Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

39 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Darnold would win a competition vs Lock in a landslide.  Adding him wouldn’t be for competition, it’s to be the outright starter from day 1.  Honestly, Watson is my #1 choice.  Darnold my #2, and Mac Jones in the draft #3.  

Minshew would be a nice backup to any of them though, including Lock.  He’s a solid player.  Bubby Brister type.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Darnold would win a competition vs Lock in a landslide.  Adding him wouldn’t be for competition, it’s to be the outright starter from day 1.  Honestly, Watson is my #1 choice.  Darnold my #2, and Mac Jones in the draft #3.  

Minshew would be a nice backup to any of them though, including Lock.  He’s a solid player.  Bubby Brister type.

Will say.  Allbright has some connections, but he’s a straight POS to the highest degree. 

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It doesn’t eliminate the most likely candidate yet - but Dolphins signing Brissett is a move you make if you are committing to Tua or a rookie Rd1.   Not if you are targeting Watson.   

Still a white whale outcome but that signing is an interesting turn of events.  

I still think there’s more than 50% chance that the Texans don’t trade Watson and play hardball. They’ll try and get him to talk to them and report eventually. The Taylor signing is cover for if he holds out.

If they do go ahead and trade him they’ll send him to whoever offers the most draft capital (I know he has a no trade clause, but he’s so desperate to get out of there that I genuinely can’t see him vetoing any destination he is offered). We don’t have the draft capital to compete with the Jets, for example. I could even see Carolina selling the farm to get him. We have the same draft capital as them but a bidding war could get silly. 

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Don’t really understand why the Jags would trade Minshew tbh. He’s the perfect backup for Trevor Lawrence.

Darnold is the clear choice out of the trade targets IMO and Trubisky as a FA. Both high upside plays that we could easily get out of after 1 season if they don’t work out. Both would benefit from a change of scenery and neither would preclude us from starting Lock (I personally agree with you that Darnold > Lock. I’d actually rank then Darnold > Lock > Trubisky) but if it’s Lock plus one of those guys then I think it’s a pretty fair competition.

Darnold and Trubisky both fit that mould of former top 10 picks coming off a poor year or two but who have shown previous flashes that they have what it takes to do well in the NFL, only to be let down by injuries, poor coaching and other factors. The last guy in that position was Ryan Tannehill who is now widely thought of as a very good top 10 QB.

I’m not saying either of those guys are the next Ryan Tannehill, but I’m saying that either could be a low cost, high upside play that would make sense to pair with Drew Lock in 2021. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I still think there’s more than 50% chance that the Texans don’t trade Watson and play hardball. They’ll try and get him to talk to them and report eventually. The Taylor signing is cover for if he holds out.

If they do go ahead and trade him they’ll send him to whoever offers the most draft capital (I know he has a no trade clause, but he’s so desperate to get out of there that I genuinely can’t see him vetoing any destination he is offered). We don’t have the draft capital to compete with the Jets, for example. I could even see Carolina selling the farm to get him. We have the same draft capital as them but a bidding war could get silly. 

Watson’s no trade clause won’t let Houston send him to any team.   That’s part of the stare down.  And we are 1 of 4 teams Watson’s camp is OK with.    No guarantees and like you said other teams have us outgunned for this draft.    But it’s not all on Houston’s FO leverage wise.  

Houston signing Tyrod Taylor to a contract with incentives that escalate all the way to 12M shows they recognize life without Watson is very likely.   It sure isn’t a given it’s us but the outcome of a departure is just a matter of when, not if. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

He used to post on here years ago and was always pleasant. 

Life posting on social media and dealing with trolls has worn on him.   He’s developed a really thin skin online.   He’s still a goood source of info but @germ-x’a impression is earned from his frequent online spats. 

I’m somewhat surprised Denver went after 2 outright starting CBS.  Ojumedia had his ups and downs, but overall I thought he held his own.  Not perfect by any means, but after QB I think CB is the hardest position in the NFL.

Unless Denver is off Callahan (who I thought when healthy was terrific last year) going after another starter level contract at CB would make Ojumedia the #4 CB.....which isn’t a bad position to be in as I think he on year 2 with a full offseason an average starter at worst.

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Watson’s no trade clause won’t let Houston send him to any team.   That’s part of the stare down.  And we are 1 of 4 teams Watson’s camp is OK with.    No guarantees and like you said other teams have us outgunned for this draft.    But it’s not all on Houston’s FO leverage wise.  

Houston signing Tyrod Taylor to a contract with incentives that escalate all the way to 12M shows they recognize life without Watson is very likely.   It sure isn’t a given it’s us but the outcome of a departure is just a matter of when, not if. 

To this point...

Lot of moving parts and none of this guarantees Denver has the inside track - but Watson’s no trade clause impacts this situation far differently than when the team has all the leverage.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To this point...

Lot of moving parts and none of this guarantees Denver has the inside track - but Watson’s no trade clause impacts this situation far differently than when the team has all the leverage.  

Makes complete sense. Denver has one of the best offenses in the NFL if it had a QB that could play.  Same with SF.  

Even if Denver doesn’t get Watson, I see no way Lock is the starting QB.  What happened offensively in Denver with the talent that unit has is 100% because they didn’t have a capable QB.  

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To this point...

The Texans ultimately have the leverage because they can decide not to trade him.

After all the noise he’s made about wanting out, if the Broncos and Panthers offer pick 8/9, a second rounder and a couple of future firsts, and then the Jets and Dolphins come in with two 2021 firsts, 2021 second, 2022 first and more, the AFC East teams have completely trumped out offer. Then the Texans will go to Deshaun and say “we will honor your wish for a trade but we can’t accept a lesser offer. Go to the Jets or we aren’t trading you”

You need to realise that Watson’s choice isn’t one of selecting which team he’s traded to, it’s one of accepting a trade to whoever’s offer is accepted by Houston or vetoing the trade and staying with the Texans.