2019 Chiefs Ranking vs. 5 Best Offenses of All Time

Uncle Buck

Where do the 2019-20 Chiefs Rank Among the Best Offenses Ever?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the 2019-20 Chiefs Rank Among the Best Offenses Ever?

The current Super Bowl Champions have some deadly wepaons on their offense, and a great coaching staff leading them.  Where would you rank them among the greatest offenses of all time?  I would consider the best offenses of all time to be the following:

2013 Broncos

2011 Packers

2007 Patriots

GSOT Rams

1998 Vikings

Note: I don't really care about who scored the most points among this group.  Scheduling could affect that by a touchdown or two over a season.  I just think these are the most prolific offenses I've ever witnessed.  Base your answer off of which team's offense you would rather have if you were a team owner.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 1/14/2021 at 2:55 AM, BigTrav said:

07 Pats laid an egg when it mattered. As did the 13 Broncos. Both of those may have the stats, but not the silverware. 

Chiefs scored very quickly, when they needed to, then they won the Superbowl.

Number 1.

GSOT > KC. This offense was good, they turned a UDFA QB a league MVP and HoF QB.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:55 AM, BigTrav said:

07 Pats laid an egg when it mattered. As did the 13 Broncos. Both of those may have the stats, but not the silverware. 

Chiefs scored very quickly, when they needed to, then they won the Superbowl.

Number 1.

I'm always surprised when I remember that the GSOT Rams (and now the Chiefs) were the only ones who won it all. It was really impressive how Mahomes seemed to just be able to flip the switch late in the game and turn it on to start scoring the points they needed to go ahead and win the game.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 1/13/2021 at 1:35 AM, Nightime said:

Technically the 2018 offense was better as they averaged 35ppg, which is the 3rd best of all time behind only the 2007 Pats and 2013 Broncos

The 2019 offense was better in the playoffs though

They scored more points in 2018, but were they actually better or did they just have an easier schedule?

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

They scored more points in 2018, but were they actually better or did they just have an easier schedule?

The 2018 team averaged a full touchdown per game more than the 2019 squad. Obviously it helped to have a healthy Mahomes for 16 games, and to have Kareem Hunt for 11, but they were a better and more efficient offense than the 2019 one

I’d still take the 2019 version in the playoffs though. Mahomes was better and more mobile

2019 was really explosive and efficient, but that 2018 unit was simply destructive while still being extremely efficient 

• Like 2

If we go beyond just looking at stats and numbers, I’d say it’s quite hard to beat the below team in terms of quality on offense; the 1989 San Francisco 49ers

QB1: Joe Montana
QB2: Steve Young (started 3 games)
RB: Roger Craig 
FB: Tom Rathman
WR: Jerry Rice
WR: John Taylor
TE: Brent Jones

They also had a quality OL with guys like Jesse Sapolu, Guy McIntyre and Harris Barton. 

#1 in yards and scoring offense en route to a 15-1 regular season record. Improved even further in the playoffs where they outscored their opponents 126-26, including a 55-10 beat down of Denver and it’s #1 scoring defense in the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, evilflamingo said:

If we go beyond just looking at stats and numbers, I’d say it’s quite hard to beat the below team in terms of quality on offense; the 1989 San Francisco 49ers

QB1: Joe Montana
QB2: Steve Young (started 3 games)
RB: Roger Craig 
FB: Tom Rathman
WR: Jerry Rice
WR: John Taylor
TE: Brent Jones

They also had a quality OL with guys like Jesse Sapolu, Guy McIntyre and Harris Barton. 

#1 in yards and scoring offense en route to a 15-1 regular season record. Improved even further in the playoffs where they outscored their opponents 126-26, including a 55-10 beat down of Denver and it’s #1 scoring defense in the Super Bowl.

Interesting enough, the 49ers best offensive DVOA output according to Pro Football Outsiders was the 1992 team. If we're just talking offense. Too bad that squad didn't have the 1989 defense. 

• Like 1