to Watson" happen to be the owners of the #2 and #3 picks in the draft, and two teams that own multiple 1st round picks in the draft? That almost seems too good to be true for the Texans... and really generous that Watson would prefer teams with these sort of assets. Would you agree?

TL;DR - The Texans are driving this narrative, because they know the situation is so deteriorated that Watson will say "yes" to any team that makes an offer.

I see that point. But I think he knows the list of teams that could afford him, that he'd even want to go to, that need a QB, that make a trade even realistic pick wise and other odd factors. He's not out there requesting a trade and saying the only team he wants to go to is NO when they're like 60mill over the cap and own a late 1st rounder. He clearly wants out. And he has to be realistic in where he can go.