2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

Be pretty disappointed if they don’t tag KG, just doesn’t make any sense to let him walk.   Best case tag and trade but if the right offer doesn’t come oh well he plays one year at 16 mil.  There’s a lot of possibilities on how things could work out using the tag, letting him walk just seems lazy.  The trade deadline is more active than ever before with coaches having more confidence new players can come in and figure things out on the fly in a new system and some contender always needs a playmaker to make that push.  Atlanta got a 2nd for frickin Sanu a few years back.

31 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Pretty much what I expected, and honestly it's the right move.

Makes sense. A tag-and-trade was possible but you also take the risk that you're going to be stuck with him or that teams will look through the smokescreen and you can miss out on other free agent moves. 

I think they waited till the last minute to see if they got a call, but obviously they didn't.

Besides the cap going down, besides the obvious rebuilding year, there's the fact that Golladay made it clear last year he needed his money and wasn't going to go out of his way to play if he didn't get it. Other teams saw that too. Putting him under the tag, either to keep or trade, wasn't going to end very well for anyone involved.

5 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I think they waited till the last minute to see if they got a call, but obviously they didn't.

Besides the cap going down, besides the obvious rebuilding year, there's the fact that Golladay made it clear last year he needed his money and wasn't going to go out of his way to play if he didn't get it. Other teams saw that too. Putting him under the tag, either to keep or trade, wasn't going to end very well for anyone involved.

Yeah...I hope that's the case. Financially it would've been very tough for them to keep him, so if they didn't have any real offers lined up for him it makes sense to just take the comp pick. 

It'll be interesting to see if they bring in another veteran. I hope so - you don't want a rookie WR to come in with the expectation that they immediately produce as a #1 wideout. 

I feel like you could sign someone like Corey Davis for significantly less money than Golladay and end up with similar production, even if Golladay ends up being a bit better. 

9 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Yeah...I hope that's the case. Financially it would've been very tough for them to keep him, so if they didn't have any real offers lined up for him it makes sense to just take the comp pick. 

It'll be interesting to see if they bring in another veteran. I hope so - you don't want a rookie WR to come in with the expectation that they immediately produce as a #1 wideout. 

I feel like you could sign someone like Corey Davis for significantly less money than Golladay and end up with similar production, even if Golladay ends up being a bit better. 

Remember, though, that compensatory picks depend not only on who you lost in free agency, but who you added also.

We need to be braced for the possibility that the 2021 Lions consist of a great deal of young, cheap, no-name players with very inconsistent talent.