Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

Initially I was skeptical of getting him at 14m (trade) but warmed up to it. At 9.5m I'm pretty stoked.

This sets our defense up so well. If we manage to bring Kareem back, our secondary went from a huge question mark to suddenly the strength of our defense. Not only that, but we're no longer married to taking Surtain/Farley with our R1 pick (not that we were before necessarily but given value/need, it just looked likely to align that way).

I think if we could have drawn up a perfect free agency period, it would have gone something like this. Resigning Shelby, long term for Simmons and grabbing one of the top CB on the market (and not breaking the bank for him). Adding Fuller on top is just... *chef's kiss*

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Okay the Simmons savings come out to even more than I accounted for when I argued they could get Fuller at 14 and bring back Jackson. Now they REALLY have the space for Kareem. Bring him home!

At this market it won’t be hard.  1 year 5-6M with incentives to get up to 7/8M.  

The other part - we don’t need to take anyone specifically at 1.9.   We can move back to NE / CHI / NO - and pick up major 2022 draft capital for a big trade post draft.    Yup, Watson - but we’d be one the draft capital leaders.   And we’d be able to address EDGE / ILB (Collins) / RT with any of those picks at BPA later in Rd1.  

I’ll say it again - the offseason couldn’t have gone any better so far.  Paton is killing it so far.    Let’s get Kareem Jackson back and then we wait for the draft.   Build up the QB market so we stock up with 2022 early picks.   And then wait again. 

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

At this market it won’t be hard.  1 year 5-6M with incentives to get up to 7/8M.  

The other part - we don’t need to take anyone specifically at 1.9.   We can move back to NE / CHI / NO - and pick up major 2022 draft capital for a big trade post draft.    Yup, Watson - but we’d be one the draft capital leaders.   And we’d be able to address EDGE / ILB (Collins) / RT with any of those picks at BPA later in Rd1.  

I’ll say it again - the offseason couldn’t have gone any better so far.  Paton is killing it so far.    Let’s get Kareem Jackson back and then we wait for the draft.   Build up the QB market so we stock up with 2022 early picks.   And then wait again. 

Is this what Albright said? You’ve been quoting him as if he’s gospel for the last week so I have to double check. Have you DM’d him to ask? 

In all seriousness, I do agree with the sentiment. Paton has done a nice job and, as I’ve said for a while now, he’s being smart playing the long game. The radio shock jocks and Twitter morons don’t get it but - when your QB and entire coaching staff are question marks and your team is <9 months from being sold - it’s wise to make sure you have ammo for next year and the year following. 

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Is this what Albright said? You’ve been quoting him as if he’s gospel for the last week so I have to double check. Have you DM’d him to ask? 

In all seriousness, I do agree with the sentiment. Paton has done a nice job and, as I’ve said for a while now, he’s being smart playing the long game. The radio shock jocks and Twitter morons don’t get it but - when your QB and entire coaching staff are question marks and your team is <9 months from being sold - it’s wise to make sure you have ammo for next year and the year following. 

Allbright's been pushing for some time now that the move to look for is a trade back -  it's not that hard to find....

With his signature tone as well lol....he's such a solid source of info, but that thin skin lol....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Allbright's been pushing for some time now that the move to look for is a trade back -  it's not that hard to find....

With his signature tone as well lol....he's such a solid source of info, but that thin skin lol....

Trade back get DL depth, RT, and ILB... I'm down with that. And I guess you roll with Lock and Rypien 

13 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Trade back get DL depth, RT, and ILB... I'm down with that. And I guess you roll with Lock and Rypien 

Both Allbright & Renck have been consistent Paton will bring someone else to compete.   Renck has been more speculative on rookie Rd1, mirroring Paton’s public statements.   Allbright & Renck (new for Allbright as of last weekend) confirmed Paton would make a strong bid for Watson if he became available - now obviously all is on hold there for now.    The national reporters note Denver & other teams (SF, CAR, usual guys) remain interested but all on hold until the investigations complete. 

Allbright has pointed to Darnold / Minshew / Foles as possibilities now.    Renck left all options open - both guys point to someone else coming in to compete (or if it’s a Rd1 rookie or Watson - it’s to replace, obviously - later on with the rookie).  

Edited by Broncofan

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Both Allbright & Renck have been consistent Paton will bring someone else to compete.   Renck has been more speculative on rookie Rd1, mirroring Paton’s public statements.   Allbright & Renck (new for Allbright as of last weekend) confirmed Paton would make a strong bid for Watson if he became available - now obviously all is on hold there for now.    The national reporters note Denver & other teams (SF, CAR, usual guys) remain interested but all on hold until the investigations complete. 

Allbright has pointed to Darnold / Minshew / Foles as possibilities now.    Renck left all options open - both guys point to someone else coming in to compete (or if it’s a Rd1 rookie or Watson - it’s to replace, obviously - later on with the rookie).  

I'd pick up Darnold because he has just as much to prove as Lock does and has the same kind of ceiling. Which I think breeds true competition.

I would be out on Watson. There is too much there... Unless this is a royal frame job for wanting out of Houston, then he did something wrong in a big way. 

• Like 1

Literally all of this is for not unless Paton gets a QB.  I like Darnold not as competition, but the outright starter.  Watson is off the table now with the potential legal issues.  Minshew/Foles are competition signings.

Darnold or a QB at #9 is making moves to win now and long term. 

On the Foles front, his roster bonus was paid by the Bears yesterday which I suspect is what teams are waiting on. So if the Broncos want him to be the backup, he’ll cost about 1 million dollars this year with only 1 million dollars guaranteed next year. You could not get a vet backup any cheaper and you can dump him any time if plans rapidly change with Watson or the draft. 

• Like 2

At this point, assuming Watson isnt an option, this is what I hope happens:

Resign Kareem Jackson 1Y / 5-6M

DEN 1.09 for JAX 1.19 + 2022 1st

Trade 3.71 + Conditional 2022 Pick for QB Sam Darnold

1.19 - Zaven Collins LB/EDGE

2.40 - Javonte Williams RB

Have not gotten deep enough to mock rounds past 3, but ideally you get a developmental S + OL Depth + DL Depth in the later rounds. 

Gives us a QB comp in 2021, ideally one of them shows out and we can use the extra R1 as we please in 2022. If neither do, we have the fallback option for 2022 of packaging our 2 R1 picks to get up for a QB. Like the bet hedging. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

At this point, assuming Watson isnt an option, this is what I hope happens:

Resign Kareem Jackson 1Y / 5-6M

DEN 1.09 for JAX 1.19 + 2022 1st

Trade 3.71 + Conditional 2022 Pick for QB Sam Darnold

1.19 - Zaven Collins LB/EDGE

2.40 - Javonte Williams RB

Have not gotten deep enough to mock rounds past 3, but ideally you get a developmental S + OL Depth + DL Depth in the later rounds. 

Gives us a QB comp in 2021, ideally one of them shows out and we can use the extra R1 as we please in 2022. If neither do, we have the fallback option for 2022 of packaging our 2 R1 picks to get up for a QB. Like the bet hedging. 

Washington owns that pick. Which yes I can see them trading up for QB still.