2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Wilson and Rodgers have good regular seasons but when is the last time they won a Super Bowl.  He has kept them relevant but they aren't winning championships because football is the ultimate team sport.  And the Chiefs will have to adjust, and they are going to lose free agents because of it.  Mahomes will keep them relevant but he is a generational talent.  Goff and the Rams had great teams when he was on his rookie deal and have struggled to repeat that since he took up another 15M, which is about what a really good pass rusher would cost plus a decent LB.  The Eagles won when they had Wentz on a rookie deal and since paying him have fallen off.  Yes there are other factors, but losing out on two good starters to pay your QB can really hurt your team.  

With Dak, he is probably a top 10 QB who played behind a good OL and had a great RB and great WRs.  I am not sure that happens with out team, so I'd be skeptical paying him 30+ coming off an injury.  

Well, I can't make you give credit to teams that make the playoffs consistently in the hardest sport to make the playoffs, so, if you wanna discredit those guys/teams there isn't much conversation to have. I see it a little differently, you're welcome to slight it. I'm just not going to when 10-6/9-7 teams can/have won Superbowls.

6 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Well, I can't make you give credit to teams that make the playoffs consistently in the hardest sport to make the playoffs, so, if you wanna discredit those guys/teams there isn't much conversation to have. I see it a little differently, you're welcome to slight it. I'm just not going to when 10-6/9-7 teams can/have won Superbowls.

I get it, and I want to be there but the number of QBs that do that are few and far between.  Wilson and Rodgers have.  Brady and Maholmes likely are too.  Other than that you don't really see it.  Even Watson had an awful year record wise but put up numbers.  Dak has always put up numbers and been right around 8-8 with no playoff wins.  I agree, it would be great to make the playoffs every year, but still those teams have fallen off once they pay their QB.  In general, the teams that have success without a top 3/4 QB are the ones not paying their QB top dollar. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What if you pick the wrong guy or the cost to move up mortgages Lions draft/future. 

Then you do what the Cardinals did - admit your mistake and move on quickly. This is why you have Holmes and Dorsey, guys who are proven to identify talent and improve a roster even without a lot of first round picks.

Again, no guarantee of success here and I'm not assuming the Lions will be great now. But for once, they are assembling guys to run the team who I trust (until I see otherwise) to take big shots at greatness. No risk it, no biscuit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Then you do what the Cardinals did - admit your mistake and move on quickly. This is why you have Holmes and Dorsey, guys who are proven to identify talent and improve a roster even without a lot of first round picks.

Again, no guarantee of success here and I'm not assuming the Lions will be great now. But for once, they are assembling guys to run the team who I trust (until I see otherwise) to take big shots at greatness. No risk it, no biscuit.

This is fair, you're just willing to risk it. I understand this.

I'd rather give Jameis a 2 year $20M deal or an Andy Dalton type for less money, build up the team with some FA moves. Wait until the draft, see what happens and maybe leverage #7 for a bunch of other picks to continue the rebuild. There are always guys that pop out of the woodwork like a Joe Burrow and you can get off of a 1st round rookie QB much easier these days if a mistake was made. 

28 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd rather give Jameis a 2 year $20M deal or an Andy Dalton type for less money, build up the team with some FA moves. Wait until the draft, see what happens and maybe leverage #7 for a bunch of other picks to continue the rebuild. There are always guys that pop out of the woodwork like a Joe Burrow and you can get off of a 1st round rookie QB much easier these days if a mistake was made. 

I want nothing to do with Dalton but would consider a prove it deal for Jameis, or even a move for Mariotta or Darnold to kick the tires on someone who might be like Tannehill. I would still like to draft a QB pretty high.  I am actually warming up to Mac Jones so if we signed one of these guys and then trade down we could potentially add picks and get a QBOTF.  It will also depend on the return we get for Stafford.  We need to use him to boost the franchise whether it be a bunch of picks or moving up for his replacement.  

7 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

With our staff they usually had 2-3 rbs I can see them bring ap back or going after mark ingram to team up with kerryon & swift 

I'd be glad to bring in Ingram to replace AP. 

Kerryon is a talented back he's just struggled with injuries. It's possible that Lynn and Staley can get him on track.