NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

7 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Dindwiddie for Kuzma? No thank you. 

Dinwiddie is gone either way, so you can lose him for nothing or add another role player into your rotation, especially since Green and Griffin are both free agents and he could fill a similar role. 

Kuzma for Dinwiddie straight up isn't worth it for Brooklyn, which is why I suggested adding the 1sts so at least Brooklyn moved up in the draft (I gett adding picks to S&T deals is tricky, but just make it part of an unrelated deal and Brooklyn can add future picks that would never actually convey or "cash considerations"). Kuzma is not a bad player, he's just wildly inconsistent and frustrating. Getting him would help ease the pain of losing Green and Brown, but taking on any salary would cost so much in luxury tax. Brooklyn also has to consider extensions for Durant, Harden, and Kyrie. Brooklyn is already so far over the cap and tax that bringing on anyone else over the minimum outside of their exceptions would cost so much money. I think taking back Kuzma in a trade would add $50 million to their luxury tax bill for this season alone, which is why they wouldn't do it. At that point just re-sign Dinwiddie or Brown.

21 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Kuzma for Dinwiddie straight up isn't worth it for Brooklyn, which is why I suggested adding the 1sts so at least Brooklyn moved up in the draft (I gett adding picks to S&T deals is tricky, but just make it part of an unrelated deal and Brooklyn can add future picks that would never actually convey or "cash considerations"). Kuzma is not a bad player, he's just wildly inconsistent and frustrating. Getting him would help ease the pain of losing Green and Brown, but taking on any salary would cost so much in luxury tax. Brooklyn also has to consider extensions for Durant, Harden, and Kyrie. Brooklyn is already so far over the cap and tax that bringing on anyone else over the minimum outside of their exceptions would cost so much money. I think taking back Kuzma in a trade would add $50 million to their luxury tax bill for this season alone, which is why they wouldn't do it. At that point just re-sign Dinwiddie or Brown.

Dinwiddie has made it pretty clear that he's leaving, he said he prefers LA at a discount or will seek a team that will give him a big extension. Green, Brown, and Griffin (5-7 in min during the playoffs) are all free agents this summer. They do have to consider extensions for all three but it's almost guaranteed that they all opt out next summer and their chances of retaining all 3 are so-so if they're unable to win a title next year. 

39 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

IF Dinwiddie wasn't a FA, I'd probably agree.  But right now, Brooklyn essentially has 2 options.  They can either overpay him to re-sign or they can let him go somewhere else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF Dinwiddie wasn't a FA, I'd probably agree.  But right now, Brooklyn essentially has 2 options.  They can either overpay him to re-sign or they can let him go somewhere else.

And he has publicly said that he really has no interest in returning to Brooklyn.

Just now, NYRaider said:

And he has publicly said that he really has no interest in returning to Brooklyn.

Then Brooklyn needs to just let him leave unless they get a good player back. The tax implications are monstrous. Kuzma alone is not worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Then Brooklyn needs to just let him leave unless they get a good player back. The tax implications are monstrous. Kuzma alone is not worth it.

Agreed. 

A source told The Daily News the combo guard wants to go home, or “wants the bag.” “Home is the preferred destination,” the source told The Daily News. “But he wants to secure his financial future, too.”

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I’d rather much honestly re-sign Brown and Green over Kuzma. Heck just one alone is fine. Green is versatile and knows his role, while Brown is solid piece and knows his role.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’d rather much honestly re-sign Brown and Green over Kuzma. Heck just one alone is fine. Green is versatile and knows his role, while Brown is solid piece and knows his role.

That's probably the best route to be honest. Kuzma is unhappy because of his diminishing role, can't imagine he'd be thrilled to go to a team with an even smaller role. 

12 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I guess it'll depend on what those 2 can get in free agency. If Green gets offers higher than the tax payer MLE (which is $5.9 million, so possible) and someone offers Brown a 3 year, $40 million deal and front loads it, then Brooklyn would have to seriously consider letting them go and seeing what Dinwiddie can bring back in a S&T. At that point a player like Kuzma, who would be like a weird combo of Green and Brown, wouldn't be awful if Dinwiddie is dead set on an LA team.

Griffin will probably come back on the minimum or biannual exception sice he's still getting like $30 million from Detroit.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I guess it'll depend on what those 2 can get in free agency. If Green gets offers higher than the tax payer MLE (which is $5.9 million, so possible) and someone offers Brown a 3 year, $40 million deal and front loads it, then Brooklyn would have to seriously consider letting them go and seeing what Dinwiddie can bring back in a S&T. At that point a player like Kuzma, who would be like a weird combo of Green and Brown, wouldn't be awful if Dinwiddie is dead set on an LA team.

Griffin will probably come back on the minimum or biannual exception sice he's still getting like $30 million from Detroit.

I just realized that Brown is a RFA, I could definitely see someone offering him a deal above market value to force Brooklyn's hand. I think Green is a good bet to stay at $5.9M, he has made a ton over the course of his career and his priority at this point of his career seems to be getting a ring. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I just realized that Brown is a RFA, I could definitely see someone offering him a deal above market value to force Brooklyn's hand. I think Green is a good bet to stay at $5.9M, he has made a ton over the course of his career and his priority at this point of his career seems to be getting a ring. 

I mean if another contender comes in and offers the full MLE, he could get the best of both worlds.