Should we extend Tim Settle now?

turtle28

There’s been a lot of discussion in this forum for the last few years over which of our DTs to keep and I’m really not trying to make this thread about the Jon Allen vs DaRon Payne debate.

Instead, I’d like to focus on Tim Settle. We all like what we’ve seen out of Settle as a back up the last 3 years and while we missed Ioannidis last year for sure after he tore his bicep, his loss was lessened because Settle filled Ioannidis role but at a lesser impact while having 4 sacks and getting good pressure on QBs and playing solid run D.

The question becomes, do we extend Settle right now before he will hit free agency next March where we are almost sure to lose him to a team that will give him a chance to start or do we just see what happens next year in free agency?

I think we should extend Settle right now. Obviously it depends on what kind of contract his side is looking for, but I would hope we can sign him to a contract that makes sense for both sides. 

I was hoping we could sign Settle on an extension that is similar to what we gave Chris Baker & Quinton Dunbar years ago when they were showing the potential that they may become good starters and we locked them up before they became free agents.

Something like a 3-year deal $10 to $12 million contract.

What do you all think? Should we extend Settle on a deal similar to that right now before he becomes a free agent next March and we will probably lose him to a team that will give him a bigger contract than we want to?

13 minutes ago, BigTimeRedskins said:

I mean, I'm good to re-sign Settle, but for nothing more than $5m a year. If he demands more, let's just get a 2022 Compensatory pick for him.

Comp picks aren't guaranteed. We'd probably sign an "offset" player . 

• Like 1

We should really consider trading him to someone willing to give him a shot at starting.

We know our big 3 (Allen, Payne and Ioannidis) have the starting snaps locked down. Arguably Settle has the most value now that he will have for us. 

Try to get a 3rd or a 4th and a 7th and let him keep progressing. 

2 hours ago, BigTimeRedskins said:

I mean, I'm good to re-sign Settle, but for nothing more than $5m a year. If he demands more, let's just get a 2022 Compensatory pick for him.

Agreed but as other have said, compensatory picks aren’t guaranteed. I think it makes most sense to re-sign him now.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

No.  He's our 4th DT.  You don't extend those guys, you draft their replacements.  If we want to get value for Settle we should consider trading him.

Yes but Settle is more valuable than a mid round draft pick and we’d do this knowing that we’ll eventually have to trade Allen, Payne or Ioannidis in coming years so that we have the $ to re-sign Sweat & other players if need be.

The idea behind extending Settle now is in preparation for the day whether it’s next year or in two or three years where we are going to have to trade one of those other DTs to clear up cap space for other positions.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Not until you extend Allen.  I like him a lot, but I don't think we have the budget unless he is super cheap.  I think he is a better fit in a 3-4.  We should trade him.

The idea for me is to extend Allen of course and to also extend Settle because we should be able to lock him up on like a 3-year 10 to 12 million dollar deal. I think it’s a good idea to keep Settle around because losing him next offseason - even if it is by trade - and then losing either Ioannidis or Payne in 2023 after we lose Settle in 2022  will hurt the interior of our DL really bad.

I don’t agree about the scheme argument. The scheme is not a problem for Settle. He had 19 tackles and 5 sacks while only playing 33% of the snaps last year. Yes, we missed Ioannidis but we missed him far less bc we had Settle. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The idea for me is to extend Allen of course and to also extend Settle because we should be able to lock him up on like a 3-year 10 to 12 million dollar deal. I think it’s a good idea to keep Settle around because losing him next offseason - even if it is by trade - and then losing either Ioannidis or Payne in 2023 after we lose Settle in 2022  will hurt the interior of our DL really bad.

I don’t agree about the scheme argument. The scheme is not a problem for Settle. He had 19 tackles and 5 sacks while only playing 33% of the snaps last year. Yes, we missed Ioannidis but we missed him far less bc we had Settle. 

I really like Settle and I would like to keep him.  I think he might even start on another team and I also think he knows that.  I guess I just figure with Scherff to the mega deal and trying to resign Allen, I doubt we can afford him.  So trade him for something.

Yeesh, you read the threads around here and you’d think we’re badly cap strapped. Can’t sign a WR because then we’ll lose Terry. Have to trade one of our DTs because eventually we’ll have to choose one anyway.

We are paying basically no one. If and when we extend Jonathan Allen (as we should), we will have three guys on the roster with 2021 cap numbers north of $10M. Two of them (Scherff and Collins) seem likely to be gone by next season unless something changes with their contract status. If they are, we would currently be slotted to have Kendall Fuller at $11.1M as our top cap number next season and Chase Roullier at $10M as #2. 

By comparison, the Eagles and Cowboys currently have 7 players with cap numbers over $10M, and the Giants have 6. Signing a couple players to large contracts is not going to cost us Chase or Terry, especially as the cap balloons as part of the COVID rebound. 

To the thread question, I would not feel motivated to extend Settle. We already have one “backup” DT in the Greek who we will have to pay legit money — I can’t see putting ourselves on the hook for two backups at the same position.

I suppose if Settle wants to do what Ioannidis and Quinton Dunbar did, basically what some young baseball prospects do, and let us buy out a couple years of his free agency with a well below market deal that offers him increased security (and money up front) in return for less future earnings, I could see doing that. If he wants to sign a new contract for something like 5/$20M with a lot of it up front to put some cash in his pocket, I could probably get on board with that. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

@e16bball I fully understand that we aren’t in salary cap hell now but that can change very quickly after this offseason should we sign all the FAs the people want to, re-sign Allen, Darby & Scherff.

The way I look at it is should we be paying two WRs max contract deals where they’re making near or over $20 million a year? 

My feeling is NO to that so, if I have to chose between Galloday/Juju & Terry, I’m picking Terry to give the big $100 million plus contract to. We can find a different #2 WR for cheaper than $20 mil a year either through FA or the draft.

Also in a few years Payne, Ioannidis & then Sweat will be up for new contracts too and that’s not even talking about the QB situation. Very quickly we could be the ones with 7 plus players making over $10 million a year and we should want to use that on our own guys as much as possible not on other teams FAs where we have a guy in that position already who’s sure to get a new contract that’s going to pay him over $20 million next year or the year after.

Edited by turtle28