2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

3 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Part of me thinks we should just let all of our FAs go and have the down year then collect the comp picks and start the process.  Take your lumps and when Holmes has his front office/staff he will have extra ammo.  Okwara, Jones, Golladay.  That would net us 3 3rd round picks most likely.

This is actually not the worst plan. 

Honestly, if we aren't keeping Stafford I don't see the value in paying KG $16M a year as a rebuilding team. I don't see him at a Davante or Hopkins level. Unless we bring back #9 let someone else pay him. 

1 minute ago, BZski said:

Wow! I didn’t realize Trey Hendrickson is a FA this offseason. He should be our #1 target in FA. Young, had 13.5 sacks this year, can play in the run game, and the Saints connections to Glenn and Campbell.

72.1 Overall (54.8 against the run; 78.0 as a pass-rusher)

9 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I think after listening to the press conference we’re keeping Stafford 

I agree! I think they give him an extension so they don’t have to hear trade questions for 2 years. I think it is clear we’re building around Stafford.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He seems awfully similar to Okwara.  Good sack numbers, struggles against the run.  If he doesn't get a sack, he isn't making plays.  

He is way better than Okwara IMO. The guy gets consistent pressure. Run grade could be scheme specific as we all know our priorities here in Detroit was run first/pressure 2nd (or never in our case). NO scheme was more aggressive so harder for PFF to grade IMO.

7 minutes ago, BZski said:

He is way better than Okwara IMO. The guy gets consistent pressure. Run grade could be scheme specific as we all know our priorities here in Detroit was run first/pressure 2nd (or never in our case). NO scheme was more aggressive so harder for PFF to grade IMO.

Eh, Sportrac has them at similar market values.  I think this is a case of wanting what someone else has and not liking what we have, but in actuallity they are similar.  Perhaps in a more aggressive system, Okwara would put up even better numbers and improve in the run game.  But PFF has a god idea in how to grade a play and have multiple people grading so I am guessing they are pretty similar. Hendrickson might be slightly better but honestly I am guessing there isnt a huge gap. 

22 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I think after listening to the press conference we’re keeping Stafford 

The presser was odd, and not sure how I feel about DC.  He seems to be all over the place, and will take the right people around him to be able to work with him and his energy.  I like the energy but it comes off as unprepared and unable to articulate what he was trying to say.  

Regarding philosophies, I like that he said he wants assistants that are adaptable and not my system no matter what kind of guys.  Exploiting matchups is the key to winning against different schemes and players so I like that strategy and interest in adapting styles for the situation.  

Overall I feel about the same as I did before.  He will be a guy people can rally around but just hope he has enough experience to pull it all together. 

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Eh, Sportrac has them at similar market values.  I think this is a case of wanting what someone else has and not liking what we have, but in actuallity they are similar.  Perhaps in a more aggressive system, Okwara would put up even better numbers and improve in the run game.  But PFF has a god idea in how to grade a play and have multiple people grading so I am guessing they are pretty similar. Hendrickson might be slightly better but honestly I am guessing there isnt a huge gap. 

Could be the whole grass is always greener syndrome but from the eye test I think Hendrickson is way better. He wins matchups a lot quicker, he gets one on one sacks were some of Okwaras seemed like “right place right time” sacks. I think Hendrickson is the type of FA you pay money too that has broken out and will continue to rise. Okwara is too up and down so far in his career and athletically go look at Hendrickson’s combine, he is way more athletic (ran a 4.65 40)!

Edited by BZski

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The presser was odd, and not sure how I feel about DC.  He seems to be all over the place, and will take the right people around him to be able to work with him and his energy.  I like the energy but it comes off as unprepared and unable to articulate what he was trying to say.  

Regarding philosophies, I like that he said he wants assistants that are adaptable and not my system no matter what kind of guys.  Exploiting matchups is the key to winning against different schemes and players so I like that strategy and interest in adapting styles for the situation.  

Overall I feel about the same as I did before.  He will be a guy people can rally around but just hope he has enough experience to pull it all together. 

He is pretty much what I had expected. He's going to be the rah rah guy that should bring people together. 

His message is really not that much different than Patricia's. It feels like the team was happy with the message that Patricia was sending but the delivery and the messenger was the wrong one. 

There is no question, he's going to survive or die based on the quality of his coordinators and other assistants. He hasn't been a play caller so he can't fall back on that if things go south. I do think that players will relate more to his message than with Patricia, even if it's the same or close. He has been in their shoes before, even in Detroit. He does know exactly how the community views this team and how we are viewed outside. If he asks someone to do something or if he is calling someone out, it's because he knows exactly what it is like. It feels like guys will just look at him and automatically have more respect as opposed to Patricia and his appearance/health.

His professional experience is at a position that is one of the least important on the field, which again emphasizes the importance of really good coordinators and coaches. 

I'm not sure what to think about the departure of a few key position coaches - Sean Ryan leaving for the same role, Hank Fraley rumoured to be looking elsewhere, Coombs being fired before the end of the season despite having a top ST unit. It's also a bit concerning on the amount of time it has been in announcing our OC/DC. Glenn has just been announced but it's a little concerning that it took that long to lock him up. 

40 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He is pretty much what I had expected. He's going to be the rah rah guy that should bring people together. 

His message is really not that much different than Patricia's. It feels like the team was happy with the message that Patricia was sending but the delivery and the messenger was the wrong one. 

There is no question, he's going to survive or die based on the quality of his coordinators and other assistants. He hasn't been a play caller so he can't fall back on that if things go south. I do think that players will relate more to his message than with Patricia, even if it's the same or close. He has been in their shoes before, even in Detroit. He does know exactly how the community views this team and how we are viewed outside. If he asks someone to do something or if he is calling someone out, it's because he knows exactly what it is like. It feels like guys will just look at him and automatically have more respect as opposed to Patricia and his appearance/health.

His professional experience is at a position that is one of the least important on the field, which again emphasizes the importance of really good coordinators and coaches. 

I'm not sure what to think about the departure of a few key position coaches - Sean Ryan leaving for the same role, Hank Fraley rumoured to be looking elsewhere, Coombs being fired before the end of the season despite having a top ST unit. It's also a bit concerning on the amount of time it has been in announcing our OC/DC. Glenn has just been announced but it's a little concerning that it took that long to lock him up. 

I am not worried about taking time to find the right coordinators.  Glenn was rumored for a while so I have no issues with that, they just had to officially lock up DC before negotiating with Glenn.  He officially got the job yesterday, and was still coaching for the Saints 4 days ago.  I'd rather he take his time and find the right guys than rush just to fill the roles. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not worried about taking time to find the right coordinators.  Glenn was rumored for a while so I have no issues with that, they just had to officially lock up DC before negotiating with Glenn.  He officially got the job yesterday, and was still coaching for the Saints 4 days ago.  I'd rather he take his time and find the right guys than rush just to fill the roles. 

Yeah I feel this way too. An the experience raises an eyebrow for sure, the good thing I hear about EVERY hire so far is that other organizations liked them or thought highly of them(GM/HC/DC). It's not just the Lions. They might be early to the party sure, but honestly they might not come here if they had better offers/situations.