Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, Blackstar12 said:

Well regardless this is good news to hear overall. 👍

it is, we are understanding this thing a bit better every day. The reason for this move was a better understanding of asymptomatic spread, which is notoriously hard to study because most asymptomatic positives don't know they are positive. It is also a ringing endorsement for masks from the CDC. 

• Like 2

Just now, G said:

It's a ringing endorsement that nobody wants the frail economy to totally collapse. Smart move and not just from a political standpoint. At some point (probably in a year) they will pass the 'L' in the HEALS act. So you can't sue so businesses don't worry about lawsuits. The cruise lines needed that already. My boosted parents who both loved cruises with their sig others won't ever cruise again. 

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What about those who are close contact with a positive and asymptomatic? Still 14 days?

Additionally, CDC is updating the recommended quarantine period for those exposed to COVID-19. For people who are unvaccinated or are more than six months out from their second mRNA dose (or more than 2 months after the J&J vaccine) and not yet boosted, CDC now recommends quarantine for 5 days followed by strict mask use for an additional 5 days. Alternatively, if a 5-day quarantine is not feasible, it is imperative that an exposed person wear a well-fitting mask at all times when around others for 10 days after exposure. Individuals who have received their booster shot do not need to quarantine following an exposure, but should wear a mask for 10 days after the exposure.  For all those exposed, best practice would also include a test for SARS-CoV-2 at day 5 after exposure. If symptoms occur, individuals should immediately quarantine until a negative test confirms symptoms are not attributable to COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

This new guideline is specifically for asymptomatic patients. Symptomatic patients are still 10 full days.  

• Like 1

The fast-spreading omicron variant was estimated to account for 58.6 percent of coronavirus variants circulating in the United States for the week ending Dec. 25, according to new data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. According to the estimate, the prevalence of the omicron variant had eclipsed that of the delta variant, which accounted for 41.1 percent of variants.

In a series of Twitter posts, Craig Spencer, who teaches emergency medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, said every boosted patient he has seen in the emergency room has had no difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Those who have had two doses of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines also have had mild symptoms, he said, “but more than those who had received a third dose.” But almost every patient who had to be hospitalized was unvaccinated, he said.

31 minutes ago, TVScout said:

The fast-spreading omicron variant was estimated to account for 58.6 percent of coronavirus variants circulating in the United States for the week ending Dec. 25, according to new data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. According to the estimate, the prevalence of the omicron variant had eclipsed that of the delta variant, which accounted for 41.1 percent of variants.

In a series of Twitter posts, Craig Spencer, who teaches emergency medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, said every boosted patient he has seen in the emergency room has had no difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Those who have had two doses of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines also have had mild symptoms, he said, “but more than those who had received a third dose.” But almost every patient who had to be hospitalized was unvaccinated, he said.

...nah, I'll take my chances with Ivermectin, thanks. I can spread it on toast, can your vaccine be spread on toast? 

Yeah... I didn't think so. Looks like it's ONE MORE for the good guys!

SnLcAql.gif

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Has anyone modified or upgraded their mask?  I saw that with omicron they are saying a standard cloth mask doesn't work so well.  

I've been using cloth, but I also have n95 - I'll probably switch to that (but my cloth ones have Marvel and Houston Astros designs, so I'm not happy I have to give them up).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've been using cloth, but I also have n95 - I'll probably switch to that (but my cloth ones have Marvel and Houston Astros designs, so I'm not happy I have to give them up).

Ya I bought a 3 pack of black cloth adidas masks that I've been using as they are simple to put on. I'm wondering if I can modify them or if I need to fully upgrade to a N95.  Most of the n95s I've seen aren't very comfortable. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I bought a 3 pack of black cloth adidas masks that I've been using as they are simple to put on. I'm wondering if I can modify them or if I need to fully upgrade to a N95.  Most of the n95s I've seen aren't very comfortable. 

just buy the ones with the filter inserts and you should be okay if you dont want to go full N95

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Double mask? That’s what I’m doing. 

• Like 1

There was an article in Nature like a year ago that strongly suggested that cloth masks were useless...and even possibly detrimental. The N95 mask was really the only one with good results. There have been some other studies that have shown surgical masks being superior to cloth masks. Honestly, I'd go with either a surgical mask or if you really want to feel hypoxic and extra safe, go with the N95 mask. There is a reason why we use surgical masks in the OR, and not something that we bring from home made by a company with no quality control.

43 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

There was an article in Nature like a year ago that strongly suggested that cloth masks were useless...and even possibly detrimental. The N95 mask was really the only one with good results. There have been some other studies that have shown surgical masks being superior to cloth masks. Honestly, I'd go with either a surgical mask or if you really want to feel hypoxic and extra safe, go with the N95 mask. There is a reason why we use surgical masks in the OR, and not something that we bring from home made by a company with no quality control.

Cloth mask were always a short term solution until there were more abundant quality masks to have instead. They were still useful in mitigating the spread to others. Just not as good in protecting yourself.