Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious, would Duke Dawson be a possibility at safety? I haven't seen much of him but he didn't seem to mind contact.

He's decent in run support - but he's awful in coverage.  And at his size, he doesn't match up well with the Waller's / Kelce's of the world. I don't see it, TBH.

Duke was one of 3 DBs who tore their ACLs in one week last year, the others being Bassey and Toliver. That’s an interesting subplot: all the depth behind Ojemudia is on the mend from December knee injuries. I think they will look to add a nickel corner in the draft. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It really comes down to MG3 being signed, followed by the scheme change.    If we don't sign MG3, and get a 3rd down vet who can pass protect, then we simply decide if we need to draft his successor, and when (which would have been my route, to be clear).   But once MG3 was signed, the die was cast - Lindsay's struggles with the new scheme, and his failure to improve in pass pro and catching, it sealed his fate.

The thing about Lindsay himself that I actually get with why the FO parted ways - the predictability factor.    When you put Lindsay on the field, you telegraph it's a run play.  That's easier to defend.    And if somehow a pass play happens, on teams that do their prep work, the CB or LB assigned to his area probably has the option to blitz and expose his weakness even further. 

Part of Lindsay's early success in the first 2 years was that the book didn't come out nearly as much.    He also thrived way more with the Shanny system, when there was a FB leading the way.   He really had a harder time making reads in Shurmur's system (hitting wrong hole, hesitating, etc.).   That was very apparent with the eye test, and confirmed in many of  @lomaxgrUK's breakdowns (and thx again, much appreciated)

We all love the story, and can root for him, he's earned it - but the rational, impartial analysis shows a lot of justification for this, especially once MG3 was signed.    If we didn't sign MG3, we'd still likely be in the same boat - just next year, not this one. 

FWIW, I agree with you on having the system max out the talents of your best players - but RB is literally the most replaceable position there is.  If the system can't max out your QB/WR who are great talent-wise, terrible decision.    RB doesn't have nearly the same impetus.

Fair points, it’s just irritating. I’m not a fan of Gordon at all, and Lindsay is arguably the most explosive back we’ve had since Portis (albeit Portis was obviously much more talented overall). 

If you look across the league, how many Safeties are converted NFL CBs? i.e they have spent at least two years playing CB in the NFL, then moved to Safety?

I think too many people throw out the idea like it's something that is done often. It's very, very rare. The position is totally different and requires a totally different skillset. People like Kareem Jackson don't come around very often.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would love to move a 5/6 round pick for Fuller, but adding that salary basically closes the door to a legit QB upgrade via trade does it not? Unless we move some serious salary in the deal?

I'm sure there's plenty of ways to restructure deals to create more space.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Idk how Bouye goes for a fourth last year and fuller is expecting to net a 6th? He's a year older but I always liked home better than Bouye.

Honestly at 4th round and lower it’s all a ham sandwich anyway. Fuller is getting cut so anything they get for him is a bonus. 

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Honestly at 4th round and lower it’s all a ham sandwich anyway. Fuller is getting cut so anything they get for him is a bonus. 

I get that I just don't understand what determines value we gave up a 4th for Bouye who's never even been a true number one. A 6th for fuller is a steal .

24 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Idk how Bouye goes for a fourth last year and fuller is expecting to net a 6th? He's a year older but I always liked home better than Bouye.

Because Fuller has 1/14M left in a market where it’s doubtful teams pay more on the market and the Bears must move him.   And it’s public knowledge.   Bouye had a 2/20M deal.   

The final part - the teams that want him other than maybe Indy are under 15M left in cap space.  They can make it work but it just decreases the appetite to spend draft  capital to get him for them.   Fuller is literally a perfect fit for us, so we also value him more than other teams that might only want 1 year at age 29 (forgot he’s that old which does bring some risk - at the border of where I’d like, but there are no signs of decline yet so 1/14M easy to say a big yes).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

And Simmons extension is done:

Before ppl ask if he's worth the $:

-Simmons is a top 3 FS right now, and in his prime

-Most importantly, while he becomes the top paid FS right now - it's not by much, and with the new TV money kicking in next year, the 2022 cap increase will be insane.   Simmons' contract will likely drop to below top 5 by the end of 2022, and likely be out of the top 10 by the end of the guaranteed $ in year 3.

So yes, sign me up.

And yes, excited about the "aren't done, yet" - here comes Fuller!!!!