How does Tyreek Hill speed compare to Desean Jackson

mdonnelly21

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tyreek Hill faster than DeSean Jackson

He is 100% quicker than Jackson. DJax didn't have anywhere near the change of direction or burst that Hill has.

Top speed running down a 50 yard pass? I don't know, might be a little close there. Hill has the 40 time beat but when DJax turned on that 2nd gear he'd just glide past defenders and instantly create several yards of separation. Hill does the same, but if he's faster I can't imagine it being by a significant amount just going off the eye test...

..but we have some data now in form of NextGenStat top speed measurements. Unfortunately only around since 2016, so we miss DJax's prime, but Hill's highest speed to date is 22.6 MPH (running down the field w/ RB). A 30 year old DeSean matched that 22.6 vs Cardinals in week 13 of 2016 (tracking and catching a deep ball). Now this stat doesn't prove DJax is as fast, or that he would be faster in his prime, but it shows it's certainly a discussion. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He is 100% quicker than Jackson. DJax didn't have anywhere near the change of direction or burst that Hill has.

Top speed running down a 50 yard pass? I don't know, might be a little close there. Hill has the 40 time beat but when DJax turned on that 2nd gear he'd just glide past defenders and instantly create several yards of separation. Hill does the same, but if he's faster I can't imagine it being by a significant amount just going off the eye test...

..but we have some data now in form of NextGenStat top speed measurements. Unfortunately only around since 2016, so we miss DJax's prime, but Hill's highest speed to date is 22.6 MPH (running down the field w/ RB). A 30 year old DeSean matched that 22.6 vs Cardinals in week 13 of 2016 (tracking and catching a deep ball). Now this stat doesn't prove DJax is as fast, or that he would be faster in his prime, but it shows it's certainly a discussion. 

Hill is quicker and faster. Hill ran some ridiculous track times in the 100m and 200m with times of 10.19 and 20.14 coming out of high school. Those times at that age are elite and he likely could have been one of the few NFL players to have the speed to compete with some of the best sprinters in the United States had he stuck with track. In regards to MPH, Hill has gone over 22.6 multiple times including hitting 23.24 MPH on a kick return.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/watch-the-nfls-10-fastest-plays-of-2016-including-tyreek-hills-23-mph-sprint-012617  

Edited by tyler735

Only guys that I can recall that are slightly faster than Hill (straight line top end speed) in the last 10-15 years are Jacoby Ford, and Trindon Holliday. Not counting Jeff Demps as he only had like 10 total NFL touches, but the guy could absolutely fly at Florida. These guys all had legit world class speed.

What makes Hill so special is he has that elite speed (maybe just a tick slower than the aforementioned guys above), but also is so fluid in his movements, he doesn't lose much speed when making cuts and accelerates extremely well out of his cuts. A guy like Jacoby Ford wasn't all that impressive with his lateral movements, but once he got a chance to accelerate in a straight line in the open, he was gone, which obviously limited his effectiveness quite a bit.

Crazy to see the distance he would put between him and the pursuing defenders when he was able to hit full speed.

• Like 2

A race is far from perfect. Just because player A beats player B in a "single" race doesn't mean they win every time. A bad start could effect the race significantly, one guy might not be a 100% that day for whatever reason. For me, I'll take the collective data of personal best times in 100m, MPH, and 40 yard times to draw the best conclusions I can.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would only compare Hill to Mike Wallace in terms of straight line speed, but in terms of all-around speed/quickness/agility, I think Tyreek is the best the NFL has ever seen.

I agree with this and there's a large chance Tyreek has the best all around combo of those traits in the world *with full pads/on a football field. Hard to see anyone else replicating what he does against the other athletes he does it to. 

26 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Steve Smith was really good

He was very good.

But if you put him next to Hill I think you’d see a gap by the end of the race.

Think most of the guys who aren’t pure track players are closer to Mecole than they are Hill, and we saw that race go down already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

He was very good.

But if you put him next to Hill I think you’d see a gap by the end of the race.

Think most of the guys who aren’t pure track players are closer to Mecole than they are Hill, and we saw that race go down already.

Give Steve Smith Mahomes and watch him look even beastlier. He never had an elite QB his entire career, topping out at Joe Flaaco, and prime Jake Delhomme. 

Guys like Smith and Tyreek are a whole different breed. What’s funny is Mecole raced Tyreek and Tyreek won by a yard.