National TV projections 2021

pf9

On 2/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, pf9 said:

Thanksgiving Weekend National TV Games

Fox Thursday: Arizona at Detroit (Cardinals have longest Thanksgiving drought of Lions' home opponents)
CBS Thursday: Denver at Dallas (Broncos have longest Thanksgiving drought of Cowboys' home opponents that are not also playing at Detroit)
NBC Thursday: Jacksonville at LA Rams (Rams have longest Thanksgiving drought of all teams not playing at Detroit or Dallas, and Jaguars have the longest

I know this isn't the point of your post....

But I am once again here to say that Detroit and Dallas on Thanksgiving is stupid. I can't stand these old timers who are so fragile that their "tradition" must hold at the expense of ever having good games

I once again propose that the three games should consist of

1. Previous AFC Super Bowl team at home against their most intriguing matchup
  2. Previous NFC Super Bowl team at home against their most intriguing matchup
  3. Intriguing matchup of league's discretion.. Maybe its trying to get a Lawrence/Burrow matchup. Maybe its Ravens/Browns or Ravens/Steelers. Maybe its Watson goes to Miami and you want Miami/Buffalo. Maybe its Packers/Rams or Packers/Seahawks. 

Point is, year after year we get garbage games because apparently we NEED to see the Lions and Cowboys. It's boring to always have some combination of Dallas/Detroit/Pittsburgh/Green Bay/Chicago/Washington

Give us the best games. Period.

I came up with the scheduling formula for Thanksgiving as a compromise, Detroit and Dallas get to keep their home games, but the remaining teams that play on the holiday each year are generally teams with long Thanksgiving droughts, achieving something of a rotation.

2 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I came up with the scheduling formula for Thanksgiving as a compromise, Detroit and Dallas get to keep their home games, but the remaining teams that play on the holiday each year are generally teams with long Thanksgiving droughts, achieving something of a rotation.

ain't enough

give us the good games

As part of my proposal to limit the amount of primetime games involving NFC East teams, the Jets would host one of their NFC home games (New Orleans or Tampa Bay) during the Giants' bye week, and their other in a week the Giants have a road game cross-flexed to CBS.

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Like, why do you guys make topics like these?  

You really have all the time in the world on your hands.  

How is him wanting to discuss the scheduling any worse of a use of his time than you posting about whatever football subject you want to discuss?

Your football posts aren't any better of a use of time than his, last thing this forum needs is people acting high and mighty about which football posts make the best use of time. We're all on here just wanting to discuss different aspects of the sport.

For as much crap as he gets here, I find his posts on how networks operate/scheduling/etc interesting, even if I don't often agree with his ideas.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, pf9 said:

Given the state of the NFC East last year they should largely cool it with that division in primetime aside from Washington having one each SNF, MNF, TNF as a playoff team last year and the Thanksgiving game at Dallas.

NFC East is the biggest money draw of any Division for primetime.

I would bet my house, that even though the Division was down this year?

You'll see Dallas with at minimum 2 Primetime games. 

Washington will get 1 or 2 being division winners.

And Giants & Eagles will most likely get 1 each at least.

I'll be shocked if that division doesn't have at least 6 Primetime games between all 4 teams.

And I'm betting, It'll be closer to 10.

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

NFC East is the biggest money draw of any Division for primetime.

I would bet my house, that even though the Division was down this year?

You'll see Dallas with at minimum 2 Primetime games. 

Washington will get 1 or 2 being division winners.

And Giants & Eagles will most likely get 1 each at least.

I'll be shocked if that division doesn't have at least 6 Primetime games between all 4 teams.

And I'm betting, It'll be closer to 10.

The Giants and Eagles are also guaranteed a TNF game, as every team is. Beyond that, I don't think they should get any primetime games. Washington would get three national games, one each on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night as the defending division champions. Dallas gets a national TV game on Thanksgiving, though it wouldn't be primetime. So that's 6 non-Sunday afternoon national games the NFC East would get.

And remember, back in 1989 and 1990, as an example, the Cowboys were kept off of MNF because they performed poorly the previous season in each case. They only came back to MNF in 1991 when they came close to being the first team with a losing record to make the playoffs in a full season in 1990 (stopped only by the Saints getting their 8th win on MNF New Year's Eve). We still have yet to see a wild card team have a losing record in a full season (there would have been several instances already in a 16-team playoff bracket).

On 2/9/2021 at 4:59 PM, pf9 said:

The Giants and Eagles are also guaranteed a TNF game, as every team is. Beyond that, I don't think they should get any primetime games. Washington would get three national games, one each on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night as the defending division champions. Dallas gets a national TV game on Thanksgiving, though it wouldn't be primetime. So that's 6 non-Sunday afternoon national games the NFC East would get.

That is, unless the Giants' and Eagles' sole primetime game is a game against each other, which given their poor performances would air on NFL Network exclusively except in NYC and Philly where over-the-air stations (likely the Fox O&Os in those cities) will simulcast the games for people without NFLN.

That would be five national TV games involving the NFC East.

Furthermore, if any games involving NFC East teams are put in the 4:25 DH slot, they should be all against teams that finished with winning records last year, which would include games against the Chiefs, Saints, and Buccaneers, as well as Washington's games at Green Bay and VS. Seattle, and the Giants' game VS. the LA Rams. So, no need to feature an intradivision game from the NFC East as a main 4:25 game this coming season. The games I mentioned will be sufficient for ratings purposes.

Edited by pf9

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Browns vs Ravens should be MNF again. That did fantastic ratings wise and was awesome to watch despite my team losing.

Way ahead of you. I've already stated what I want for Cleveland's primetime appearances, which in case you missed it are:

SNF: at KC, home against CHI, VS. PIT (either one)
MNF: at GB (week 1), VS. BAL (either one)
TNF: home against LV (who has never played a TNF package game against a non-West Division team from either conference)

Edited by pf9

Bills vs Bucs is week 1. 

You know the NFL loves to annoy us with a Garbage NFC East matchup in primetime. Both Cowboys vs Eagles matchups will be in primetime. 

Jacksonville @ Seattle will be a MNF game and Miami vs Jacksonville will be a TNF Game

KC @ LAC will have a Sunday Night Football matchup and their other matchup will be a Monday Night Game at Arrowhead.