I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

2 minutes ago, HolmesPriest said:

You can do whatever you want and root for whoever you want. If others dont like it, that is their problem, not yours 😁

Thanks HolmesPriest.  I'm actually not all that worried about what other people think, but I mainly wanted to start the thread to let people know that I have switched teams, and why I did.  I also thought it might be a good place to discuss whether it should be something for current fans of perennially lousy teams to do.  As I stated earlier, the Vikings aren't a bad team, but for a variety of reasons I just wasn't having as much fun being a football fan in general as I used to, so I made the change to the Jags.  They haven't been near as good of a team, but the jump has really made the NFL more fun for me.  It has been nice to get a change of scenery.

By the way, good luck the rest of the way in the playoffs.  I hope Patrick Mahomes didn't get hurt too badly last week.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, RJ_11 said:

Just my opinion obviously, but I find it super strange when people do this. I adore the Bears, they're part of my identity, if they went 0-16 each year for the remainder of their history I'd never give up on them. If they don't win a Superbowl in my lifetime then so be it, that's just luck of the draw (and bad decisions by ownership at the minute) , not ever gonna jump ship for the chance of piggy backing on another team's Superbowl. Even thinking about supporting a different team is something that just feels dirty and alien. 

I don't think any less of a person who chooses to do it. But I think it's seriously weird. 

I used to think the same way.  Maybe just revisit this post after you've gone 50 years without a Super Bowl win.  It might be different, though, because if I were a fan of the Bears back in 1985 when they won that one, I wouldn't really care what they did after that.  They were "in the club" after that and from then on, it's just a reason to get together with family and friends and watch some football.  It's hard to explain.  I really do think there is something different with the psyche of Vikings fans after all these years.  They want their team to win a Super Bowl, but they have been disappointed so many times, many of them have become kind of negative and expect their team to lose.  That will probably all change once they finally win one.  I'm like that with the Minnesota Twins.  Once they won their first World Series, being a fan of theirs, and being a baseball fan in general was just a different experience.  I hope every fan base gets to see their team win one at least once in their lifetime.  I'm really pulling for the Bills fans this time around.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:56 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

To this day I think the reason I dislike the Ravens so, is because of what Art Modell did....Quietly whisking the team out of town in the middle of the night....

As for expansion teams, I didn't particularly care for Tampa Bay and Seattle when they came into the league....And today, it's still strange to think of the Cardinals as being from Arizona and the Colts from Indianapolis...And still not sure sure why the Oilers mascot didn't go along to Tennessee....

And here I thought you just had an aversion to purple jerseys.  :D

When it comes to the mascots, I've always been of the opinion that if a team leaves a market, they should be required to change the team name and colors.  I used to be a big hockey fan when I was growing up and it hurt a lot when the North Stars moved down to Dallas.  The name "North Stars" didn't really fit down in Dallas, so they just kept the "Stars" part of the name.  The problem with that was when Minnesota (a state that should NEVER be without an NHL franchise) got another expansion team, they didn't get to bring back "our team".  They called the new one the Minnesota Wild, and they have some logo that really isn't anything.  I never got back into hockey because they just didn't feel like my team.

I was happy for Browns fans when they were able to bring out their hallowed colors once again when their city got another NFL franchise. 

Finally, I still can't get used to an NFL team being called the Houston "Texans."  They will always be the Oilers to me.  Another problem that comes up with moving and taking the name with the team is that when a new team goes back into the old market, there are questions about whose history belongs to who?  I've seen both sides claiming that Earl Campbell was "theirs."  If Houston had been able to keep their Oilers name and colors, this would never be an issue.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 1/18/2021 at 2:12 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It's certainly odd, and quite frankly I'm not convinced it's really possible to SWITCH teams as much as it is to simply stop getting so emotionally invested in that league... like I'd be surprised if you ever reach the emotional highs or lows you did rooting for the Vikes with the Jags, and perhaps that is the goal. With that being said, you don't owe anyone anything and can do whatever you want. Switching to the Jaguars, one of the sorriest franchises in NFL history, will certainly never really have anyone calling into question your character. 

I have never considered switching teams, but I've certainly battled with toning down my fandom as the stress that being an Eagles fan causes me far outweighs the joy these days, and this has developed pretty independent of the Eagles results on the field. This started before the SB, around 2014, and I will say, the pure ecstasy I experienced after finally seeing the Eagles hoist the Lombardi will be with me forever, and the motivation for staying so invested is to chase that feeling again. 

I'm glad you were able to experience that - even though it was in our house and you beat us on the journey getting there! 

On 1/18/2021 at 6:01 AM, BillSabre said:

Buck, this is pretty simple. It’s cool to do whatever you want. It’s all a farce though. If you “switch teams” and the Vikings win it all next year......... how will you feel? Mad that your “old team” won it all right after you left???? NOPE. You’ll be ecstatic and probably cry that the day finally came, just like any other grown man does!!!! This was a fun, entertaining experience but there is no switching fandom. The heart wants what the heart wants.   GO BILLS 

I'm really hoping you guys get it this year.  Best of luck!

On 1/18/2021 at 3:45 AM, Billy86 said:

I'd usually say it's acceptable until about a fortnight after your voice breaks, but MIN-->JAC is such a remarkable trade down that I'm more than willing to make an exception!

Hopefully it won't be for long.  They have a long way to go, but they do have some potential.  We'll just have to see, I guess.  Either way, they are kind of a lovable bunch to cheer for as underdogs.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:30 PM, Mastercheddaar said:

HA! Good one! Who's your favorite team again? Oh yeah The Dallas "we were good in the 90's" Cowboys. BTW no one from the NFC East has any bragging rights after the 2020 season. 

Go Birds

MC

They were pretty good in the 70's too...and in the 60's.  They have been going through a drought, but they are one of the jewels in the crown of the league, IMO, and they will be back up on top eventually. 

When I switched teams, I almost picked the Cowboys.  I decided against it because I felt like going from Cousins to Dak is kind of a lateral move and I don't really like Ezekiel Elliot.  All the hair and the big beard and the nose ring are annoying.  One compensating factor would have been that their cheerleaders are second to none, but that wasn't quite enough to push me over the edge at my old age, so the Jags won out.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

And here I thought you just had an aversion to purple jerseys.  :D

When it comes to the mascots, I've always been of the opinion that if a team leaves a market, they should be required to change the team name and colors.  I used to be a big hockey fan when I was growing up and it hurt a lot when the North Stars moved down to Dallas.  The name "North Stars" didn't really fit down in Dallas, so they just kept the "Stars" part of the name.  The problem with that was when Minnesota (a state that should NEVER be without an NHL franchise) got another expansion team, they didn't get to bring back "our team".  They called the new one the Minnesota Wild, and they have some logo that really isn't anything.  I never got back into hockey because they just didn't feel like my team.

I was happy for Browns fans when they were able to bring out their hallowed colors once again when their city got another NFL franchise. 

Finally, I still can't get used to an NFL team being called the Houston "Texans."  They will always be the Oilers to me.  Another problem that comes up with moving and taking the name with the team is that when a new team goes back into the old market, there are questions about whose history belongs to who?  I've seen both sides claiming that Earl Campbell was "theirs."  If Houston had been able to keep their Oilers name and colors, this would never be an issue.

Not really an aversion to purple, as I remember the term "Purple people eaters" in reference to the Viking's defensive line....Guess I thought that was way cooler than "Gang Green"....

As for the Browns, it seems to me the city or state petitioned for the mascot name to stay in Cleveland, since it had come from the founder's name....Not that Baltimore Browns sounds bad, but of course it doesn't make sense either...I've thought it would have been a good idea to let the Colts and Cardinal mascots go back to their respected cities and than let Indianapolis and Arizona choose newer, more appropriate names...But I'm sure that would have involved a great deal of financial expense, and what would they have done with the Ram's mascot?.....Other than maybe using it in Arizona?....Good thing I'm not commissioner, but the $40 million/yr. salary would be nice...

When the Oilers franchise moved to Tennessee, they did use the Oilers mascot from 1997-98 and than later changed it to the Titans...Than Houston received a whole new franchise....Funny, I did not know there were two franchises vying for the bragging rights to Earl Campbell...

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Man I LOVE sports in general, I love football with a passion, it's my favorite team sport to watch (combat sports is what I was raised on playing/doing from the youngest age). I played baseball through college. I only played football through high-school but I've always far preferred to watch a football game to a baseball or basketball game. And above all of that I love the Raiders. Some of my fondest memories as a child is watching Raider games with my grandpa both in person and on television. I love the Raiders so much I named my middle child and youngest son Gannon (tried with my oldest son but was over ruled lol). I haven't missed a Raider game in as long as I can remember. People on the Raider forum will tell you I've been on this website (former username on the old site LivingLegendWFC) for a decade plus now... 

And with ALL of that said, there has been countless Sundays after yet another embarrassing play/decision, an embarrassing loss where we got beat down from start to finish, or a total collapse in game we should have won. Season after season of being perhaps the worst team in all of football. Being the butt of jokes about the draft year after year. To finally being decent in 2016 only for that to be fools gold. I try my best to be an optimistic person because by nature I'm usually more pessimistic. And the one area I always seem to be a glass half full kind of guy is in sports. I have defended Gruden and Mayock mainly on the one basis of for the first time in 20+ years I feel like our GM and coach have a vision, a plan they are following, and since 2002 I have seen rebuild after rebuild, and I use that term loosely, fail IMO in large part because there has been no plan or vision so every move was just a grab bag of raw athletically gifted players we reached on, aging vets who's best days were clearly behind them, overpaying guys that made a big impact but weren't that guy anymore, or just moves that were a joke from the start (Javon Walker contract). So while I can be critical of our staff now I have defended them because I do see a plan, a plan that offensively has been pretty dang successful, the defensive plan is far more murky. 

I say all that to say, I get it man. I myself have started trying to care a little less, I don't love the Raiders any less, but me and my girlfriend have worked on not letting it take so much from me. I can't tell you how many Sundays were essentially ruined for me because we got blown out, or we had a game in our hands and choked it away, or like the past 2 years started very strong over the first 9-10 games and peed the bed down the stretch to miss the playoffs. I would be legitimately sad, or angry at the team, and then the rest of the night I'm in that funk. I know it's because I am such a competitive person by nature, I hate to lose more than I love to win. But my girl has tried to get me to understand I can care as much as I want, I can love the Raiders with all my heart, I can be as competitive as possible, but I have ZERO control over anything happening. I don't get to help build the roster with the moves I post on here about, I'm not out there on the field making plays, she's always said, it's a zero sum game... If they win, I'm not getting the credit. The most I get is what? Bragging rights and a sense of self satisfaction. If they lose I don't get any of the blame either, but yet I would let it bother me so much because I was so invested. 

So to conclude my long reply to the long initial OP, I can't personally become a fan of another team, I've never actually tried, but I just know I couldn't be the same type of fan I am of the Raiders, but I do totally get where you're coming from. Caring a lot only to always be let down sucks. It can be exhausting. So where you have decided to root for a different team, I now just don't care quite as much. Instead of suffering through every play of a blowout loss, I'll turn the game off and go do something with my woman or the kids. Instead of forcing myself to convince myself this year is the year or this move was the right decision, I just say it is what it is. Recent history says it probably won't pay off, but either way, in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter as much as I have let it. So part of me hates it that I feel like a less passionate fan for the Raiders, but I can't say my overall quality of life hasn't improved. Sometimes for yourself you have to walk away, or in my case just care a little less. And only you know when you have gotten to that point. If you want to be a Jaguar fan, if that is a change you feel you need personally for whatever the reason is (and I have seen the reasons you personally have mentioned) than more power to you. It should be something that is fun, and the Jags have a lot of things to be excited about right now. If that has reinvigorated your love for the sport or even just made your real life a little better than it's already worth it. I myself become so invested in anything I am passionate about and I have an addictive personality, so sometimes to actually make my mood and stuff better I have to take steps to try and care less. I still love my Raiders, I pull for them every Sunday, and that I don't think will ever change. But I have worked hard at not letting them ruin my Sundays, or put me in a bad mood. The passion for your team is supposed to be fun, and exciting. It's not supposed to make your life worse. And if it is I advise everyone to take a step back and try to care a little less, or in your case if you need to find a different team without all the heart break, so be it. So people can watch a losing franchise every game and they can brush it off, I am just not built that way. Being ultra competitive can be a gift when you can actually control things, but when you can't, it can be a curse. And if that's the type of personality people have it can effect your real life. And as much as I love football, in the grand scheme it's not important enough to do that to me anymore. 

I do kind of envy the people who can't at least understand a little bit the rational behind your decision. In a lot of cases it probably means they have seen a pretty successful franchise. 

What an awesome answer.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that.  I can understand your love of the Raiders.  They are a team with a very rich history.  Go back to the 70's (when you beat us in a Super Bowl), and you have Ken "The Snake" Stabler, John Madden, Fred Biletnikof, etc.  You also had a lot of other great players like Lyle Alzado, Howie Long, Marcus Allen (whom we passed on, to my dismay, for "Disco" Darren Nelson), and many others.  Your owner, Al Davis, has one of the most iconic quotes in the history of the game "Just win, baby!"  There is a lot to like about the Raiders going way back in their history. 

I'm also with you on Gruden and Mayock.  I'm a fan of Mayock, although I do miss having his analysis when draft time rolls around, and I'm a HUGE fan of Jon Gruden.  I just love his passion for the game and his overall style.  I absolutely LOVED it when I saw him go over to the fans after that last game in Oakland and shake hands and talk to the fans down near the field.  That was such a cool move for him, and I bet the fans really loved it too.  Those fans are also a part of your team's great history.  Just looking at all those skulls, and other masks they foreboding masks they wear really adds to the Raider mystique to an outsider like myself.  They are a really cool team.  You now have one of the best new stadiums in the league too.  I think Gruden will get you to the promised land eventually.

11 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Not really an aversion to purple, as I remember the term "Purple people eaters" in reference to the Viking's defensive line....Guess I thought that was way cooler than "Gang Green"....

As for the Browns, it seems to me the city or state petitioned for the mascot name to stay in Cleveland, since it had come from the founder's name....Not that Baltimore Browns sounds bad, but of course it doesn't make sense either...I've thought it would have been a good idea to let the Colts and Cardinal mascots go back to their respected cities and than let Indianapolis and Arizona choose newer, more appropriate names...But I'm sure that would have involved a great deal of financial expense, and what would they have done with the Ram's mascot?.....Other than maybe using it in Arizona?....Good thing I'm not commissioner, but the $40 million/yr. salary would be nice...

When the Oilers franchise moved to Tennessee, they did use the Oilers mascot from 1997-98 and than later changed it to the Titans...Than Houston received a whole new franchise....Funny, I did not know there were two franchises vying for the bragging rights to Earl Campbell...

I'll have to agree with you on Purple People Eaters over Gang Green.  Then again, the term "Cheeseheads" is iconic, and I can now admit that deep down, I've always been jealous of those cheese wedge hats.  ;)

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 2:12 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It's certainly odd, and quite frankly I'm not convinced it's really possible to SWITCH teams as much as it is to simply stop getting so emotionally invested in that league...

This sounds a lot like where I'm heading. I'm always keeping tabs, I don't think I'll ever stop that. But the investment - both financially and emotionally - I think it's probably going to be done.

I'll still Moderate... because you need me more than I need you. 🤣