Is there a growing bias against OCs who worked with elite QBs in HC hiring?

Apparition

Just now, FrantikRam said:

Sure.

Another possibility is that he's not good at interviewing for these jobs.

Just pointing out that LaFleur made the right move to take a true OC job and if EB is looking for a path to being a HC, that is what I would do

I do agree that it could be a benefit to someone like that, generally speaking. For the other Lafleur, this move to the Jets is the right play if he ever wants to move on in his career as well. It was always going to be hard to divorce him from Shanny with regards to what the niners do offensively. He needs to show that he's got his own game. 

• Like 1

Bienemy has a few things going against him. He doesn’t call plays; Dougie P/Nagy got that opportunity because Alex Smith/Reid would always falter down the stretch. Chiefs have gone to the SB the last couple years, teams rarely wait till after the SB to make a hire. 

Obviously his past run-ins with the law don’t look good either. there are other reasons I won’t discuss here.

To answer the question I agree with you, it’s not like Byron Leftwich got a job either. Or whoever the OC for the Packers is. Or Daboll even. Brian Schotty got fired. Etc.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do agree that it could be a benefit to someone like that, generally speaking. For the other Lafleur, this move to the Jets is the right play if he ever wants to move on in his career as well. It was always going to be hard to divorce him from Shanny with regards to what the niners do offensively. He needs to show that he's got his own game. 

I also wonder if a coach with a rap sheet like this has ever been hired? Especially more recently. The parking attendant issue would probably be the one to prevent him from getting hired.

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I also wonder if a coach with a rap sheet like this has ever been hired? Especially more recently. The parking attendant issue would probably be the one to prevent him from getting hired.

This long? I'm thinking no. I do think that Vrabel had some sort of run in with the law at some point maybe, though? I may be misremembering that though. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is, we don't know why EB isn't getting these jobs. I don't think that it's all about playcalling...I mean, has Dan Campbell ever called plays? Sirianni? I don't think they have. There's more going on here all around. Its much bigger than just a single thing, I believe. 

Mixture of his past, possibly things teams notice in interviews, and the biggest likely, the fact he works as an OC under one the best offensive HCs.

I am not big on the Bienemy HC train like others are. If my team was looking for a HC, I wouldn’t be clamoring for him. To be honest, I am not exactly sure why he has been so talked about. Do people think he’s played a huge role in Maholmes success? The Chiefs overall offense? I don’t know but it’s not like people were coveting the Saints OC any of these years.

Edited by RUGmen

I think teams are generally going for the person/coach over resume. Resume wise, guys like Flores, Kingsbury, Taylor, Judge, Culley, and Campbell don’t compare to a Bienemy. 

But don’t think having an elite/great QB helps either. You’ll get more credit for making a mediocre guy look good/great than you would having an elite QB lead an elite offense, and rightfully so. It just...makes sense.

7 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Sure.

Another possibility is that he's not good at interviewing for these jobs.

Just pointing out that LaFleur made the right move to take a true OC job and if EB is looking for a path to being a HC, that is what I would do

Wouldn't surprise me if the chiefs give EB some sort of play calling role. 

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the chiefs give EB some sort of play calling role. 

I mean....maybe? I don't see why they'd do that if they continue to be the best offense in the league under Reid's playcalling (also I don't know if Reid has ever in his career given up playcalling?)

I don't see why they would jeopardize their offensive success in order to help EB score some points for his next gig. 

• Like 1

Bieniemy is a Reid puppet imo. Reid has a big coaching tree but none of his offensive OCs became HCs that produced consistently. Pederson is probably the best and look how he lost control in Philly. Nagy blows, Chilly wasnt special, etc. His best coaches come from the other two facets of the game. 

I'd be wary of any of Reids OCs.