House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

The one thing that continues to be frustrating is some of the biggest reveals or what should be surprising developments, are undermined by "Game of Thrones".

We know how the prophecy ends, and a Targaryen was not on the Iron Throne nor did a Targaryen kill the Night King. It was a very cool curveball to add to Aegon's motivations to conquer Westeros, but knowing the endgame puts a damper on the twist. I don't want to rehash the ending of "GoT", but maybe the point the show runners were trying to make was don't live your life based on a prophecy, but that seems to conflict with Martin's thoughts on the matter.

Cregan had a really cool line about Jaehaerys and Alysanne's dragon refusing to go beyond the wall...but Daenerys' three dragons gave no cruds and went beyond the wall without a second thought.

22 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The one thing that continues to be frustrating is some of the biggest reveals or what should be surprising developments, are undermined by "Game of Thrones".

We know how the prophecy ends, and a Targaryen was not on the Iron Throne nor did a Targaryen kill the Night King. It was a very cool curveball to add to Aegon's motivations to conquer Westeros, but knowing the endgame puts a damper on the twist. I don't want to rehash the ending of "GoT", but maybe the point the show runners were trying to make was don't live your life based on a prophecy, but that seems to conflict with Martin's thoughts on the matter.

Cregan had a really cool line about Jaehaerys and Alysanne's dragon refusing to go beyond the wall...but Daenerys' three dragons gave no cruds and went beyond the wall without a second thought.

I don’t disagree. That’s always the issue with any prequel where we know the end result. It needs to be able to be its own contained story and not rely on the main story, which I think it does.

Regarding Daenerys and her dragons, weren’t there more magical properties in both their hatching and Daenerys role in it. As the wall is built with magic as well, it could be cancelled out.

7 hours ago, Acgott said:

I don’t disagree. That’s always the issue with any prequel where we know the end result. It needs to be able to be its own contained story and not rely on the main story, which I think it does.

Regarding Daenerys and her dragons, weren’t there more magical properties in both their hatching and Daenerys role in it. As the wall is built with magic as well, it could be cancelled out.

It's because Dumb and Dumber didn't give a **** about the lore, foreshadowing, or basic storytelling towards the end.  They just wanted to rush an ending and get their next big paycheck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

For sure. It's always a struggle with a prequel, being able to be your own story. But this could have been one of the few prequels that truly expanded on and helped contextualize and improve the original, like The Godfather Part II or Rogue One, but was let down by some choices made by the original show runners.

True, her dragons were born as a "miracle" of sorts, so we can make our own canon without going outside the rules of the world.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

It's because Dumb and Dumber didn't give a **** about the lore, foreshadowing, or basic storytelling towards the end.  They just wanted to rush an ending and get their next big paycheck.

While I definitely disagree with what Benioff and Weiss did (and with HBO letting them dictate that there would only be 13 episodes to finish the series), the main criticism needs to be put on Martin IMO. He knew, or should have known, about these things, and he didn't share this knowledge with them. He should have put his foot down to say "No, this will not make sense with my world and the backstory I'm adding/have added". But instead, he worked on other stuff and the show was seemingly a non-issue for him. And now I'd bet a lot of money the criticism the show ending got is messing with his head when it comes to writing the books, so double whammy.

Edited by seminoles1

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

For sure. It's always a struggle with a prequel, being able to be your own story. But this could have been one of the few prequels that truly expanded on and helped contextualize and improve the original, like The Godfather Part II or Rogue One, but was let down by some choices made by the original show runners.

True, her dragons were born as a "miracle" of sorts, so we can make our own canon without going outside the rules of the world.

While I definitely disagree with what Benioff and Weiss did (and with HBO letting them dictate that there would only be 13 episodes to finish the series), the main criticism needs to be put on Martin IMO. He knew, or should have known, about these things, and he didn't share this knowledge with them. He should have put his foot down to say "No, this will not make sense with my world and the backstory I'm adding/have added". But instead, he worked on other stuff and the show was seemingly a non-issue for him. And now I'd bet a lot of money the criticism the show ending got is messing with his head when it comes to writing the books, so double whammy.

I'm always on board with criticizing GRRM.  Lazy rat bastard got his TV money and gave up on his own series before completing it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm always on board with criticizing GRRM.  Lazy rat bastard got his TV money and gave up on his own series before completing it.

He's published 10 books since 2011 my man.

Not all of them are core content series but he's not been lazy lol.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

He's published 10 books since 2011 my man.

Not all of them are core content series but he's not been lazy lol.

And he's ignored the one thing everybody wants.  So, I guess I'll amend that to selfish rat bastard.

• Like 1

I do think he was caught up with the money making which certainly caused him to make excuses for not finishing the books. Also, I think he has no idea what to do with the books or where the story should go which is why he continues to distract himself with other stuff.

He said that once before that he supposedly knows the end game for the series, he just isn't sure how he is getting there.

The way the show played out had an impact on his writing as well because no doubt he was watching that mess unfold. He wanted to finish the books by the end of the show series but again getting caught up in the money and fame took him out of writing. All 1200+ pages of manuscript supposedly that isn't done? He started the book in 2010.

Nobody can really blame him for going for the money and getting involved in so many other things but for fans of the books first, it fair to be frustrating.

He's clearly not capable of finishing it himself. There's so many talented and capable fantasy authors out there that he could consult with to help finish his work. He's actively hurting himself and legacy by not doing the obvious thing in working with other authors. It's not like having another author finish your work is unheard of either. He is selfish.

I might have missed something in this episode...

Spoiler

Weren't the assassins supposed to go for Aemond? Didn't Rhaenyra say that? Maybe Daemon too? Did they just get complacent and go son for son? Or not understand? 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I might have missed something in this episode...

Reveal hidden contents

Weren't the assassins supposed to go for Aemond? Didn't Rhaenyra say that? Maybe Daemon too? Did they just get complacent and go son for son? Or not understand? 

Spoiler

They were told to go after Aemond, but the way the scene came off to me was they found the next best thing. I think Daemon told them off-screen "a son for a son" (Blood repeated that phrase in Helaena's room, which is what Daemon said to Rhaenys earlier in the episode) when they asked him what to do if they couldn't find Aemond. I don't think they looked very hard for Aemond, found a different Targaryen, and hung onto Daemon's "a son for a son" and just killed Jaehaerys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

He's clearly not capable of finishing it himself. There's so many talented and capable fantasy authors out there that he could consult with to help finish his work. He's actively hurting himself and legacy by not doing the obvious thing in working with other authors. It's not like having another author finish your work is unheard of either. He is selfish.

All those other authors can go **** themselves. It’s gotta be his words and ideas 

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:
  Hide contents

They were told to go after Aemond, but the way the scene came off to me was they found the next best thing. I think Daemon told them off-screen "a son for a son" (Blood repeated that phrase in Helaena's room, which is what Daemon said to Rhaenys earlier in the episode) when they asked him what to do if they couldn't find Aemond. I don't think they looked very hard for Aemond, found a different Targaryen, and hung onto Daemon's "a son for a son" and just killed Jaehaerys.

My question is will they retaliate for the retaliation or will they all just be like damn and shake hands on it all