Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

33 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Maybe...but the Steelers signing NFL competent players to fill gaps in the roster is literally the way they operate. So saying that it’s the way they operate to ignore a position so they don’t take it off their draft board is the opposite of how they actual operate, so it hard to understand the comment.

You are assuming what my statement meant. More it’s once they are in draft mode they typically do not sign FAs. 

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You are assuming what my statement meant. More it’s once they are in draft mode they typically do not sign FAs. 

I did assume...seeing as the two questions in my post you commented “yes” to were “does Jesse James really take TE off the table (in the draft)” and “does this roster really not have any vacancy at TE”. 

So, saying “yes it’s how the operate” doesn’t really allude to you talking about being in draft mode based on the context.

Because I would agree about the draft mode, but seeing as Jesse James has been a free agent for 30 days and the Steelers have inked contracts with numerous players since his release (two of which happened this week)...makes me continue to believe this is lack of interest.  

Here is my newest mock draft

1. Najee Harris Alabama RB 
2. Creed Humphrey Oklahoma Center
3. Levi Onwuzurike Washington NT
4a. Trill Williams Syracuse CB
4b. Hamilcar Rashed Oregon State EDGE
6. Kary Vincent Jr.LSU CB
7a. Cary Angeline North Carolina State TE
7b. Tyler Coyle Purdue S

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Additionally the holes they try to plug (Sign Barron, draft Bush example) tend to be at starter roles, not backup roles.

Eric Ebron is your starting tight end. 

Tight end. Eric Ebron. 

Eric Ebron is not a tight end.

McDonald played 44% of the snaps while missing two games. Ebrons shown in his career his best comes in as a 50%er. This isn’t simply a back up role. Your gonna play a lot closing games, in two tight sets, and in run situations. 

And if their decision is just to have Ebron actually be a tight end.... god bless. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Eric Ebron is your starting tight end. 

Tight end. Eric Ebron. 

Eric Ebron is not a tight end.

McDonald played 44% of the snaps while missing two games. Ebrons shown in his career his best comes in as a 50%er. This isn’t simply a back up role. Your gonna play a lot closing games, in two tight sets, and in run situations. 

And if their decision is just to have Ebron actually be a tight end.... god bless. 

They showed they are comfortable with it last year.

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They showed they are comfortable with it last year.

In our 9 best rushing games 7 of them Vance played in over 50% of the snaps. The other two, he played majority of the snaps against Tennessee in the first half when we ran for 68 of our 94 yards and the Jaguars game when he missed for covid. Ben lead the league in passing attempts per game.

I don’t know if I would say they were comfortable with him as their tight end last year. As a receiving weapon in a passing attack? Sure  

But as a team talking about being better and focusing more on the run....we are talking about being fine with Ebron and Gentry....yikes  

54 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

In our 9 best rushing games 7 of them Vance played in over 50% of the snaps. The other two, he played majority of the snaps against Tennessee in the first half when we ran for 68 of our 94 yards and the Jaguars game when he missed for covid. Ben lead the league in passing attempts per game.

I don’t know if I would say they were comfortable with him as their tight end last year. As a receiving weapon in a passing attack? Sure  

But as a team talking about being better and focusing more on the run....we are talking about being fine with Ebron and Gentry....yikes  

I mean....I don’t disagree with your points. Just saying their actions show they are comfortable. 

I think the signing of Haeg was to be the eligible reporting guy and that will help for the lack of a blocker along with maybe massive misdirection plays from Canada. 

Edited by warfelg

22 hours ago, DR43 said:

Here is my newest mock draft

1. Najee Harris Alabama RB 
2. Creed Humphrey Oklahoma Center
3. Levi Onwuzurike Washington NT
4a. Trill Williams Syracuse CB
4b. Hamilcar Rashed Oregon State EDGE
6. Kary Vincent Jr.LSU CB
7a. Cary Angeline North Carolina State TE
7b. Tyler Coyle Purdue S

Why draft a NT at all?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Why draft a NT at all?

Yea they have a project NT in Davis already.

The DL will need strengthening next year when Tuitt is in last year of deal, and both Heyward and Alualu on wrong side of 30.

A TE or ILB woulda made more sense there....maybe even a S.

9 hours ago, AFF said:

Yea they have a project NT in Davis already.

The DL will need strengthening next year when Tuitt is in last year of deal, and both Heyward and Alualu on wrong side of 30.

A TE or ILB woulda made more sense there....maybe even a S.

Do you see Davis as the starter for the future?

58 minutes ago, DR43 said:

An instant starter. I personally am not content with the guys we got there.  Am I wrong?

Alualu was ranked top 5 D Lineman by PFF before his knee injury last year and just re-signed him for two more years. I will be surprised if we take a NT, especially in the 3rd. Way too many holes other places.

• Like 2