I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

45 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Hah, fair point. And I can sympathize with any Bay Area or California-based Raiders fans who might have abandoned their support for the team when this recent move happened - I don’t think many did so, but it’s perfectly understandable for those that did.

As someone living in Europe, where it feels sports teams are the hub of the community more than these “franchises” in American sports are (generalization alert!), I’m not entirely comfortable with relocation as a process. However I understand the reasons that it happens, and usually the positives outweigh the negatives when you look at it from all angles.

For me - I’m a Raiders fan, not an Oakland sports fan, so it’s not as big an issue to me. They could move to Bismarck, North Dakota and I’d still remain a fan. But ultimately I’d have rather they stayed in Oakland and got a new stadium there if it was in any way possible... sadly it just wasn’t.

I'm in the UK mate. 

From here it seems like the Raiders can be moved around without losing their fanbase as much as other teams. Although perhaps that's because they either stay in the same part of the country or move to party central.

23 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

I'm in the UK mate. 

From here it seems like the Raiders can be moved around without losing their fanbase as much as other teams. Although perhaps that's because they either stay in the same part of the country or move to party central.

So am I. The relocating teams over here isn’t really a thing (MK Dons or Livingston-type franchise clubs as very rare exceptions) on anywhere near the level it is in the States, as I’m sure you’re aware.

As I said, not a fan of the general relocation process, but do understand why it has to happen sometimes. It’s also not a big enough deal for me to consider switching teams (I doubt anything would be). And yeah you’re right on the Raiders fans; possibly a few explanations for that, but I’d say primarily the Raiders are quite a strong brand with a wider fanbase outside their location to begin with. They’ve also been through this before - it’s (sadly) in the DNA of the franchise to be shuffled around for political reasons.

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

the most desperate and rousing attempt at a reverse jinx that i have ever seen.

kudos and congrats to the 2021-2022 super bowl champion Minnesota Vikings

Hahaha!  This man has figured it out!  It's all a massive fraud. 

(Just kidding).

If they do win the year after I jumped ship, I'll be happy for the rest of the fans.  It would actually be a very "Vikings" thing for them to do to me.  It would actually be pretty hilarious. 

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Did you think about ownership before you made the switch? Anyway, you chose an AFC team, which is good. Maybe you could still be a Vikings fan, but just have a second team in the AFC you support at arms length. That way, you aren't ripping the bandage off. You might find watching Jaguars football isn't your thing. But I don't know, if you're ready to bounce so be it. I like Jacksonville too. 

I have an NFC team right now - da Bears.  I would have just switched to them, but they were a little close to home and I just wanted a total change of scenery.  Also, I'm planning to move down to the SE part of the country in a few years, so it was down to one of those teams.  Finally, this was the perfect time to start with the Jags too, because they are at the bottom of the league, but they will have a promising new QB and a bunch of ammo to rebuild.  It's kind of like starting over from the start.

17 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Does this mean you'll stop giving us crap about 2009, or is that too much to ask?

Once Sean Payton is gone I'll be cheering for the Saints again.  I actually really like your fans, your team, and your city.  It's just that cheater of a head coach I can't stand.  If you can bear with me until then, we'll be friends again.  I promise.  :)

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Once Sean Payton is gone I'll be cheering for the Saints again.  I actually really like your fans, your team, and your city.  It's just that cheater of a head coach I can't stand.  If you can bear with me until then, we'll be friends again.  I promise.  :)

Disapprove, but fair enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Danger said:

In my opinion, a lot of it depends on why you chose to root for the Vikings in the first place? Are you a local to the Greater Minneapolis area? If you are, then yeah turning your back on your team is kinda bad IMO, but if you've liked them for other reasons then rooting for another team is fine.

I hate to say it, but I was born here.  I can respect how you feel regarding your home town team.  I did consider that before making the switch.  It was just a situation where if it isn't fun watching football anymore, why do it?  I made the jump.  It felt strange at first, but now I'm used to the whole idea of it and it feels comfortable.  I'm glad I did it.

17 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I think the best part about flipping to the Jags is it isn’t quite a fair weather fan decision despite their future looking better. You didn’t just become a chiefs fan or something. So who cares

Vikes are still your NFC team id imagine anyway. 

Nope.  It's 'da Bears.  (But I'll be happy for the Vikings when they win it all).

12 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Do what makes you happy, but if you are able to change your team simply because they haven't reached the top it makes me wonder if you ever really had a passion for them in the way you seem to describe. I couldn't ever do it. I am emotionally attached to my team and I know I could never find another team to replace them, even in another sport. I also wonder... what happens if the Vikings put it together and come up with the big one here soon? Do you go back? Do you cheer for them as your own again? 

Again, do what makes you happy, but this is something I just can't relate to at all.

That's one of the main reasons I made this thread, to explain the thinking behind it all.  I absolutely had a passion for the Vikings for many years.  It just gradually changed to the point where I had to force myself to care as much as I used to.  Maybe it's just a part of getting older.  Hard to say.

If the Vikings finally get over the hump and win it all, I will be the first one to admit that I would totally deserve that.  It is what it is, though.  For the sake of all the other great Vikings fans on this site, I hope they do.  I'll be happy for them, and even though it wouldn't be the same for me, it would at least be some closure on my Vikings fandom.  If they are playing in the Super Bowl, I'll be rooting for them to win - unless it's against the Jags.  Then all bets are off and I'm cheering for the Jags.

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Ahem.... And I thought we had a good thing going, you and I. 

Sorry Matts.  Believe it or not, the Cowboys were VERY high on the list of teams I was considering.  They were my childhood favorite and Texas is a great state too.  It was close, but that #1 overall pick was just too hard to pass up. 

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I could never switch teams, but it’s really up to the individual. I have to admit I can’t stand bandwagon fans who will hop on the Patriots or Chiefs or whoever is the current dominant team at the time. I’m sure none of them particularly care what I or any others think about their glory-hunting nature, but I just feel it’s shallow.

Not to say this is the situation you’re in, @Uncle Buck, as it’s clearly not, otherwise you would just have picked the Chiefs or some other perennial contender. You’re essentially starting again, which I can’t really see an issue with. Something to consider, though - say the Vikings win a championship soon while the Jaguars never sniff success; where does that leave you? Obviously you’ll still be happy for the Vikes, but that would be a strange feeling knowing you’ve emotionally “checked out” and then success has followed.

When you think about it the whole concept of fandom is a strange one. Why are we so emotionally involved in something completely outwith our control? As an international fan I have no actual ties to the Raiders - I’m not local, I don’t have any family links, or any other real reason other than I was playing Madden as a 13-year-old and loved the logo and colors. But now I’m so invested and go through the whole anticipation, anxiety, frustration, elation, devastation process every week (usually in that order). And it’ll be totally worth it when we finally win our next title in 2063.

You're right about that.  That is something that is a definite possibility.  I have little doubt that the Vikings will eventually get there.  I'm not sure if it will be in my lifetime, but if you keep getting as close as they have, things will eventually fall into place and you will win one.  As you said, it would be a strange feeling, but it's just what you have to accept when you change teams.  I'll be happy for them, and in some strange way, I will still feel fulfilled to some degree.  As for the Jaguars, other than pure potential right now, there is really no reason to believe they will ever get their act together.  They have been doormats for most of their existence.  That might be part of what attracted me to them too though.  They have a chance to turn things around, and that's something that would be nice to see for them and to be a part of in some small way.  It won't be the same as it is for their long time fans, but that's OK.  At the end of the day, this is all just entertainment anyway.