Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, ET80 said:

You and I had this conversation and I told you my personal experience - cleaned up diet, exercised and lost 26 lbs. 

I get what you're saying, but can we choose to say it AFTER we're past this critical stage? Let's take care of the easy (vaccinations, where you walk in, get a jab and get out) and when we're through this pandemic, then take care of the more challenging (changing lifestyles)?

I agree with what you're saying, I'm a living testament with it - but let's establish priorities here, people are rejecting the vaccine WHILE shoving processed crap in their mouths. Can we get them to cross the easy bridge and then look to get them to rethink their diets and lifestyle?

Yes and you're doing the right thing.  Now here's a thought for people....instead of arguing and hollering (on an internet message board) about the rest of the US getting vaxxed, many people could have used the past 8 months to do what you did and SIGNIFICANTLY improved their health and immunity so you won't have to worry about how many people are vaxxed.  Everyone knew this would take time whether it was limited resources or hesitancy.  

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Now here's a thought for people....instead of arguing and hollering (on an internet message board) about the rest of the US getting vaxxed, many people could have used the past 8 months to do what you did and SIGNIFICANTLY improved their health and immunity so you won't have to worry about how many people are vaxxed. 

This would work... If people had a time machine to go back eight months and start making those changes.

The consequences of what we're arguing are happening in real time - we're at a point to where we really don't have eight months to see incremental changes. We need a quick fix just to get to the point to have that "improving your lifestyle" conversation... which the vaccine can provide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hear all the time “my doctor just wants to put me on meds, they don’t want to teach me how to fix my issues with diet and exercise”. The fact of the matter is the info is readily available.  Start moving and stop eating is the tl;dr version.  Buuuuuuuttttttt…… it’s a lot easier and physicians get greater compliance with a daily pill that a prescription of “30 min of moderate intensity cardio, cut the baked goods and refined carbs almost completely, eat hella veggies and don’t drink”.

Here's an issue though...doctors don't learn about exercise or nutrition.  Many get paid to prescribe meds.  Many get paid to do research on meds.  Many of these pills can have long term negative effects.  Doctors send people off with meds and these blanket statements and the patient has no idea what to do except "eat less and move more" which is extremely vague.  No wonder people don't want to get better.

Then we reward people getting healthier with a vaccine by giving them free donuts and fast food.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This would work... If people had a time machine to go back eight months and start making those changes.

The consequences of what we're arguing are happening in real time - we're at a point to where we really don't have eight months to see incremental changes. We need a quick fix just to get to the point to have that "improving your lifestyle" conversation... which the vaccine can provide.

Okay so the children who don't keep up with class assignments shouldn't be held back, we should just wait for them to get their act together?

People need to be held accountable for their own health.  Instead they blame other people.

EDIT- why can't the improve your lifestyle be implemented at the same time as the quick fix?

Edited by jetsfan4life51

18 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Okay so the children who don't keep up with class assignments shouldn't be held back, we should just wait for them to get their act together?

You're comparing apples and oranges - failing a class isn't going to kill you, but untreated Covid CAN kill you.

We're in a position where people are getting sick - today, right now. We need to do something to prevent people from getting sick, and telling them "you should have eliminated processed carbs and focused on portion control before you got sick" isn't going to improve their mortality rate. 

You know that these changes are incremental - even those with a right plan aren't going to get to where they need to be aren't gonna to do it overnight, in a week, or even a month. It's a concentrated effort, with a prerequisite of willpower and (I hate to admit it) failures through the process. Part of the process is failure, recognizing why you failed and starting over (I'm positive you agree with me on this). In a vacuum, you can do that, but we're in a position where we need immediate results - failure isn't really an option today or tomorrow. 

One thing with a near zero failure rate is vaccinations - you get your shots, and that's it. No need to have a cheat day, no need to feel like a failure for losing focus on a day of weakness - it's a short term solution to solve one part of a bigger problem. It's not THE solution, but it's the EASIEST part of a multi-staged solution that is readily available for everyone, free of charge.

18 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

People need to be held accountable for their own health.  Instead they blame other people.

I actually agree with you, and use this line of logic for those who don't get the vaccinations available to everyone. There needs to be a sense of accountability.

I know that's a touchy subject when it comes to fitness and lifestyle, and I wish I had a better solution for our current predicament, specific to this. However, I'm seeing the chance to have that discussion, but let's compartmentalize this - get that short term solution going, get that agreed to and the we revamp the lifestyle we desperately need to revamp.

We're on the same side, ultimately - I'm just thinking short term right now, simply because short term is at an incredibly critical status.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I actually agree with you, and use this line of logic for those who don't get the vaccinations available to everyone. There needs to be a sense of accountability.

I know that's a touchy subject when it comes to fitness and lifestyle, and I wish I had a better solution for our current predicament, specific to this. However, I'm seeing the chance to have that discussion, but let's compartmentalize this - get that short term solution going, get that agreed to and the we revamp the lifestyle we desperately need to revamp.

We're on the same side, ultimately - I'm just thinking short term right now, simply because short term is at an incredibly critical status.

The only reason why I keep bringing this stuff up is certain people just repeating the same things over and over and never once alluding to this.  It's all vaxx or die with them.  I prefer constructive conversation and long term.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The only reason why I keep bringing this stuff up is certain people just repeating the same things over and over and never once alluding to this.  It's all vaxx or die with them.  I prefer constructive conversation and long term.

But I ultimately think - there's a time and place for it, right?

Once someone can say "get your vaccination/boosters" and NOT get pushback from others, then I believe we're in a place to have a more detailed discussion on proper nutrition, exercise, rest and recovery (another mis-managed aspect - get enough sleep, stretch, take in proper nutrition to repair yourself).

It's important, I don't disagree. It will get it's due. But let's get to a point where vaccinations aren't a divisive topic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

EDIT- why can't the improve your lifestyle be implemented at the same time as the quick fix?

Just saw this edit - because failure is part of the improvement process, and we don't have much room for error in our current position.

Real life example - in January, when I made my initial changes, I'd wake up at 3am to get to the gym and work out. On my way to the gym, I drive by two different donut shops - they're not open when I'm going, but they're open when I'm driving back home. I drive by and think to myself "I just burned a ton of calories, I've earned an old fashioned glazed and a sugary coffee, I'm going to be eating clean the rest of the day..."

And that's a failure point. Sure, I wasn't wrong in my assessment - I burned a ton of calories, it was still a net/net with the donut and coffee, rest of my meals that day consisted of quality proteins and green leafy vegetables - but my lifestyle was negativity impacted by sweet processed carbs and sugary drinks, even if it's one time, and in response to a good effort at the gym. My intentions were correct, but execution wasn't correct. It took me a while to break that mental connection of rewarding myself with food after a positive effort (whether that effort was working out, doing well on a work project, etc - a slice of pizza and beer isn't a reward, no matter what I do at work).

This was more than diet change, it was behavioral changes - and changing behavior isn't as simple as willpower, it's rewiring your entire personality and brain. Your pleasure centers in your brain are wired to function such as this (Pavlov's dog experiment, for example). Changing that isn't overnight, it's a ongoing change - to really succeed, you have to change your relationship with food and exercise. My "rewards" now came when I'd get to try PRs in certain lifts, trying to burn X calories, going to a new class at my gym (yoga, vinyasa flow, kickboxing) buying new workout clothes and gear - not exactly pizza and beer, y'know?

This didn't happen in a day, and it wasn't something that didn't require a reset or two with me. It got REALLY challenging during the freeze in Houston - when I couldn't go and lift/work out at home or in the gym and cooking options were limited due to the extended power loss. It was a failure, one that wasn't drawn on want, but need - I couldn't just subsidize on protein shakes, I needed to find actual food to take into my system and my options were limited without power in the house. I mention this because failure can both be a conscious decision or a situational position you find yourself in, and you do what you can (Live Oak Grill makes a nice chicken breast and roasted vegetables - still probably not as good as home eating, but you do what you can).

Here's a TED Talk on people and their relationship with food (video isn't loading, so click the link below - the guy is a professor/Doctor in nutrition as well as a champion powerlifter and IFBB pro):

https://www.ted.com/talks/dr_mike_israetel_the_scientific_landscape_of_healthy_eating

I heard about this TED Talk when I read an article on Ethan Suplee (actor, My Name is Earl, Boy Meets World, Remember the Titans). Suplee lost close to 300 lbs with a lifestyle overhaul, and it wasn't just losing weight, he really changed up his entire body composition to where he's roughly 11% body fat now. He estimates he lost 1,000 lbs over the years in "yo- yo" fad diets - he'd get to a great number, commit to keeping the lifestyle, but then - he'd fail and put weight back on. As somebody who has been there  before, nothing is more disheartening than looking at a scale and seeing 40 lbs that wasn't there six months ago, I've absolutely been there in my 30s. But that was part of the failure, that's a major component of REAL improvement, not superficial improvement that looks nice in the mirror but doesn't address the mental and psychological sides of these challenges.

He credits this TED Talk to much of his change; I'm not going to lie the TED Talk and Suplee's own journey was transformative for me, too (along with a DOPE Discord with some fine gentleman... along with a horse lawyer, a Mafia GAWD and the hottest HOT LAVA nurse in Ohio who is the 3rd most liked person in the universe).

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna206343

Waiting for people to have that "aha" moment is a long wait, and you can't really rush this chat - much like Suplee's grandparents, you will have an opposite effect by forcing it on people. It's got to be a gradual, organic understanding to LAST, which is what we want, lasting change (not fad diets that leave you at a net gain in 18-24 months).

Let's have this conversation... but let's do it RIGHT.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Here's an issue though...doctors don't learn about exercise or nutrition.  Many get paid to prescribe meds.  Many get paid to do research on meds.  Many of these pills can have long term negative effects.  Doctors send people off with meds and these blanket statements and the patient has no idea what to do except "eat less and move more" which is extremely vague.  No wonder people don't want to get better.

Then we reward people getting healthier with a vaccine by giving them free donuts and fast food.

Dietary instruction isn’t what physicians are for.  There’s are other professions for that, registered dietitians and nutritionists.

But let’s be real here, lack of knowledge isn’t why people have issues with their diet.  Most people know what they should eat and what they shouldn’t. The stuff they shouldn’t just happens to taste better, be cheaper in many cases, is more convenient, etc.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

You know a lot of kids who are held back?  I don’t want to take this off topic, but kids are, and have been, pushed through schools whether or not they’re meeting standards.

So are we not treating unvaccinated people then?  Gotta hold them accountable, right?

Literally no one is arguing they can’t or shouldn’t be.  Not a single person.

• Like 2