Sean Desai Hired as DC

Madmike90

• 2 months later...

As much as we have no idea how good Desai is going to be as at scheming or calling plays one thing is for sure and that is that he will bring more energy to the role than Pagano or Fangio did...his interview on the Bears website so a guy who is fired up to be there and confident he can take the defence on...that energy will be really important over the next couple of seasons where this defence will undoubtedly have to get younger...

It is a big move for Nagy to trust his defence to a guy who has never been a DC before considering how hands off he is with the defence but he sounds like he is ready for the challenge. 

Let's not overlook the fact that we also hired Mike Pettine whose been the Packers DC for the past 3 years.  He has a pretty impressive resume himself.

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/mike-pettine

Biography

Mike Pettine was named senior defensive assistant on Feb. 10, 2021. He joins Sean Desai's defensive staff after spending the previous three seasons as the defensive coordinator in Green Bay. He also previously served as defensive coordinator with the Bills (2013) and Jets (2009-12) and was head coach of the Browns for two seasons from 2014-15. He has a total of 17 seasons as a coach in the NFL after spending his first seven seasons in the NFL with the Ravens (2002-08), serving as the outside linebackers coach for the final four seasons. Pettine also worked as a consultant for the Seahawks in 2017.

In 2020, Pettine helped the Packers to the NFC championship game, leading a defense that ranked No. 7 in the NFL in passing yards allowed (221.2) and No. 9 in total yards allowed (334.0). The Packers also ranked third in fewest plays allowed of 20+ yards, No. 8 in red zone scoring efficiency and tied for 10th in sacks (41). Following the season, edge rusher Za'Darius Smith and cornerback Jaire Alexander were named second team All-Pro.

In 2019, Pettine guided a defense that ranked No. 9 in points allowed (19.6 ppg), the first time the Packers had finished in the top 10 in the NFL in the category since 2010 (15.6 ppg, No. 2). It marked Green Bay's biggest one year improvement in scoring defense (5.4-point decrease from 2018) since 1996 (13.1 ppg after allowing 19.6 ppg in 1995). Green Bay also ranked in the top 10 in the league in '19 in interceptions (17, t-No. 3), takeaways (25, t No. 7) and opponent passer rating (81.1, No. 6). The Packers were one of only five teams in the NFL to allow fewer than 20 points per game and post 40-plus sacks and 25-plus takeaways last season. Green Bay's defense featured the first duo in team history (since 1982) to post 12-plus sacks each in the same season in LBs Za'Darius Smith (career-high 13.5) and Preston Smith (career-best 12.0).

In his first season with the Packers in 2018, Pettine led a defense that was tied for No. 8 in the league in sacks (44), the most by Green Bay since it posted the same number in 2013. Green Bay's defense featured 16 different players with at least a half-sack last season, the second most in team history (since 1982) behind only the 1987 campaign (strike season) that saw 17 players register a half-sack or more. Pettine guided the Packers to a No. 12 ranking in pass defense (234.5 yards per game) after the team finished No. 23 in the category in 2017. Green Bay's defense also improved to No. 9 in the league in three-and-out percentage (21.9) after checking in at No. 26 in the category in 2017 and No. 8 in the NFL in opponent red-zone scoring percentage (83.9) after ranking No. 32 in '17.

In his first season as Cleveland's head coach in 2014, Pettine led the Browns to their most victories (seven) since 2007 as they led the league in opponent passer rating (74.1) and opponent completion percentage (57.1) and ranked No. 2 in interceptions (21). The Browns engineered four fourth-quarter comebacks on the season, including the largest road comeback in NFL history after the team rallied from a 25-point deficit at Tennessee in Week 4, scoring 26 unanswered points to defeat the Titans, 29-28.

Cleveland's defense made significant improvement in nearly every major defensive statistic that season, including opponent passer rating (No. 16 in 2013 to No. 1 in 2014), takeaways (tied for No. 24 to tied for No. 4), redzone defense (tied for No. 29 to No. 5), points allowed per game (No. 23 to No. 9) and third-down defense (No. 31 to No. 11). After finishing the 2013 campaign with a minus-8 turnover margin, the Browns posted a plus-6 margin in Pettine's first season, the largest increase by Cleveland in 23 years.

The Browns had four players named to the Pro Bowl for the 2014 season, with S Tashaun Gipson, CB Joe Haden, T Joe Thomas and S Donte Whitner all earning selections. It marked the first time in team history that three defensive backs were selected to the Pro Bowl, and it was the first time the Browns had three defensive players named to the all-star game since 1995. Cleveland also had three players selected to the Pro Bowl in 2015, with Thomas, TE Gary Barnidge and C Alex Mack all honored.

Prior to joining the Browns, Pettine spent five seasons as a defensive coordinator in the NFL, helping his units finish in the top 10 in the league in total yards allowed and passing yards allowed in all five seasons. In 2013, he helped the Bills rank No. 2 in the league with a franchise-record 57 sacks as they were the only team in the league to have three players (DE Mario Williams, DT Kyle Williams, DT Marcell Dareus) each register 10-plus sacks. All three players and S Jairus Byrd were selected to the Pro Bowl, with Mario Williams and Byrd also earning second-team All-Pro honors from The Associated Press. Pettine also oversaw the development of LB Kiko Alonso, who was named the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year by the Professional Football Writers of America after leading the team with a career-high 159 tackles, two sacks and four interceptions.

Under Pettine's direction, Buffalo ranked No. 1 in the NFL in 2013 in opponent completion percentage (55.3), No. 2 in interceptions (23), No. 3 in opponent passer rating (74.9), No. 4 in passing yards allowed (204.4 ypg) and tied for No. 6 in takeaways (30). The Bills finished No. 10 in the league in total defense (333.4 ypg) in 2013 after finishing No. 22 (362.9 ypg) in 2012.

During Pettine's four seasons with the Jets (2009-12), the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL over that span in opponent passer rating (71.0), opponent completion percentage (52.6) and passing yards allowed (186.3 ypg), No. 2 in total yards allowed (294.8 ypg) and third-down defense (34.6 percent), and No. 7 in points allowed (20.0 ppg) and takeaways (115).

In 2012, Pettine helped the Jets rank No. 2 in the league in passing yards allowed (189.8 ypg) and opponent completion percentage (53.8), No. 6 in yards per attempt (6.49) and No. 7 in opponent passer rating (78.2). Two members of New York's secondary were selected to the Pro Bowl (CB Antonio Cromartie, S LaRon Landry), with Landry earning Pro Bowl honors for the first time in his career.

In 2011, Pettine guided New York to a No. 3 ranking in opponent passer rating (69.6) as the Jets also finished No. 4 in the NFL in opponent completion percentage (54.2) and No. 6 in yards per attempt (6.73). The Jets were tied for No. 5 in the league with 31 takeaways, marking the third straight season under Pettine that the team forced 30-plus turnovers as the Jets joined the Packers as the only two teams in the league to do so from 2009-11.

Pettine helped the Jets rank No. 1 in the league in opponent completion percentage (50.7) and No. 3 in total yards allowed (291.5 ypg) in 2010 as New York advanced to the AFC Championship Game, highlighted by road wins at Indianapolis and New England in the playoffs. New York's defense also ranked No. 3 in the league that season in rushing yards allowed (90.9 ypg) and yards allowed per carry (3.56).

Pettine made an immediate impact in his first season with the Jets in 2009, guiding the defense to No. 1 overall rankings in total yards allowed (252.3), passing yards allowed (153.7 ypg) and points allowed (14.8 ppg). The average of 14.8 points allowed per game set a franchise single-season record, while the average of 252.3 yards allowed per game was the second-best mark in team history (240.2 ypg in 1968). Pettine's defense gave up 10 or fewer points a league-high seven times in '09, which also set a franchise single-season record. His defense allowed a franchise-low eight passing TDs on the season, the fewest given up by an NFL team in a 16-game season to that point. The Jets also led the league in opponent passer rating (58.8) – the best mark posted by an NFL team since the 2003 Patriots (56.2) – and opponent completion percentage (51.7).

Cornerback Darrelle Revis earned first-team AP All-Pro honors and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2009-11 under Pettine's guidance, the lone cornerback in the league to receive first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowl recognition in each of those seasons. Revis posted career highs in interceptions (six) and passes defensed (34) in 2009, finishing as the runnerup in AP Defensive Player of the Year voting to Packers CB Charles Woodson.

Prior to joining the Jets, Pettine spent seven seasons (2002-08) with the Baltimore Ravens, serving as the outside linebackers coach for the final four seasons. He helped Baltimore's defense rank No. 2 in total yards allowed in 2008 No. 6 in 2007, No. 1 in 2006 and No. 5 in 2005. The Ravens were tied for No. 5 in the NFL from 2005-08 with 168 sacks, including a franchise-record 60 in '06. In 2008, LB Terrell Suggs earned Pro Bowl honors after registering eight sacks and a career-high two INTs returned for touchdowns. Suggs and LB Adalius Thomas both earned Pro Bowl recognition under Pettine's direction in 2006, with Thomas recording a career-high 11 sacks as he finished tied for No. 3 among NFL linebackers. Pettine joined the Ravens in 2002, serving as a coaching and video assistant that first season before working as a coaching assistant/quality control coach in 2003 and a defensive assistant in 2004.

Prior to joining the NFL coaching ranks, Pettine was the head coach at North Penn High School (Lansdale, Pa.) from 1997-2001. He led the school to 45 wins in five seasons, including an 11-2 record in 1999. Pettine also served as the head coach at William Tennent High School (Warminster, Pa.) in 1995-96, taking over a team that had won three games total in the previous three seasons. He led the team to five wins in his first season and a school-record nine victories in 1996. Pettine also spent two seasons coaching at the college level, serving as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh in 1993-94.

Pettine began his coaching career as an assistant to his father, Mike Sr., at Central Bucks West High School in Doylestown, Pa., for five seasons (1988-92). Mike Sr., who coached 33 seasons at the school, retired after the 1999 campaign as the winningest coach in the history of Pennsylvania high school football with a career record of 326-42-4 (.882). Pettine played for his father and earned all-state honors at quarterback and defensive back.

Pettine was a two-year letterman (1986-87) as a free safety at the University of Virginia, leading the team with five interceptions in 1986 and tying the single-game school record for INTs with three vs. North Carolina State that season. He graduated with a degree in economics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Pettine didn't get the Pack's D where they wanted, but they overall made significant improvement under him. Hopefully he helps us while Joe Barry flops as many of us expect.

I have no idea why Barry keeps getting jobs 😂

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Pettine didn't get the Pack's D where they wanted, but they overall made significant improvement under him. Hopefully he helps us while Joe Barry flops as many of us expect.

Well he sure as hell knew just what to do to make Mitch Trubisky look just like Rex Grossman in one game.

A very long time ago I remember watching the Bears bury the Packers something like 61-7 on a Monday night game.  I remember it well because my significant other at the time was a huge Packer fan and it was really tough to rein in my glee.....in fact I couldn't and she was pissed.

Just once more before I die I want to see the Bears give Green Bay another *** whooping like that.  😁

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 8:31 AM, soulman said:

A very long time ago I remember watching the Bears bury the Packers something like 61-7 on a Monday night game.  I remember it well because my significant other at the time was a huge Packer fan and it was really tough to rein in my glee.....in fact I couldn't and she was pissed.

I got to go to the game against the Packers where Buthead made his first 52 yd fieldgoal to win the game and my father in law, who was a huge Packers fan, I just bearly managed to limit myself to a huge cheshire cat grin to keep the peace with my wife😁

• Like 1