2021 Detroit Lions Starting QB

Millenhater

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't see that happening. The team wasn't losing because of QB play. It was everything else surrounding it. 

yes. no pass rush. no depth at WR or CB. LB core looking horrid. O line needs work. swift is good but cant do it alone in that backfield. need a 2nd TE. 

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

yes. no pass rush. no depth at WR or CB. LB core looking horrid. O line needs work. swift is good but cant do it alone in that backfield. need a 2nd TE. 

We basically have to do a complete overhaul in the front seven. Our CB's will develop although we could probably use another piece. We need to put Walker back at FS and get someone to shoulder the load at SS. That's at least 8 guys on the defense. 

RT, multiple WR's. At least 3 other guys. 11/22 starters need to be replaced let alone depth. 

Selling out the farm to land Deshaun just feels like the complete opposite of what this team needs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

We basically have to do a complete overhaul in the front seven. Our CB's will develop although we could probably use another piece. We need to put Walker back at FS and get someone to shoulder the load at SS. That's at least 8 guys on the defense. 

RT, multiple WR's. At least 3 other guys. 11/22 starters need to be replaced let alone depth. 

Selling out the farm to land Deshaun just feels like the complete opposite of what this team needs. 

i agree. thats why im open to trade down. also down to trade some guys like vatai for whatever they can get....id take anything...

37 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

why? even if we have mahomes...toooo many pieces need to be fixed...

The same situation applies to many teams he is linked too Jets, Miami etc. It all comes down to price. I am not saying they should do it (everyone has a different take on Watson and his value) or that it is definitely going to happen. I am just saying don't be surprised if the Lions are in the discussion. They have no vested interest in Goff.  No heir apparent they are working on,  which means they are likely spending a pick on a QB anyway. Plus it moves him out of the AFC. The talking heads keep saying this is a 2 horse race between Miami and the Jets as to who can put a package together to get him, I think the Lions are now a legitimate possibility as well.

Just for discussion sake, you think about it they give up 2 firsts, and the Rams 2 firsts and the 3rd. They basically trade 2 first round picks and Matt Stafford for Watson. That's a pretty baller move and will energize the fan base. 

Regardless of whether they should or shouldn't, I think it is a viable theory that they will be in the discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

The same situation applies to many teams he is linked too Jets, Miami etc. It all comes down to price. I am not saying they should do it (everyone has a different take on Watson and his value) or that it is definitely going to happen. I am just saying don't be surprised if the Lions are in the discussion. They have no vested interest in Goff.  No heir apparent they are working on,  which means they are likely spending a pick on a QB anyway. Plus it moves him out of the AFC. The talking heads keep saying this is a 2 horse race between Miami and the Jets as to who can put a package together to get him, I think the Lions are now a legitimate possibility as well.

Just for discussion sake, you think about it they give up 2 firsts, and the Rams 2 firsts and the 3rd. They basically trade 2 first round picks and Matt Stafford for Watson. That's a pretty baller move and will energize the fan base. 

Regardless of whether they should or shouldn't, I think it is a viable theory that they will be in the discussion. 

I would not be happy if we give up 4 1st round picks and a 3rd for Watson.  I would be willing to move the Rams 1sts and maybe 7 but any more than that and we are in a worse spot than we were with Stafford.  

2 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

So let's say that the Lions trade

- 2021 1st (#7)

- 2022 1st (Lions, likely a top 10)

- 2022 1st (Rams, likely in the 20's)

- 2023 1st (Lions, at least in the top half)

+ Goff (probably have to eat $15M of his cap hit to make that work)

We'd have

- Deshaun Watson

- 2021 3rd (Rams)

- No 1st round pick in 2022

- 1 first round pick in 2023

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would not be happy if we give up 4 1st round picks and a 3rd for Watson.  I would be willing to move the Rams 1sts and maybe 7 but any more than that and we are in a worse spot than we were with Stafford.  

Agreed. The team is comparably worse than it is in Houston. You make that move if you have excess picks/cap space, which would allow you to add him without significantly cutting your future out. Deshaun in New York suddenly turns that franchise around, they have an abundance of picks, Darnold will help soften the blow and they have $60M+ to add guys in FA to help offset the loss of high draft picks. Miami has done a nice job in turning things around with their talent. Decent cap space, a young QB in Tua to turn around and soften the blow, etc. 

Keep in mind, Deshaun also has to want to go where he's going to be traded. He's just watched Matt Stafford ask to be traded after 12 years of not being successful. While we are leaning more towards optimism and recognize that SFH has taken steps forward that her parents did not take, the organization is still not viewed in a positive light. Until we start adding some talent and stringing W's together, the outside perception will stand. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

- 2021 1st (#7)

We'd have

- Deshaun Watson

- 2021 3rd (Rams)

Looking at this another way, and before the Lions/Rams deal, you'd essentially be trading:

Matthew Stafford
2021 1st Round Pick
2022 1st Round Pick

for

Deshaun Watson

If you think Watson is a legitimate franchise QB, it's not a bad deal. I have my reservations about Watson, so I'd probably take the Rams deal instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Looking at this another way, and before the Lions/Rams deal, you'd essentially be trading:

Matthew Stafford
2021 1st Round Pick
2022 1st Round Pick

for

Deshaun Watson

If you think Watson is a legitimate franchise QB, it's not a bad deal. I have my reservations about Watson, so I'd probably take the Rams deal instead.

Exactly, if the organization views Watson as a legitimate franchise QB it isn't a bad deal, which is why I won't be surprised if they are in the trade discussions. Regardless I found the idea interesting. Whatever they decide to do, I think Dan Campbell was a great hire and will get a lot out of his players but if he isn't searching for a franchise QB that will make his job all the easier. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Exactly, if the organization views Watson as a legitimate franchise QB it isn't a bad deal, which is why I won't be surprised if they are in the trade discussions. Regardless I found the idea interesting. Whatever they decide to do, I think Dan Campbell was a great hire and will get a lot out of his players but if he isn't searching for a franchise QB that will make his job all the easier. 

This is very true. If you don't have a franchise QB, you spend your time looking for a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

I'd rather build the team up and then go plug and play a guy when they'll be surrounded by a good foundation. We spent the last 12 years with a franchise QB and struggled to put the pieces around him. Look at the Bucs this year. They have a really strong base, add in Brady, a few other guys come in and now they're in the SB. 

When you are in that position, then you can give up some of these big picks, plug them in and compete for titles. Until we have the foundation in place, it'd be a waste of picks and we'd be set back yet again. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

- 2021 1st (#7)

We'd have

- Deshaun Watson

- 2021 3rd (Rams)

That is gross.  I do not feel any one player is worth that.  I just dont .

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

That is gross.  I do not feel any one player is worth that.  I just dont .

If we are built like the Indianapolis Colts and the opportunity is there (AFC South is far from a lock for the Titans), I wouldn't be opposed to making that kind of trade. You have everything else really in place, you have cap room to sign FA's and you can take that next step to win the division and potentially a Super Bowl. With a guy like Brad Holmes, you bank on the fact that you can find guys in the middle rounds to be your next key guys. 

With the way that our roster is set now, I just don't see the point in sacrificing all of those picks. 

4 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

stop it miami defence is really good...and weapons...jets are trash. but they have that #2 pick. no player is worth multiple 1st...cant believe rams did for stafford. ive been waiting for this offseason for like 10 years...