Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Trubisky to the Bills, leaving Alex Smith as the lone vet that I can think of that the Broncos could target to give Lock some competition.  So, it's either the Broncos draft Trey Lance, or Fields, or trade up for Wilson.  Or, they really are going to make a run for Watson.  There is just no other scenario to really play out.  Unless, they have failed on all options, and they will be stuck with a Lock/Rypien combo at QB next year. 

Paton saw him a ton.  And wasn’t interested.   Can’t say I blame him.  His flaws are really hard to fix after 4 years (lack of read progression / recognition and poor accuracy are as bad of a combo as it gets).   Only a backup and BUF knows about fixing mechanical issues but I get why Paton wasn’t interested even at that price. 

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Trubisky to the Bills, leaving Alex Smith as the lone vet that I can think of that the Broncos could target to give Lock some competition.  So, it's either the Broncos draft Trey Lance, or Fields, or trade up for Wilson.  Or, they really are going to make a run for Watson.  There is just no other scenario to really play out.  Unless, they have failed on all options, and they will be stuck with a Lock/Rypien combo at QB next year. 

I've mentioned it before but I don't think they really want competition. I think they want a mentor that is a very viable backup.

Smith certainly fills that bill.

22 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It goes back to the Gordon signing for me. Hated that signing then, hate it now. 

I’ve always felt Lindsay is an underrated back, top 10 in the NFL imo. 

Naw , he's not top 10. He's the ideal 4th quarter RB if you're trying to run out the clock, protecting a lead though. teams already are expecting the run and Lindsay with fresh legs in the 4th is a DC's nightmare.

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If they don't get Watson or draft a QB this yr, I am actually fine with it.  Not because I think Lock is doing anything.  I figure we wait till we get rid of Fangio and Shurmur and start fresh.  Have a high 1st rd pick next yr would be nice too.  Draft our QB and move on from Lock.

Edited by UnitedInOrgange
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I've mentioned it before but I don't think they really want competition. I think they want a mentor that is a very viable backup.

Smith certainly fills that bill.

Idk Paton is attending pro days particularly evaluating QBs . Doesn't look good for Drew .

1 hour ago, UnitedInOrgange said:

If they don't get Watson or draft a QB this yr, I am actually fine with it.  Not because I think Lock is doing anything.  I figure we wait till we get rid of Fangio and Shurmur and start fresh.  Have a high 1st rd pick next yr would be nice too.  Draft our QB and move on from Lock.

Honestly if Watson situation is in limbo - I’d be fine with waiting too.  It’s only a matter of time before he leaves Houston.   If there’s more than actually presented obv that changes but nothing so far should prevent Paton from pursuing him aggressively if the matter settles.    But obviously can’t do anything until then.  

And the beauty - there wouldn’t be a major disadvantage in draft capital from teams that want him.  Take out NYJ / MIA / CAR (my favorite to move up) and whoever gets the 4th QB - we’d be in as good of shape as anyone.   And a preferred destination for Watson, and a year of additional draft improvement.   

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

While I've been a strong advocate not to overspend - if there was 1 guy we should consider it for out of the guys who could hit the market, it's Kyle Fuller.   He would cost 14M for this year - then hit FA.     The most likely scenario is that Chicago would trade Fuller before they'd cut him.    They need to consider this because they aren't likely to keep both Hicks & Fuller next year, and the A-Rob franchise tag and cap squeeze and need to sign Dalton / OL help has them in a bit of a bind.  

I'd probably pay a 4th round pick and try to extend Fuller. 

Then we'd have Fuller, Darby (with Ojemudia as our 3rd CB) on the outside, and Callahan inside.  Suddenly our CB corps is very good.    

To be clear, no way I'm paying a Day 2 pick at that $$.     He's not at huge bargain prices - but he's also young, and he fits Fangio's system perfectly (duh).    I think part of Paton's patience here is due to the flexibility in cap offers us a chance to be one of the 7-8 teams with flush cap space who can capitalize on the market if a talent like Fuller becomes available.

I think @BroncoBruin also mentioned this.  But I’d be all for getting Fuller.  He’d be our #1 CB with Darby outside and Callahan inside and Ojemudia as our 4th CB.   Young, already performing at a highly level and a great fit for the Fangio D.  

Then we can really approach the draft not purely out of need for our first 2 picks.    Trading back wouldn’t be crazy if we wanted to accumulate draft capital for a Hou QB later post draft too.   

Edited by Broncofan

BTW, don't be surprised if Fuller is traded tomorrow.   The move isn't official until sometime tomorrow, and obviously a team could swoop in.   If I'm Paton, I'd be willing to offer a 5th, because it's 5.8, close to a late 4th.

Rodney Hudson got a late 3rd, but his contract was a bargain for 2/20M.    Fuller's 5th year option is for 14M, so it's OK value-wise for a #1 CB, but not a bargain.   Other teams will be interested, but at that cap number, I'd be surprised if it cost more than a Day 3 pick (and he might still just get outright released, given Chicago has no leverage).

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And get Fuller.

I’m hoping there’s a chance Kareem sees Justin get the money the entire locker room has been waiting him to get, sees the talent in that CB room and swallows a little pride to play in a great secondary for 5-6 million. I don’t think it’s likely and ultimately I think he goes to a team with a great QB poised for a deep playoff run and he deserves that. But on paper that secondary would be incredible, and ideally we would have a safety drafted on Day 2 ready to replace him. If you have those three CBs, I don’t think you should gamble on a strong safety in 2021 if you can help it. Defense could really be be great. 

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m hoping there’s a chance Kareem sees Justin get the money the entire locker room has been waiting him to get, sees the talent in that CB room and swallows a little pride to play in a great secondary for 5-6 million. I don’t think it’s likely and ultimately I think he goes to a team with a great QB poised for a deep playoff run and he deserves that. But on paper that secondary would be incredible, and ideally we would have a safety drafted on Day 2 ready to replace him. If you have those three CBs, I don’t think you should gamble on a strong safety in

2021 if you can help it. Defense could really be be great. 

Yeah, I actually think if Fuller comes on board, it's piggy-backed with Jackson returning - because he's likely to rebuild value for an insane 2022 offseason with so much extra cap room.  

Allbright said we'd enjoy the next couple of days - that means at least 2, if not 3 moves are coming.  I agree the Simmons extension is likely - because it also gives us more cap wiggle room to get Fuller, Jackson (who I think takes a lesser deal like you said, but maybe with incentives to make it up if he's amazing - and if not, he's at value).

If Simmons extends, his cap number likely goes down 5-6M...and that's the money we use for a Jackson-type re-sign.   We can easily fit Fuller's 14M....and then still have 15M left.    I would rather we not throw the $ away on guys with no long-term future, but a 1/5-6M deal for Jackson is impossible to argue with.

Fuller is the key, though.  Allbright's tweet has me excited - because Simmons extension / Jackson returning is not that newsworthy - but Fuller being our #1 CB is definitely that type of news.   And "couple of days" means there's more than 1 move coming - where Simmons/Jackson (or both come).  But Fuller is the big fish landing.

Edited by Broncofan