Free Agency

Johnny Nix

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

Probably the first signing that's a potential improvement over last year's personnel.  

I saw the PFF grade for our defense yesterday, and couldn't believe just how bad Geno was last year.  He had something like a 50 PFF grade.

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I saw the PFF grade for our defense yesterday, and couldn't believe just how bad Geno was last year.  He had something like a 50 PFF grade.

He's been on a decline for several years.  Practically invisible last year.  

Though, i have a feeling that wherever he lands next year, he'll be a lot better than we saw last year.  I think we can attribute a lot of individual performances to Lou, just like we can with the Oline to Turner.

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

i think they'll land him.  Big Q is what happens if they draft a tackle at #5.

Three options really:

1. Jonah kicks into Guard
  2. Reiff kicks into Guard
  3. Draft pick starts out at Guard with a plan to move out to Tackle after a year or two.

If we can sign Reiff and pull in someone like Larry Warford or Trai Turner, then Chase is absolutely plan A at 5 in my eyes. I certainly wouldn't be angry if we did all that and signed Sewell either though.

1. Chase
  2. Sewell
  3. Trade Down

Those are the only 3 options I like at 5.

If we sign Reiff, he'll go to RT. That probably takes tackle off the table at 5. I'd prefer Pitts to Chase if we stay at 5. If we trade down, likely landing spots would be 8, 9, or 12. We'd get at least a 2nd this year for any of those moves. If we trade down, we might still have a shot at Pitts, or one of the Alabama receivers, or Parsons. But the team might go for Slater or Vera-Tucker as a guard with tackle optionality if Jonah gets hurt again. 

I think we'll sign a starting RG in free agency plus at least Quinton Spain for LG cover. If we don't take a lineman in round 1, we might go for a Mayfield or Davis in round 2 or a Smith or Cleveland later.

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have signed former Browns DT Larry Ogunjobi. He's not as good as Geno in his prime but better than Mike Daniels or the corpse of Geno. This solidifies our D-line next to Reader. 

We also re-signed WR Mike Thomas. I'm a little surprised by this after the Dolphins game.

Why the Dolphins game?  Unless you just buy the crappy announcer narratives.

The first hit was timed perfectly.  The second one was close, but coming off the other one that got incorrectly flagged, the narrative won over.  He's fine as a special teams guy and last WR on the roster, however many they keep active.