What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 12/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, D82 said:

Applying for jobs sucks. Why do I need to upload my resume and then type in all of that same information? 

Yeah, I ran into that.  I work for a company where I’ve progressed through, paid very well and have very flexible work hours and PTO.  I put in a few resumes a couple months ago just to see what’s out there, and those platforms are the worst.  Literally hate TeamWork online.  I enter my resume into the platform for each job, and then have to attach my resume.  It’s dumb.  

However, the absolute worst was putting in my resume when a local running company put a job up for Director of Events.  I put in a resume and cover letter within days of it going up.  Despite being in their training group with their Director of Training, I never heard a peep from them for over three months.  I finally heard from the VP in charge of that position right after I was named to the company’s Racing Team…..which clearly was a “My Bad” and not wanting to get off on the wrong foot.  And he took over a week to respond to the email I sent him in reply to that one.  

Needless to say, I’m just taking it as a practice interview.  There is no way I’d work for that company after that, unless they drastically overpaid me, and even then it’s a tough call.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Because the company paid lots of money to drill that **** into your ear and eye holes.  Repeatedly.  Until it's burned into your retina and rings in your ears all the way into tomorrow.  lol.

At least it wasn’t the Burger King commercial lol.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:19 AM, skywindO2 said:

People that request read receipts on their emails

straight-to-jail-crime.gif

Im more partial to the person who CC's your boss on a email request because they think you will get it done faster if you see that your boss is on the email.

"Here Im going to ask you to do something for me, and Im also going to copy your boss on this email so that they know I sent you a request to do it--you now have to reply by overusing exclamation points to show your the ultimate team player"

Good afternoon Sarah! This is great information, I will start putting it in the system and let you know ASAP when its finished!

Have a great day!

-AkronsWitness

giphy.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Dads/Newer Dads

What's something you got to help yourself with fatherhood that might not be on a traditional list? Books, something for the baby, whatever. 

Newly pregnant? Soon to be first time dad?

As far as books go, get yourself a book that is focused on the mom, not the baby. The mom instinctually knows what to do to take care of the kid and will do it, but moms really often lose track of taking care of themselves. The first few months are survival mode, and the dad is better suited to take care of the mom then the kid directly (although obviously you will also be doing things for the baby). I really liked We're Pregnant! The First-Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook. It's broken down super nicely and finished every chapter with actionable items you can do to help, and it goes all the way through the first 3 months postpartum.

And get a bag of foam balls from Amazon to play with your kid with. Every dad and every kid loves playing catch. It will look different over time (my son and I started with him sitting down across from me and us rolling the ball to each other, and now he's running around throwing them at me while I throw them back), but it is a great way to bond with your kid. For some dads, myself including, bonding at first is hard. It wasn't until I got the first smile out of him that I was really hooked. Having a game or activity you play together that you both look forward to is a surefire way to create a really deep bond quickly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We're Pregnant! The First-Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook

I actually got this already! That and The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year. Both seem to focus on what you mentioned actually, so that's good! Thanks for the other suggestions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Dads/Newer Dads

What's something you got to help yourself with fatherhood that might not be on a traditional list? Books, something for the baby, whatever. 

Two things that are a little off the reservation and probably not in a handbook

First one that hit my wife and I like a ton of bricks is daycare and more specifically the cost of daycare. It was the one thing that came out of nowhere that nobody really told us about or prepared us for. If this applies to your situation.

While you have a few months left before they arrive, spend this time (if you havent already, of course) researching online daycare centers in your area, setup some tours and get pricing. I was unprepared for this and when our son turned 1 year old, it completely altered our families finances substantially because the cost in our area. 

Second is toys/clothes. I feel like this is one of those things you hear your whole life how expensive it is, but if you do it correctly its really not.

Goodwill, Facebook Marketplace(!), Once Upon A Child stores saved us so much money. Also, dont be afraid to ask any family members/friends for hand-me-downs if you havent already. We got boxes full of clothes/toys from members of our family who already had kids that were just sitting around their house. Almost every expensive toy like climbing gyms, ball pits, sandboxes, ect can be found on FB Marketplace for 100x cheaper than buying anything new. People look to get rid of clutter when they are done having kids and they sell things for cheap cheap just to get rid of it, jump all over that.

Bonus: Be prepared for your house to never be clean again 😂 No matter how much you clean, it will turn into a absolute warzone 12 hours later. If your a clean freak like I am, learn to let go and just know that it doesnt last forever haha Also, on your baby shower list--include a good carpet cleaner. We have a small Bissel spot/stain cleaner and its saved our carpet so many times because kids love to grab anything you put on a end table (like coffee) and smack it on the ground.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

Well on the topic of Dads... my two daughters who are adults 25 and 22 and are currently in Kenya on a safari and I'm terrified but also so happy for them. They originally flew to Cairo for a friends wedding and toured the pyramids and Alexandria then the two of them flew to Nairobi from there. A seven day safari and they stop each night at a different eco camp and they can visit the local villages and interact with the locals. 

The pictures and videos they've sent us are just amazing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Two things that are a little off the reservation and probably not in a handbook

First one that hit my wife and I like a ton of bricks is daycare and more specifically the cost of daycare. It was the one thing that came out of nowhere that nobody really told us about or prepared us for. If this applies to your situation.

While you have a few months left before they arrive, spend this time (if you havent already, of course) researching online daycare centers in your area, setup some tours and get pricing. I was unprepared for this and when our son turned 1 year old, it completely altered our families finances substantially because the cost in our area. 

Second this, big time. My wife and I were relatively prepared for the cost, but we were unprepared for how inflexible, and somewhat shady, some big daycare places are, even the supposedly nice ones. We ultimately ended up going off word of mouth recommendation and are using a home daycare. This woman is amazing, loves our son, he loves her, and she is basically like another grandmother to him. I'd argue logistics and convenience are more important factors than cost when it comes to daycare: what are their hours in comparison to your work hours? Do they have any holidays/days off that don't coincide with holidays/days off from work? If something were to go wrong, how quickly can you get to the daycare from home or work to pick up your kid? These are all super important to consider. If you find what seems like the perfect place, but they close at 4pm every day and neither you or your spouse get off work until 5pm, it isn't going to work.

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Bonus: Be prepared for your house to never be clean again 😂 No matter how much you clean, it will turn into a absolute warzone 12 hours later. If your a clean freak like I am, learn to let go and just know that it doesnt last forever haha Also, on your baby shower list--include a good carpet cleaner. We have a small Bissel spot/stain cleaner and its saved our carpet so many times because kids love to grab anything you put on a end table (like coffee) and smack it on the ground.

Second this as well. Although, I will say that babyproofing is an art and a science, and it means more than just keeping dangerous things away from your kid. Once the kid started getting mobile (cherish the part of their life where they stay where you leave them!), I kind of took it upon myself to lay out a babyproofing plan that fit our house. We put up a nice long gate that limited the area he could explore, and then I made that area as safe as I possibly could. That involved mounting the TV on the wall so he couldn't pull it down/grab the screen, getting a new coffee table that didn't have a glass top and putting foam around all the edges (a lifesaver, btw), getting a new entertainment center with cabinets that could be locked with babyproof locks, and anchoring EVERYTHING to the walls. That doesn't mean he can roam around unsupervised, but it does limit the trouble he can get himself into. Although it turns into a disaster area every night with toys, pillows, blankets, books, and clothes all over the place, the cleaning routine has become so automatic that it only really takes my wife and I about 10-15 minutes every night to straighten it up and make it like new again.

I'll also bring this up, only because my wife is an occupational therapist and I took for granted how much work she did early on that prevented some worrying down the line- be on the early lookout for torticollis (layman's terms, head always leaning to one specific side) and positional plagiocephaly (flat back of the head). If you do the right things early on, you can almost eliminate the risk of them entirely. If they develop and you catch them late, they aren't serious, but probably do require more serious remedies, like an OT or PT getting involved or making your kid wear a helmet. In short, get your kid to like tummy time early and make sure you have them look in all different directions when they are really little!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Well on the topic of Dads... my two daughters who are adults 25 and 22 and are currently in Kenya on a safari and I'm terrified but also so happy for them. They originally flew to Cairo for a friends wedding and toured the pyramids and Alexandria then the two of them flew to Nairobi from there. A seven day safari and they stop each night at a different eco camp and they can visit the local villages and interact with the locals. 

The pictures and videos they've sent us are just amazing. 

Jeez Shock I didn't realize you were that old lol

48 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Second this, big time. My wife and I were relatively prepared for the cost, but we were unprepared for how inflexible, and somewhat shady, some big daycare places are, even the supposedly nice ones. We ultimately ended up going off word of mouth recommendation and are using a home daycare. This woman is amazing, loves our son, he loves her, and she is basically like another grandmother to him. I'd argue logistics and convenience are more important factors than cost when it comes to daycare: what are their hours in comparison to your work hours? Do they have any holidays/days off that don't coincide with holidays/days off from work? If something were to go wrong, how quickly can you get to the daycare from home or work to pick up your kid? These are all super important to consider. If you find what seems like the perfect place, but they close at 4pm every day and neither you or your spouse get off work until 5pm, it isn't going to work.

Its unbelievable. Your entire life all you hear from your parents generation is "cost of diapers, cost of clothes, cost of toys, cost of formula" but nobody tells you the biggest one. Cost of daycare. Probably because when we were kids in the 80s/90s, daycare cost probably like $300/mo. At some point in the last 10 years daycare has skyrocketed in price.

We toured 7 daycares and the 'middle-ground' we went with costs $1,550 a month. Thats a second mortgage payment almost. If he lives in the DC area, I can't image how bad the prices will be over there. I spent more money on 1 month of daycare than I have probably spent on clothes and toys for him in 2 years.

But like you said, proximity matters a ton considering they all have policies where if your child shows any signs of being sick you need to come pick them up. So it being close to your home/work matters a ton considering multiple times per month you will have to leave work to go get them in the middle of the day because they spit up one too many times, they bit somebody, they had too many blowouts, they have a nosebleed, yada yada.

The one thing that got me hot with their pricing is since everything is paid weekly or monthly, they don't prorate you for the days your kid wasnt there. If you need to leave work to pick them up and they need to stay home 3 days sick, you don't get that money back. Its all the same dollar figure per month for the 'spot' at the school regardless if they are there 4 full weeks or only 2 weeks.

I have a lot of qualms with daycares lol From their cost, to their schedules, to them constantly calling me telling me I need to leave work to pick my kid up because he coughed, to the fact that one of the teachers gave him Covid. Make sure you get the right one if your going to pay a arm and a leg haha

I cannot wait until hes old enough to be in Kindergarten

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its unbelievable. Your entire life all you hear from your parents generation is "cost of diapers, cost of clothes, cost of toys, cost of formula" but nobody tells you the biggest one. Cost of daycare. Probably because when we were kids in the 80s/90s, daycare cost probably like $300/mo. At some point in the last 10 years daycare has skyrocketed in price.

We toured 7 daycares and the 'middle-ground' we went with costs $1,550 a month. Thats a second mortgage payment almost. If he lives in the DC area, I can't image how bad the prices will be over there. I spent more money on 1 month of daycare than I have probably spent on clothes and toys for him in 2 years.

But like you said, proximity matters a ton considering they all have policies where if your child shows any signs of being sick you need to come pick them up. So it being close to your home/work matters a ton considering multiple times per month you will have to leave work to go get them in the middle of the day because they spit up one too many times, they bit somebody, they had too many blowouts, they have a nosebleed, yada yada.

The one thing that got me hot with their pricing is since everything is paid weekly or monthly, they don't prorate you for the days your kid wasnt there. If you need to leave work to pick them up and they need to stay home 3 days sick, you don't get that money back. Its all the same dollar figure per month for the 'spot' at the school regardless if they are there 4 full weeks or only 2 weeks.

I have a lot of qualms with daycares lol From their cost, to their schedules, to them constantly calling me telling me I need to leave work to pick my kid up because he coughed, to the fact that one of the teachers gave him Covid. Make sure you get the right one if your going to pay a arm and a leg haha

I've heard what you said from basically everyone I've talked to with young kids (except for those lucky few with retired parents who watch the kids for free). It makes me feel really lucky for my situation; my kid's home daycare charges $50 a day, 3 day a week minimum, and you don't pay if you don't take them in. She isn't strict about the 3 day a week minimum either. We've gone on vacation for a week before and we don't owe her anything for that week. The only downsides are her hours are relatively limiting- 8am to 5pm on weekdays. We have to plan our work days around getting him in and out on time.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I cannot wait until hes old enough to be in Kindergarten

Also, I'm curious- do you just have the 1 kid? Are daycare prices prohibitively high that you can't afford to even have another kid if you wanted to because of them?

I've got a theory that that is the case for a lot of millenials right now. That even the ones who can afford to have a kid can only have 1 because both parents work, so daycare is essential, and the price is so high that they can't afford 2 kids in daycare at the same time. If my wife and I have another kid, we aren't doing it until our firstborn is in preschool/kindergarten.

33 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I've heard what you said from basically everyone I've talked to with young kids (except for those lucky few with retired parents who watch the kids for free). It makes me feel really lucky for my situation; my kid's home daycare charges $50 a day, 3 day a week minimum, and you don't pay if you don't take them in. She isn't strict about the 3 day a week minimum either. We've gone on vacation for a week before and we don't owe her anything for that week. The only downsides are her hours are relatively limiting- 8am to 5pm on weekdays. We have to plan our work days around getting him in and out on time.

Its tough man, after crunching the numbers my wife literally quit her job to be a stay at home mom because as a teacher, we found she was essentially going to work to pay the daycare bill. So why not just be a stay at home parent at that point.

This is also a very big problem with teachers in general is that once they have kids, they quit because their salaries dont make it worth staying. A lot of other teachers at her school have done the same thing, then once all the kids are in Kindergarten--they have to refind jobs again. So basically we have a single income household for a bare minimum 4 years pending future kids, that could turn into 6-8 years.

More power to you for having that sweet gig though lol I wish we could find something like that.

Update: As for your question about multiple kids, that also factored in to her just leaving her job. No chance would could afford 2 kids in daycare. You get a little bit of a price break for multiples, I think something like 1.5x or 1.75x--so if daycare costs 1,550 for one kid, we would still be paying around $2,500-2,750 per month for two. Hell no. no no no.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2