2020 Divisional Round: (5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers at (2) New Orleans Saints

BayRaider

Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs New Orleans Saints  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • New Orleans Saints

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/17/2021 at 08:05 PM

23 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

From everything Im hearing Thomas isnt happy. The Saints did right by not trading him at the deadline. 

FTR, the Saints literally had no choice but to hang on to him.   They couldn't trade him - they would have absorbed a cap hit that they had no room to handle.  

Honestly, trading Thomas might be one of the key moves to get out of cap hell.  70M is a huge hole to get out, and they can only restructure/extend rookie deals so much.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FTR, the Saints literally had no choice but to hang on to him.   They couldn't trade him - they would have absorbed a cap hit that they had no room to handle.  

Honestly, trading Thomas might be one of the key moves to get out of cap hell.  70M is a huge hole to get out, and they can only restructure/extend rookie deals so much.

I can see him being dealt to Jax. We have the resources to make a deal happen. Obviously Urban coached MT at Ohio State. Would give Lawrence another weapon to go with Chark and Shenault.

Just not sure the type of compensation we would have to give up to acquire him and that contract.

These games... the more I watch them the more I realise they really just do come down to the odd play here or there. One player stepping up, a bounce of the ball, a great catch, a bad holding call, one poor throw. Three small errors can give a 21 point swing. At the end of the game we can analyse it all till the cows come home but I'm more and more convinced that most of it is just circumstance.

38 minutes ago, JonMcC2018 said:

These games... the more I watch them the more I realise they really just do come down to the odd play here or there. One player stepping up, a bounce of the ball, a great catch, a bad holding call, one poor throw. Three small errors can give a 21 point swing. At the end of the game we can analyse it all till the cows come home but I'm more and more convinced that most of it is just circumstance.

Preparation meets opportunity ... I don’t think you can win a super bowl without getting some lucky “bounces” from time to time. 

I think it was Richard Sherman (maybe?) that talked about how lucky the Seahawks got consistently throughout their SB winning season. 

1 hour ago, JonMcC2018 said:

Yup. And furthermore, sometimes a stray bounce or odd play early on and just shift momentum or the mental state of each team in such a way where the snowball becomes an avalanche. Once a game is underway it's really hard to completely reset your team and get things under control.

21 minutes ago, Dome said:

Preparation meets opportunity ... I don’t think you can win a super bowl without getting some lucky “bounces” from time to time. 

I think it was Richard Sherman (maybe?) that talked about how lucky the Seahawks got consistently throughout their SB winning season. 

Gotta be good, gotta be lucky, gotta be healthy. Take one of those away and that might be the difference between a wild card thumping and a SB victory.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Magnifico said:

I think they'll have a down year or two, but if they can get a QB, they have a lot of talent and barring a few **** up (Two 1sts for Marcus Davenport, like wtf?) they have drafted really well over the last 5-6 years. Particularly in the Trenches.

Said this a few times. Even in the now locked Lamar thread. Tom Brady and the Patriots success have warped a lot of peoples minds about how easy it is to win the whole damn thing, or even just get there.

Tom Brady has as many Superbowl Victories as Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and Big Ben combined. He's essentially had a HOF career from 2001 - 2011 and another from 2012 - 2021.

As amazing as Mahomes is, he could end up like Rodgers in 10 years time with only one SuperBowl to his name, particularly given the influx of QB talent in the AFC. As @lancerman said. Brady has double the playoff wins the 2nd most person has. It's nuts.

I mean with this roster and a good Brees they've choked in the playoffs four straight years. Brees wasn't great this year but he was the previous 2/3 years.

So they need a better QB than Brees or a better team - neither of which is feasible with their cap situation. They're done for several years IMO.