I've Switched Teams. Is That "Kosher?"

Uncle Buck

You're of course entitled to root for whoever you choose. It's football and it's supposed to be fun - for the most part. But, won't it feel pretty crumby when Minnesota finally does inevitably win one? That would probably be what would keep me around if nothing else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That would be really nice.  I'll just have to see what finances permit.  I've been down to Naples and that was pretty nice, but maybe a little spendy.  Hard to say where I'll end up.  I actually wouldn't mind being on one of the big reservoir lakes in Tennessee either. 

Ocean* I hate my spell checker

36 minutes ago, WideRight said:

You're of course entitled to root for whoever you choose. It's football and it's supposed to be fun - for the most part. But, won't it feel pretty crumby when Minnesota finally does inevitably win one? That would probably be what would keep me around if nothing else.

Not at all.  It will actually feel very good because there are a lot of Vikings fans who have been going down the same path as I went down.  I decided to turn down a different path, but I will always hope their journey brings them joy.

If it makes you happy. Go for it. Whatever helps to make life better 🙂

I was in a situation once about having to decide whether to switch teams.

Not being from America and somewhere that has a local team, you sort of have to find a way to pick a team to follow, usually watching them and seeing who catches your eye. 

But it wasn't a team that I was drawn to, it was a player. Sure you can tell who 🙂.

So of course I started supporting the Indianapolis Colts. Never did think Peyton wouldn't end his career there and assumed he'd be a Colt until he retired.

Of course that's not what happened and Peyton ended up going to Denver. So I was stuck for a while because I was by then a fully integrated Colts fan but also wanted to keep supporting Peyton.

In the end I decided to become a Broncos fan also and support both teams. Initially I did get a bit of stick from people about it. How you can't support two teams, how you're bandwagon jumping etc, etc. 

Eventually though it stopped because they got used to it, saw I was passionate about both teams and just realized I was happiest with both. Still get ribbed every now and again especially when they play each other but it's just banter now. 

Ultimately, it's what makes you happy that's most important, and if you feel by switching teams you'll be happier, then just do it. Lifetimes shouldn't be wasted on misery and what ifs.

That being said you're a divisional rival now so all the best apart from when you play the Colts both times, and I think you play the Broncos too so apart from that game as well 😄.

• Like 1

I remember that 1969 season Chiefs/Vikings Super Bowl also. Actually I can go back a couple of years earlier. As a Dolphins fan I don't know what I would do if let's say my fandom began in 1976 and not a decade earlier while early in elementary school. These days I participate in Dolphin forums but don't really understand the frustration of other members. The early '70s versions will always be the Miami Dolphins to me. Everything subsequent feels like a Whopper still called a Whopper but nothing but dirt between the buns.

So many moronic choices since the early '80s. That's why I let go of all expectation. You aren't rewarded for idiocy: Marino throwing the ball every play when the rules of that era did not reward it. Abandoning the rollicking wondrous Orange Bowl in favor of a bland concrete monstrosity in the middle of nowhere. Once my dad and I visited that stadium while still under construction in December 1986 we agreed there would be no championships. Then the Canes took the same stupid route two decades later. No more titles for them either. 

More recently the Dolphins gave up the classic logo for the motion sickness version, and butchered the uniform and color scheme also. Now fans rave every time the classic uniforms briefly return but naturally corporate types are too stubborn to concede a gross error so management refuses to go back full time.

I'm not switching away from the Dolphins because as long as nobody else goes unbeaten it feels like we just won it again. That's why I've posted on countless sites that I don't care how many Super Bowls Mahomes wins. Blow a game somewhere along the line and we're good. 

The Jaguars are an extremely interesting choice. I wouldn't quarrel with that switch. For years I was certain Urban Meyer was itching to coach in the NFL. Then two years ago it seemed obvious he would hitch his fortunes to whatever team earned Trevor Lawrence. 

But they need to revert uniforms and logo also. Teal wins.

Fandom is an interesting concept.  Most of the time people root for their regional teams.  I'm a Giants fan because the Giants were always playing on FOX where I live 4 hours from NYC.  I sometimes wonder if my allegiance would change if I were to relocate to a different state to an area with a different prominent NFL team.  I think the answer is yes. 

But I don't see myself changing teams just because I've been disappointed by the Giants.  I think I'm more likely to root for no team at all.  Just sort of tune in to the good match ups when I'm bored, and that would be the extent of my NFL fandom.

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

I see I'm pretty late to the party. Honestly you're one of the last guys I would have expected to switch teams, but I can't hold it against you. I was pretty much exclusively a Vikings fan for 25 years until I started supporting the Guardians of the XFL, which led me to the Giants. I'm not sure how I'll explain to my relatives that I'm rooting for two teams now, but I hardly ever see them since COVID-19 so it hasn't been an issue. 

Have you broken the news to your dad?

I don't think there is a problem with it because at the end of the day people can root for whoever they want to root for.  If the Panthers ever relocated I'd stop being a fan.  

However I do think you have to be careful about not rooting for a team just because they aren't winning or don't seem like they will win.  Not because it is a problem but because you just never know what can happen in the NFL.  Sure the Jags future looks promising on paper but so did the Colts when they got Luck.  Packers were primed for a dynasty after 2010 and never made it back to a Super Bowl.  Bucs hadn't made the playoffs since 2007 and won it all this year.  Rams were crap for a long time after 2004 or 2005 and within 2 years they turned it around and made it to a Super Bowl. 

One of the best things about the NFL is how fast a team can go from crap to great and the other way around.  What made the 2015 Panthers even more special to me is how unexpected it was.  Like it came out of nowhere how dominant we were.  

LIS though don't feel bad about your decision (haven't read through most of the read) because it is whatever will satisfy you the most that matters but I do think it is worth being patient in your support of a team, in any sport.  

Edited by iknowcool

On 2/9/2021 at 10:45 PM, Scottish_Viking said:

I'm from Scotland for christ sake and can't understand just switching teams.

*Haven't scrolled through thread so dont know if trolling

If you're from Scotland though I'm guessing you understand the British "never switch your team" culture that seems to be a thing over here in the UK, so I'm not surprised if you might not personally switch a team.

To answer the OP, I think switch your team if you want, ultimately (like it or not), sports teams are businesses, you can watch who you want, switch if the club suddenly doesn't fit in with your morals for whatever reason, and even the teams who play you need support, or your team wouldn't play because everyone else would have gone bust.