2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

On 2/6/2021 at 6:06 PM, flyguy1609 said:

Who knows if it’s true or how long 

Based on other WR contracts thats probably low, but I don't really want to pay him that much especially in a year that the cap might drop some. If he gets 17 a year, he would be the 9th highest paid WR.  16M puts him as the 14th highest paid WR and with the way contracts lag some, he would be making more than Devante Adams and Stefon Diggs.  There isnt a WR making less than 15M I would rather have than him, but that being said I still struggle to pay a WR that much with our needs. 

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Based on other WR contracts thats probably low, but I don't really want to pay him that much especially in a year that the cap might drop some. If he gets 17 a year, he would be the 9th highest paid WR.  16M puts him as the 14th highest paid WR and with the way contracts lag some, he would be making more than Devante Adams and Stefon Diggs.  There isnt a WR making less than 15M I would rather have than him, but that being said I still struggle to pay a WR that much with our needs. 

on top of he cant sty heaalthy. im ready to tag and trade

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Do you think he just didn't want to re-sign under Quintirica or do you think it's because he won't accept $16M? Maybe both?

I would also guess if that’s what he turned down from prior to the season, that he was probably banking on improving his stock this year. Which didn’t really happen. 

Not that it tanked his value or anything, but it certainly didn’t improve it. And the Market didn’t improve either (lower cap for this year and probably next). 

Feels like a very simple case of Tagging him, let him see where Robinson sets the Market at for 2021 (he’s above everyone else) and then see where the rest of the tier he belongs to falls.

You can hold off on negotiations until Godwin, JuJu, Fuller and even Samuel sign. He should fall amongst them, and if he still doesn’t want to after the market is set, then you can move him for a future pick or even just hang onto him to see how he meshes in the new offense

Edited by StLunatic88

On 2/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I would also guess if that’s what he turned down from prior to the season, that he was probably banking on improving his stock this year. Which didn’t really happen. 

Not that it tanked his value or anything, but it certainly didn’t improve it. And the Market didn’t improve either (lower cap for this year and probably next). 

Feels like a very simple case of Tagging him, let him see where Robinson sets the Market at for 2021 (he’s above everyone else) and then see where the rest of the tier he belongs to falls.

You can hold off on negotiations until Godwin, JuJu, Fuller and even Samuel sign. He should fall amongst them, and if he still doesn’t want to after the market is set, then you can move him for a future pick or even just hang onto him to see how he meshes in the new offense

......or you could sign one of those guys yourself (some of them are upgrades from KG and none are really a step down), cut bait and let Kenny take his chances.....

Edited by Miblue

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

......or you could sign one of those guys yourself (some of them are upgrades from KG and none are really a step down), cut bait and let Kenny take his chances.....

Do you really find any of them as Upgrades to KG? (Much less a significant one)

Maybe the argument can be made for Godwin but he didn’t continue the breakout this past year, nor has he played a full season sin 2018. JuJu definitely isn’t, feels like he is a 1b at best, more of a high end #2. And if injuries with Golladay have been a concern, Will Fuller should never even enter the conversation. And Samuel is in the lower range than any of these guys.

Not to mention, my point was that you have the ability to Franchise Tag KG, that way you don’t let a talent just walk away for next to nothing. You don’t have that option with any other of these WRs, you are trying to pull one away from his Super Bowl team. Another from a historical contender, who will also have the pull to go back to California/West Coast. And the third you re trying to pry way from his good buddy at QB who they don’t seem to be trading away any time soon. Plus they all can just Tag these guys too and they never make the market.

There are a lot of routes you could take when it comes to Kenny Golladay, but just letting him walk, with no guarantee to replace that talent, seems like a bad move.

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you really find any of them as Upgrades to KG? (Much less a significant one)

Maybe the argument can be made for Godwin but he didn’t continue the breakout this past year, nor has he played a full season sin 2018. JuJu definitely isn’t, feels like he is a 1b at best, more of a high end #2. And if injuries with Golladay have been a concern, Will Fuller should never even enter the conversation. And Samuel is in the lower range than any of these guys.

Not to mention, my point was that you have the ability to Franchise Tag KG, that way you don’t let a talent just walk away for next to nothing. You don’t have that option with any other of these WRs, you are trying to pull one away from his Super Bowl team. Another from a historical contender, who will also have the pull to go back to California/West Coast. And the third you re trying to pry way from his good buddy at QB who they don’t seem to be trading away any time soon. Plus they all can just Tag these guys too and they never make the market.

There are a lot of routes you could take when it comes to Kenny Golladay, but just letting him walk, with no guarantee to replace that talent, seems like a bad move.

Theres a ton of ways to go on this and the lions are far from hamstrung as far as their options go. They could sign Allen Robinson (who is a definate upgrade over KG) draft Smith, chase, waddle (all of whom would be upgrades over over KG as well) or even wait till '22 to load up (not my favorite choice but with all the draft firepower theyll have next year, its feasible) and it's not like theyll be competing for anything this upcoming season anyways.

Edited by Miblue

24 minutes ago, Miblue said:

Theres a ton of ways to go on this and the lions are far from hamstrung as far as their options go. They could sign Allen Robinson (who is a definate upgrade over KG) draft Smith, chase, waddle (all of whom would be upgrades over over KG as well) or even wait till '22 to load up (not my favorite choice but with all the draft firepower theyll have next year, its feasible) and it's not like theyll be competing for anything this upcoming season anyways.

Imagine this draft is so loaded three prospects who have played a combined zero snaps in the NFL will be better than a guy who's proven to be a very productive NFL WR. 

I dont think any vets outside of Robinson are better than KG and even that is not by much.  He also will cost more than KG most likely.  

I do think however that you can fill the position with a few guys and be in a better situation.  I think a duo of Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel is better than just KG, and likely will be in the same realm cost wise.  Then add one or two in the draft and we have a solid WR core opposed to KG and Cephus.  would rather tag him and trade him if possible but I do know that is rare and hard to pull of in the league.  That being said, John Dorsey works those trade lines well so it wouldnt shock me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont think any vets outside of Robinson are better than KG and even that is not by much.  He also will cost more than KG most likely.  

I do think however that you can fill the position with a few guys and be in a better situation.  I think a duo of Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel is better than just KG, and likely will be in the same realm cost wise.  Then add one or two in the draft and we have a solid WR core opposed to KG and Cephus.  would rather tag him and trade him if possible but I do know that is rare and hard to pull of in the league.  That being said, John Dorsey works those trade lines well so it wouldnt shock me. 

I'd also look towards 2022 and 2023 to add someone in free agency. This is a group of guys that are in their mid 20's (25-26) in their FA year

• DJ Moore
  • Christian Kirk
  • DJ Chark
  • Michael Gallup
  • Tre'quan Smith
  • LJ Humphrey (24)

2023 - Year that new TV money kicks in (according to Schefter)

• Marquise Brown
  • N'Keal Harry
  • Deebo Samuel
  • AJ Brown
  • Mecole Hardman
  • Parris Campbell
  • DK Metcalf
  • Terry McLaurin
  • Miles Boykin
  • Darius Slayton

If we were to sign Davis and Samuel this year, draft someone like Chase (or Pitts if you wanted to run him at WR) we'd have a really nice trio for 2021. 

If Goff is your guy, you could add someone like Tre'Quan Smith as your #4 and boosting up your overall depth. If you wanted to go with a rookie in 2022 and beyond, it wouldn't shock me if at least one of Hollywood Brown, AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin or DK Metcalf became available. 

Kenny G is 28 years old... this year... he'll be 30 - 31 by the time the Lions are really looking at taking that next step. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd also look towards 2022 and 2023 to add someone in free agency. This is a group of guys that are in their mid 20's (25-26) in their FA year

• DJ Moore
  • Christian Kirk
  • DJ Chark
  • Michael Gallup
  • Tre'quan Smith
  • LJ Humphrey (24)

2023 - Year that new TV money kicks in (according to Schefter)

• Marquise Brown
  • N'Keal Harry
  • Deebo Samuel
  • AJ Brown
  • Mecole Hardman
  • Parris Campbell
  • DK Metcalf
  • Terry McLaurin
  • Miles Boykin
  • Darius Slayton

If we were to sign Davis and Samuel this year, draft someone like Chase (or Pitts if you wanted to run him at WR) we'd have a really nice trio for 2021. 

If Goff is your guy, you could add someone like Tre'Quan Smith as your #4 and boosting up your overall depth. If you wanted to go with a rookie in 2022 and beyond, it wouldn't shock me if at least one of Hollywood Brown, AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin or DK Metcalf became available. 

Kenny G is 28 years old... this year... he'll be 30 - 31 by the time the Lions are really looking at taking that next step. 

It's crazy that KG and A-Rob are the same age. Personally, I'd love to see the Lions sign Chris Godwin or Juju. But Corey Davis seems like a more realistic option. Tyrell Williams might be a nice guy to pair with Davis. Williams played for Anthony Lynn in San Diego.