2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm with Karnage. I think Emmanuel Sanders is a strong option. I expect he'll be cheaper than that price. I think we could land him on a 1 year deal worth $6 million or $7 million. He's still a good WR, and he's reportedly a great locker room presence.

Best Friends Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 2

There so many options but I hope they sit tight in free agency and wade in after the dust settles. 

With the cap I expect there will be a number of players that will have to settle for less than they are expecting. Let those with lots of cap room spend then go bargain hunting offering short term deals. It will give the Lions flexibility and offer the player an opportunity at free agency after the cap normalizes.

• Like 2

I think the front office should just clean house.  Then let it be know that if young players want to come here to get a chance to play they can and if they want to sign one year deals they can.  That way we get a chance to get young talent (we’re going to suck anyway) if they turn out to be decent great we can try and resign them.  If not we collect a comp pick.  Either way I think we should sign a lot of 1 and 2 year deals this year.  Maybe 1 or 2 cornerstone players in FA to longer contracts but that’s it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Agree in principle , regardless of immediate on the field results veteran leadership can be immeasurable in teaching young guys how to be pro’s.  This coach staff is pretty unique with so many highly respected former players.  I’m sure the FO will value having some vets to help the young guys but with this staff it may not be so necessary.  

Well its partially to help the young guys, partially to know what you are getting at the position. I feel like TY and Watkins have more left in the tank than Sanders and have a higher upside for similar money.  Its just good to know you are getting production because it takes time for rookies to adapt and be worth having on the field.  Thats why you sign cheaper vets that allow you to bench them or reduce their role if a young guy steps up.  

It sounds a lot like the Lions will not be big spenders and may even try to sign mostly guys that were cut by other teams since they don't factor into the comp pick formula. In that regard someone like Sanders would be a good option. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, Lions017 said:

It sounds a lot like the Lions will not be big spenders and may even try to sign mostly guys that were cut by other teams since they don't factor into the comp pick formula. In that regard someone like Sanders would be a good option. 

I hope this is their strategy.  We dont have cap space and aren't one or two pieces away.  Lets get a couple 3rd Rd comp picks for Okwara and Kenny G, and build through the draft.  Sign some guys who were cut and have potential and hope for the best this season that our staff can develop some guys.