Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I do think that would be hilarious. If all the Mac talk was just smoke. Super funny. 

If we can get Fields in the teens that would be awesome. We're most likely to have a lot of picks next year, so even if we give up next years first we'll still have the ability to get a good haul. 

Trust me I would LOVE to somehow land Fields and I do not doubt Tomlin/Colbert are currently scheming ways to move up if he falls. But even if I am wrong about him going #3, and he somehow falls to 7-9 range, I doubt we will be able to compete with the other teams that would be looking to move up for him.

Any talks of him falling to the teens are just silly. He should and will be the 3rd QB drafted and Id personally take him over Wilson if I was the Jets. 

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I would love to bring in Fields. Especially if we could get it done with only giving away 2 firsts. 

That's why I would start inquiring if he made it past Denver. Getting inside the top 10 is going to be costly. Yes, the Panthers have a connection with us....but what is their incentive? They need offensive players in an offensive draft, so are they willing to to drop 16 spots, miss all the top offensive guys for a an additional first and change? Probably not. 

The Cowboys, though, have a ton of offensive talent and while they might want to take a tackle, a top defender that could help their unit would surely be around at 24. You still have to deal with the cost of competition, but at least they are unlikely to deal with the WFT. 

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Any talks of him falling to the teens are just silly

I don't know that I would call it silly. I tend to agree with you that the 49ers should, and maybe will, take him, but it's not unrealistic that he falls either. 

The more draft talk I listen to there does seem to be some genuine concern with Fields. I am not sure I get it, but oh well. After the top 3 picks, you can make pretty good case that 2 QB's are not taken by teams currently at picks 4-13.  Trades are unpredictable and you have to really like someone to give up 2 additional firsts for him, which is what I think it would cost to get inside the top 10 in the QB market the way it is. If there really are some concerns, teams may not be willing to give up that much. 

30 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't know that I would call it silly. I tend to agree with you that the 49ers should, and maybe will, take him, but it's not unrealistic that he falls either. 

The more draft talk I listen to there does seem to be some genuine concern with Fields. I am not sure I get it, but oh well. After the top 3 picks, you can make pretty good case that 2 QB's are not taken by teams currently at picks 4-13.  Trades are unpredictable and you have to really like someone to give up 2 additional firsts for him, which is what I think it would cost to get inside the top 10 in the QB market the way it is. If there really are some concerns, teams may not be willing to give up that much. 

I just think there’s too many teams “desperate” for a QB. If he doesn’t go to San Fran and Atlanta stays put and takes Pitts, you still have Detroit, Carolina, and Denver as potential landing spots. Then you have New England, WFT (who is rumored to be in love with Lance), and Chicago who all pick higher than us who I’m sure would be quick to give up the farm to move up for him. We’ll see, it’s a lot of IFs. Like I said, I would be thrilled but I’m not getting my hopes up.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I just think there’s too many teams “desperate” for a QB. If he doesn’t go to San Fran and Atlanta stays put and takes Pitts, you still have Detroit, Carolina, and Denver as potential landing spots. Then you have New England, WFT (who is rumored to be in love with Lance), and Chicago who all pick higher than us who I’m sure would be quick to give up the farm to move up for him. We’ll see, it’s a lot of IFs. Like I said, I would be thrilled but I’m not getting my hopes up.

No real arguments from me, just saying I think it's more of a possibility that it could actually happen rather than being merely dream scenario. Probably not the most likely scenario, but it can happen. Just for fun:

- Atlanta's restructuring of Matt Ryan seems like the giveaway they are not taking QB, this is tradable but super expensive. After seeing the 9 spot cost, I cant imagine theres a discount on an 11+. 
- Bengals, no, they also need one of the top T so this isn't tradable to me
- Dolphins, no, need talent and I think they traded to a spot they know they can get someone specific
- Lions, Paying a lot to Goff (only 26) and have more then enough resources in the future if they need to change course. Maybe tradable? But probably not to the 20's. Maybe the Pats, but it's still a drop on a team that needs a receiver. 
- Panthers,  Drafting a QB would immediately make trading a future 2 for Darnold and paying him any money the biggest waste ever. I don't think they should take QB off the list, but it's also a little stupid if they do. Same tradability as the Lions. They need offensive players and every spot down they go probably takes an offensive player with it. 
- Broncos, I think this is the Bridgewater landing spot. Has a 63 year old HC on year 3 who waited like 20 some years to be a HC and is on a team who has won 32 games in the last 5 years. I think winning now is going to be more important to a lot of people in the room, right or wrong. 
- Cowboys, no 
- Giants, most likely not this year
- Eagles, No....or else their trade down is the dumbest thing ever (or luckiest I guess...)
- Chargers, no
- Vikings, possible, but I think no
- Patriots, probably but who the hell knows with Bill
- Cardinals, No
- Raiders, total wild card
- Dolphins, no x2
- WFT, probably? But I have also heard reports that they like Heinecke as a 1a/1b with Fitz. So they might not be willing to sell the farm to move up on a team that feels close. 
- Bears, yes, but they also have GM that completely blew the last time they moved up for QB and is paired with a HC who is also on the hot seat. They both are probably out of jobs if this season isn't playoff bound, so they could rather add a true talent, not sell the farm for the best future. 
- Colts, probably not
- Titans, Eh.....I don't think so. Tannahill with 3 more years and is going to only be 32
- Jets, no

So, while I agree it would probably just take everything in the world to go right...if the draft falls Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, there are more then enough "no's and maybes" on that list to make me feel pretty good about 1 of the 2 other guys falling outside of the top 10 -- which to me is where we make a move. 

If Fields made it to 10, I would be hammering the Cowboys who could easily move back and get a top defender this year. One thing we also have working for us is the perception that Ben is dead and we have more holes than Swiss cheese. Teams could think we are trading them a top 10 next year, just to get fooled like with Minkah (or, ya know...be totally right). 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 2

You’re last point is something I haven’t thought of. Our main competition in a trade up to 10 would be New England and Chicago in my opinion. Teams may perceive our 2022 first rounder as at least the 2nd most valuable out of the 3. 

And I agree, it would almost certainly take Jones going #3 for any of this to be possible. I think Lance ends up in Denver one way or the other. Agreed 10 is probably the sweet spot and the most likely trade down partners are DAL and NYG as they are both targeting O-Line/defense. That would leap us ahead of Philly and NE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Teams may perceive our 2022 first rounder as at least the 2nd most valuable out of the 3. 

It could for sure be a selling point. Finding that trade partner is going to be hard, but that's why I find the Cowboys so intriguing. It comes down to 1) Can I still get someone I want trading down and 2) what's the best package I can get?

I think a trade with us answers yes to both of those for the Cowboys. Most mocks have the first defender in the draft going to them at 10 and between 10 and 24 there are not many others. The Lions need a receiver and if they trade back to even 20 with Washington they are going to miss some of the better ones. So if the Cowboys still get a top defender and a potential top 10 pick and more...why not?

I also don't think there is anyway they trade with Washington. So it makes it a prime spot. 

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

if I can get Fields for this years 1st and 2nd and a 2022 1st...I’d probably do it.

Personally, I would do all I could to hang onto that 2 because I think that's our Center...but absolutely agree. Anything that doesn't see 3 first round picks go out the door for your franchise QB is a price well paid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I would expect that to cost us two firsts and a second.  Agree?

If he falls to 10 I think we can trade 24, 87, 2022 1st plus an additional 2022 pick (thinking 3rd-6th) to sweeten the deal/outbid a Chicago or New England. I think we try to hold on to this years 2nd to draft our center....or Friermuth (one can dream). 

29 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If he falls to 10 I think we can trade 24, 87, 2022 1st plus an additional 2022 pick (thinking 3rd-6th) to sweeten the deal/outbid a Chicago or New England. I think we try to hold on to this years 2nd to draft our center....or Friermuth (one can dream). 

Would that be worth it?  Who knows we might have a QB fall to us in next years draft.