Post Super Bowl Mock

squire12

Over the Cap has GB at $28M over the projected cap of $180M

• restructures
    • Rodgers -- gains $13M 
  • Extensions 
    • Adams -- gains $8M (new deal adds 3 years and $56M in new money)
    • Z Smith -- gains $12.4M (new deal adds 2 years and $40M in new money)
  • Cuts
    • Kirksey -- gains $6M
    • Lowry -- gains $3.3M
    • Wagner -- gains $4.25M

Cap space $18.95M

• RFA
    • Tonyan -- 3 year $12M deal with $2M in 2021
  • ERFA
    • Lazard, Nijman, Ento, Ramsey (total of $2.25M)
  • UFA
    • Kevin Johnson -- 2 years $6.5M with $2.5M in 2021
    • Darqueze Dennard -- 1 year $1.5M
    • Roy Robertson Harris -- 2 years $5.0M with $1.5M in 2021
    • Marcades Lewis -- 1 year $2.0M 
  • Rookie pool -- net $3.5M

Cap space $3.7M

Draft

29 -- Jay Tufele  IDL  USC  6'3 315  -- 3 Tech player that offers some options to slide inside in pressure package and possibly to spell Clark at the NT

62 -- Josh Meyers IOL  Ohio State 6'5 312 --  Hope to capture another OSU interior OL and find a C for the next few years.  

92 -- Tariq Thompson S San Diego State  6'0  200 -- 3rd safety and hopefully is a long term replacement for Amos in a few years

135 -- Josh Imatorbhebhe WR  Illinois 6'2 215 -- Big bodied physical WR that GB seems to like.  Developmental player that needs to improve route running.

142 -- Sadarius Hutchinson  IOL South Carolina 6'4 320  -- Developmental player that played both G and OT in college

174 -- Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas 6'0 195 -- WR convert, has noted ball skills with 10 INT and 38 pass break ups

178 -- Bobby Brown  IDL Texas A&M 6'4 315 -- Run stuffer that replaces Lancaster as an inside body on early downs, spells Clark at NT

215 -- Khalil Herbert RB Virginia Tech 5'9 204 -- 1 cut runner that would pair well to Dillon as a #2 RB. Like most college RB, needs pass protection work

221 -- Anthony Hines LB Texas A&M  6'3  230 -- Late round special teams player, best suited as a passing game LB

254 -- Damon Hazelton WR  Missouri  6'2  215 -- Just a simple @ThatJerkDaveselection!!!!!!

STARTER       ERFA RFA UFA
QB Aaron Rodgers Jordan Love     Randy Ramsey Chandon Sullivan Kevin King
RB AJ Dillon Patrick Taylor Khalil Herbert   Kabion Ento Will Redmond Aaron Jones
FB Josiah Deguara       Willington Prevlion Raven Greene Corey Linsley
WR Davante Adams Devin Funchess Damon Hazelton   Anthony Rush Tyler Lancaster Jamaal Williams
WR MVS EQ Josh Imatorbhebhe   Allan Lazard Tim Boyle Lane Taylor
WR Allan Lazard       Malik Taylor Robert Tonyan Tyler Ervin
TE Robert Tonyan Marcedes Lewis Jace Sternberger     Parry Nickerson Montravius Adams
LT David Bahktiari           Marcedes Lewis
LG John Runyan Simon Stepaniak         James Burgess
C Elgton Jenkins Josh Meyers         Tavon Austin
RG Lucas Patrick Sadarius Hutchinson          
RT Billy Turner            
              Cut
  STARTER       UFA   Dean Lowry
LDE Roy Roberston Harris Jay Tufele     Kevin Johnson   Christian Kirksey
NT Kenny Clark Bobby Brown     Darqueze Dennard   Ricky Wagner
RDE Kingsley Keke      
Roy Roberston Harris

WLB Preston Smith Rashan Gary     Marcedes Lewis    
LILB Kamal Martin Oren Burks Curtis Bolton        
RILB Krys Barnes Ty Summers Anthony Hines   29 Jay Tufele IDL
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin     62 Josh Meyers IOL
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson     92 Tariq Thompson S
SS Adrian Amos Tariq Thompson     135 Josh Imatorbhebhe WR
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott     142 Sadarius Hutchinson IOL
RCB Kevin Johnson Ka'dar Hollman     174 Robert Rochell CB
Slot CB Darqueze Dennard Robert Rochell     178 Bobby Brown IDL
          215 Khalil Herbert RB
  STARTER       221 Anthony Hines LB
PK Mason Crosby       254 Damon Hazelton WR
P JK Scott            
H JK Scott            
PR              
KR              
LS Hunter Bradley            
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

What's the OT plan ? 

If Bahk is out on PUP, then Turner and Jenkins would be the OT on D1.  

Bahk being about 9 months removed from ACL surgery, I think he has a legit chance to be ready.   All comes down to how the rehab goes.  

Long term, I think Jenkins has the skillset to play RT and liked the interior IOL options.  

3 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

We need LB speed. And OT depth. WR speed too.

Based on where the salary cap is being projected in the $180-185 range.   GB is going to need to do some work to get under that.   It will mean some players being let go and hopefully getting some players to sign for cheaper deals (likely shorter to get another shot at FA sooner vs later).  

As of now, GB has some holes at CB with only Jaire having seen significant snaps there.   Lots of question marks with  Jackson, Hollman and nothing else.  

I agree on the OT spot, but I feel that Jenkins has the ability to be a RT.   I would be tough to move him from G, but the positional premium of OT might make that a move to make long term.  I think I forgot Nijman in the depth part

I like:

-Figuring a way to keep Preston Smith on the team.  He is an easy money cut, but I think the Packers are a better team with him than without him in 2021.

-Keeping Lewis.  I really like that he is on the team.  He does things that don't get noticed, and I like that.  I really like his ability to block as an about average OL but still threaten teams as a receiver if they don't pay attention.  He gets a first down on most of his receptions, and I like that a lot.

I don't like:

-Emphasis on interior OL.  I think that we have a lot of very good pieces there.  Investing in a second round interior player, he had better be a stud.  You also double dipped at the position.  IMO we don't need any interior help, Patrick and Jenkins will man 2 of the interior 3, and Runyan, Stepaniak and Zack Johnson are very promising players at the guard position.  We should be looking for tackle help.  Jenkins can play tackle, I think he is better suited to guard or center.  This scenario looks to rely on Bakhtiari making the best timeline recovery and Turner at RT.  If Bakhtiari doesn't make his recovery, this then relies on Yosh Nijman or Turner or Jenkins manning the tackle positions.  I am not too comfortable with that.

-Non-Jaire CBs.  I don't know if I trust Johnson or Denard at starter.  Hollman only played 2 games with meaningful snaps last season.  I know that I don't trust Josh Jackson to step up.  I think our situation requires either an early pick, or re-signing King.  I like that you didn't re-sign King, but I think we would be better served with an earlier CB pick.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like:

-Figuring a way to keep Preston Smith on the team.  He is an easy money cut, but I think the Packers are a better team with him than without him in 2021.

The salary cap is going to be interesting in who stays, who goes and what FA might sign for.  Freeing up 8M by releasing Preston is tempting, but that creates another hole.

-Keeping Lewis.  I really like that he is on the team.  He does things that don't get noticed, and I like that.  I really like his ability to block as an about average OL but still threaten teams as a receiver if they don't pay attention.  He gets a first down on most of his receptions, and I like that a lot.

I almost didn't,  but think he will play for pretty cheap.

I don't like:

-Emphasis on interior OL.  I think that we have a lot of very good pieces there.  Investing in a second round interior player, he had better be a stud.  You also double dipped at the position.  IMO we don't need any interior help, Patrick and Jenkins will man 2 of the interior 3, and Runyan, Stepaniak and Zack Johnson are very promising players at the guard position.  We should be looking for tackle help.  Jenkins can play tackle, I think he is better suited to guard or center.  This scenario looks to rely on Bakhtiari making the best timeline recovery and Turner at RT.  If Bakhtiari doesn't make his recovery, this then relies on Yosh Nijman or Turner or Jenkins manning the tackle positions.  I am not too comfortable with that.

Understood. I do think Jenkins can be an OT at a decently high level.  As of now, I feel this draft is better at IOL than OT in the middle rounds.  Salaries Hutchinson did play both G and T in college.  Probably start outside to see if he can play T, but most likely moves inside.  Wagner would be an option to bring back as well.

-Non-Jaire CBs.  I don't know if I trust Johnson or Denard at starter.  Hollman only played 2 games with meaningful snaps last season.  I know that I don't trust Josh Jackson to step up.  I think our situation requires either an early pick, or re-signing King.  I like that you didn't re-sign King, but I think we would be better served with an earlier CB pick.

Understood on the lack of CB behind Jaire....it is scary.  Looked for vets that could step in and play early.  Both Johnson and Denard should be good #2 CB options opposite Jaire.

Don't know much about the players.  Do like the 1st pick/position as they need help on the D line; think OT and CB should be higher after that.  Jenkins is a wonderful player with his versatility being so valuable.  Draft a RT and have the option of Jenkins being a center or staying at guard.  Like picking up some free agents as there will be some decent players available due to cap problems.  GB should have decent draft capital in the 4th/5th rounds this year ... start taking players to help fill holes.  Taking the best available works if no timeline but Rodgers isn't getting any younger.  

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think our situation requires either an early pick, or re-signing King.  I like that you didn't re-sign King, but I think we would be better served with an earlier CB pick.

The problem with that philosophy, though, is you know damn well QBs are just gonna be targeting our rookie CB unless we can somehow find a way to spread Jaire's coverages which Pettine never could do or even tried to do and I don't trust Barry to do that, but hey, maybe all 31 other teams and rival/WFT fanbases are wrong and he was simply hampered by a lack of talent on those squads.

Like what you did with the cap and FA. Think the defense is equal if not a bit better depending on how the draft picks do on the DL.

Not a big fan of the rest of the draft after round 1. Redmond, Scott and Greene are adequate as backup safeties and IOL we just spent 3 picks on last year for depth. 

Needs more help at RB and OT badly IMO. That RB room is awful. If both FAs  go a backup becomes the #1 need on offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Like what you did with the cap and FA. Think the defense is equal if not a bit better depending on how the draft picks do on the DL.

Not a big fan of the rest of the draft after round 1. Redmond, Scott and Greene are adequate as backup safeties and IOL we just spent 3 picks on last year for depth. 

Needs more help at RB and OT badly IMO. That RB room is awful. If both FAs  go a backup becomes the #1 need on offense. 

Main view is i think Jenkins can play OT well and I think this draft is better IOL in the mid-later draft.  If an OT falls, that changes things.  Between Bakhtiari,  Turner and Jenkins, that is 3 OT.  When Bakhtiari is back....and I think he doesn't miss any games, 1 of Turner/Jenkins is inside and the rookies and 2nd year guys plus Patrick compete for the other 2 slots.

With needing to get under the cap, there are going to be holes to fill, and RB is 1 of those spots that gets shorter.

I think a better 3rd safety that allows more versatility in how you play Savage and Amos works.

• Like 1

Like the cap mngt, a lot of good work there.  I think the outside FA unlikely.  Jones is gone, but I believe Williams will be back.  Williams back with Dillon and Herbert (who I believe will go sooner than you have him) would make a great backfield and affordable.  Yes Jenkins can play LT, but with Bak out to start the year very likely we need more help here.  A talented OT to develop and quickly take over for Turner at RT if needed a priority in my book.   

7 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Like the cap mngt, a lot of good work there.  I think the outside FA unlikely.  Jones is gone, but I believe Williams will be back.  Williams back with Dillon and Herbert (who I believe will go sooner than you have him) would make a great backfield and affordable.  Yes Jenkins can play LT, but with Bak out to start the year very likely we need more help here.  A talented OT to develop and quickly take over for Turner at RT if needed a priority in my book.   

I get the concern with Bahktiari coming off the ACL.   He will have 8-9 months to rehab before season opener.  I think that sets up well for him to be ready and not miss time.  

If you say Jenkins can play LT, then he also likely can play RT.   So Bahktiari, Jenkins, Turner are your 3 OT....with 1 of Turner/Jenkins playing inside.  

Cap space is going to be tight, so filling holes at CB, DL became a priority over RB.  

Where players will go in the draft is always a crap shoot in these mocks.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:11 AM, squire12 said:

Bahk being about 9 months removed from ACL surgery, I think he has a legit chance to be ready.   All comes down to how the rehab goes.  

Long term, I think Jenkins has the skillset to play RT and liked the interior IOL options. 

The only way he isn't back in time for the start of the regular season is if rehab is a complete disaster IMHO. I too think Jenkins can be long-term at either Tackle positions, but you did a good job grabbing a potential swing Tackle in the 4th.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, squire12 said:

Main view is i think Jenkins can play OT well and I think this draft is better IOL in the mid-later draft. 

I agree with your first half and think the second half is why I have a problem with your second pick. I have nothing against the player, but we have proven time and again that we can hit on a solid, if not spectacular Center, in the later rounds. I would've went CB or RB there if the value presents itself.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:09 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I like:

The same could really be said about Jamaal Williams as well. He knows this system, he'll be relatively cheap, and he balled out when needed last year and the year before as well.

---

As for the mock itself, and outside the second pick, this is easily the best mock I've seen on this board. You address IDL twice - the Brown pick is a sleeper as I think he's more than a run stuffer and his athleticism suggests that. You pick up a guy who could be a swing tackle right before that, you draft a long-term replacement at Safety that, if he doesn't develop, can easily be replaced without creating a hole at the position. Day 3 is a list of HR's in my opinion outside of those previously mentioned because you've got your developmental type players who can contribute on ST's at least immediately and several players who could be upgrades over previous Day 3 picks given their strengths.

Bravo!

Edited by Joe