Draft Talk

onejayhawk

9 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Maybe a last pick CB, hide'n in the grass?

Shakur Brown is still out.

I think Patrick Johnson or Charles Snowden. TCU's other S, Ar'Darius Robinson is interesting. He's very small but very productive. RB Jermar Jefferson. I would have said Dazz Newsome, but Chicago just took him. Maybe Tamorrion Terry. A pure ST makes sense.

J

We take a 2nd round graded OG--Goldfish has him at #55--with a major medical issue. Trey Smith is a classic power OG, so he will need to learn our system.

2 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Medical grade nightmare. Did we need this?

The knock is purely not his fault--blood clots. He's a steal, if he can play at all. At this point, I have no problem rolling the dice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Medical grade nightmare. Did we need this?

I feel like that's exactly the kind of guy you take with late picks, though. You aren't going to get a high floor player in the 6th round anyway. May as well get a high ceiling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I feel like that's exactly the kind of guy you take with late picks, though. You aren't going to get a high floor player in the 6th round anyway. May as well get a high ceiling.

This.  Trey Smith in the 6th.   It probably doesn’t work out,   But you take that talent at that point in the draft.   

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

No more OG's please. Yes, you can look at it that way. But on the other hand, I can't believe there isn't a "diamond in the rough"? Scouting works so hard to find them. I feel like we didn't give the scouts their due respect for their hard work. We don't need OG's whatever the "level". We could use a S, CB, even DE or LB? Surely there's someone out there somebody missed?

Day #3 

4 #144 Joshua Kaindoh EDGE, FSU
Height: 6-7, Weight: 265

Another tall, athletic specimen with serious pop in his hands. Just isn't overly active with him and didn't live up to expectations in college. (Chris Trapasso)

5 #162 Noah Gray TE, DUKE
Height: 6-4, Weight: 240

One of the best separators among the second-tier of TEs in this class. Routes like a receiver and is smaller for the TE spot. Good mentorship behind Travis Kelce. (Chris Trapasso)

5 #181 Cornell Powell WR, CLEM
Height: 6-0, Weight: 210

Ball-tracking is outstanding down the sideline. Contorts his frame. Will be useful on back shoulders. Crisp, textbook routes and boasts a chiseled frame. Good athlete. Older prospect. (Chris Trapasso)

6 #226 Trey Smith OL, TENN
Height: 6-6, Weight: 330

Tremendous value here with an NFL strong blocker who's been on the draft radar for years. Doesn't play to his athletic workout but is a masher in the run game and is a long, wide body with plenty of experience in the SEC. (Chris Trapasso)

Kaindoh is the odd man out for me. He was not on my radar even in the 5th. That said, the physical traits are impressive and he fits Spagnuolo's DE profile to a T. The other three picks are significant value where taken.

We traded with the Jets for the Noah Gray pick, but the Jets did not ask full value for the trade. Given who we nabbed at #226, I am perfectly happy. Gray is referred to as a move TE, which is a newer way of saying H-back. He is not going to replace Blake Bell as an in-line blocker, but he could replace Sherman as a run blocker. He is also a polished receiving threat.

Powell should be money in the bank. He's older, polished and sticky fingered. He should take up some of the Sammy slack. This guy is a definite red zone threat.

Smith is a dice roll. If he can play, he's a 2nd round talent for next to nothing. The reason he might not be able to play is medical--blood clots. I suspect he can play well enough to back up RG effectively. we will see about the future. 

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We take a 2nd round graded OG--Goldfish has him at #55--with a major medical issue. Trey Smith is a classic power OG, so he will need to learn our system.

The knock is purely not his fault--blood clots. He's a steal, if he can play at all. At this point, I have no problem rolling the dice. 

I actually think were going to a more power blocking type scheme. All the new guys we've got fit very well for it.