Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Perhaps, but I’m not certain that’s the motivator. Fauci even mentioned previously about how many people were quarantined with the FDNY and now it’s not sustainable.

There are a lot of factors, no doubt

I think the CDC has done ok thus far given the novelty of things and such, but the new guidelines seem like a misstep aimed and keeping the economy going more so than best practice.

Maybe I’m just not up on the data (I’ll readily admit I’ve lost interest in keeping up with a lot of this), but ending quarantine after 5 days for people who are still symptomatic doesn’t sound great or like best practice.

I've basically stopped caring at this point, because things that readily impact me on a day to day aren't really being taken into consideration, so my motivation is hovering between a "very cynical (-3)" and 2 on a scale of 1-10. We can't even get enough people here on a daily basis.

It seems like this is just another example of people easing restrictions because they “don’t wanna and ain’t gonna” as opposed to doing what needs to be done to actually start moving forward from this thing.

That crowd hasn't done anything in 2 years anyway, and tbh, I finally after not taking a vacation in 3 years pulled the trigger and booked a 1 week vacation down in Georgia this summer. It's been 3 years and I've done my time and played by the rules, only to get it 2-3 times while being fully boosted and wearing a mask while not going anywhere, so I'm choosing to move on relatively responsibly and I'm going to take a vacation to a place with a pool and a beach. I'm over it all at this point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There are a lot of factors, no doubt

I've basically stopped caring at this point, because things that readily impact me on a day to day aren't really being taken into consideration, so my motivation is hovering between a "very cynical (-3)" and 2 on a scale of 1-10. We can't even get enough people here on a daily basis.

That crowd hasn't done anything in 2 years anyway, and tbh, I finally after not taking a vacation in 3 years pulled the trigger and booked a 1 week vacation down in Georgia this summer. It's been 3 years and I've done my time and played by the rules, only to get it 2-3 times while being fully boosted and wearing a mask while not going anywhere, so I'm choosing to move on relatively responsibly and I'm going to take a vacation to a place with a pool and a beach. I'm over it all at this point.

I don’t blame you, but oh bb you need to get away. I’ve taken this pretty seriously since the start and I’ve booked 4-5 vacations since this began and spring break.  I’m not gonna fly, not doing dumb ish, but you’ve gotta live your life.

With things VRBO and such there’s no more risk than being at home.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t blame you, but oh bb you need to get away. I’ve taken this pretty seriously since the start and I’ve booked 4-5 vacations since this began and spring break.  I’m not gonna fly, not doing dumb ish, but you’ve gotta live your life.

With things VRBO and such there’s no more risk than being at home.

Yeah man and that's probably on me. I'm going to drive the 11 and 1/2 hours down there, we literally got a VRBO place for $1,100 for a full week (pool there and the beach is 1/5 of a mile away), and we're going to have fun and make it work. I can't live like this anymore to this extent, and neither can my family. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah man and that's probably on me. I'm going to drive the 11 and 1/2 hours down there, we literally got a VRBO place for $1,100 for a full week (pool there and the beach is 1/5 of a mile away), and we're going to have fun and make it work. I can't live like this anymore to this extent, and neither can my family. 

We did that twice in 2020, worked out really well.  Literally no other contact with folks than what you’d get being at home doing your daily stuff.

We did an 18 day road trip in July/August to a bunch of places and stayed in traditional hotels.  No issues, but covid was pretty mild (comparatively) at that particular time. 

We ate out (often at off hours or outside), wore masks when we were in somewhat crowded situations, etc.  

No real issues.  Some minor inconveniences (couldn’t swim a time or two as the pools were crowded), masks, etc., but beats the pants off just sitting at home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We did that twice in 2020, worked out really well.  Literally no other contact with folks than what you’d get being at home doing your daily stuff.

We did an 18 day road trip in July/August to a bunch of places and stayed in traditional hotels.  No issues, but covid was pretty mild (comparatively) at that particular time. 

We ate out (often at off hours or outside), wore masks when we were in somewhat crowded situations, etc.  

No real issues.  Some minor inconveniences (couldn’t swim a time or two as the pools were crowded), masks, etc., but beats the pants off just sitting at home.

I came to the realization that I can either be outside here at home or outside in Georgia. I'm not going to Disney (for a lot of reasons), so the pool and beach sounded good to me. Hopefully the weather holds. I'm dreading the long car ride with kids, but we'll see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I came to the realization that I can either be outside here at home or outside in Georgia. I'm not going to Disney (for a lot of reasons), so the pool and beach sounded good to me. Hopefully the weather holds. I'm dreading the long car ride with kids, but we'll see.

The car ride isn’t as bad as you’re expecting. If you’re doing all 11 in one day, I’d start early and break it up.  A couple hours at a time max.  Drive, breakfast, drive, lunch, drive, see something cool/walk around, drive, dinner, drive.  Definitely don’t pack a cooler and see who has the biggest bladder. (And when I mention a meal, I mean get out and go in and eat.  Eat a at a local spot, something unique. It’s more memorable than you’d think).

If possible, plan to leave the night before.  Even if you just drive 3-4 hours it can make the next day a LOT more tolerable.  I generally won’t do more than 9 hours planned in a day and even those start to get miserable. I know some folks can drive all day, we can’t.  My dad (at like 84) drove from Dallas to Canton in one day.  That’s like 16-17 hours.  That’s a 2-3 day drive for me.  There’s stuff to see and do along the way that’s usually worth the time.

Where in GA?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Perhaps, but I’m not certain that’s the motivator. Fauci even mentioned previously about how many people were quarantined with the FDNY and now it’s not sustainable.

I think the CDC has done ok thus far given the novelty of things and such, but the new guidelines seem like a misstep aimed and keeping the economy going more so than best practice.

Maybe I’m just not up on the data (I’ll readily admit I’ve lost interest in keeping up with a lot of this), but ending quarantine after 5 days for people who are still symptomatic doesn’t sound great or like best practice.

It seems like this is just another example of people easing restrictions because they “don’t wanna and ain’t gonna” as opposed to doing what needs to be done to actually start moving forward from this thing.

It’s supposed to be 5 days for people who are asymptomatic and they still need to be wearing masks 5 days afterwards. But yeah, I only knew because of this thread (thanks @Deadpulse!) and following up more afterwards. So yeah, definitely confusing messages.

Edited by Xenos

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The car ride isn’t as bad as you’re expecting. If you’re doing all 11 in one day, I’d start early and break it up.  A couple hours at a time max.  Drive, breakfast, drive, lunch, drive, see something cool/walk around, drive, dinner, drive.  Definitely don’t pack a cooler and see who has the biggest bladder. (And when I mention a meal, I mean get out and go in and eat.  Eat a at a local spot, something unique. It’s more memorable than you’d think).

Last time we did it, I started at about 1-2 AM and we drove almost halfway while the kids slept in the car, then stopped for breakfast. If I can do this again, I like the idea of a sit down breakfast, then drive a couple hours and maybe see if we can hit up a park and let the kids play, maybe even getting lunch and taking it to the park for a picnic.

If possible, plan to leave the night before.  Even if you just drive 3-4 hours it can make the next day a LOT more tolerable.  I generally won’t do more than 9 hours planned in a day and even those start to get miserable. I know some folks can drive all day, we can’t.  My dad (at like 84) drove from Dallas to Canton in one day.  That’s like 16-17 hours.  That’s a 2-3 day drive for me.  There’s stuff to see and do along the way that’s usually worth the time.

I'm going to pack everything up the night before and that way hopefully we only have to load the kids and then we can go. I'll see if I can have a podcast cued up and some coffee while my wife sleeps.

Where in GA?

St. Simon's Island

I've never been but heard it's great. Ever been?

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It’s supposed to be 5 days for people who are asymptomatic and they still need to be wearing masks 5 days afterwards. But yeah, I only knew because of this thread (thanks @Deadpulse!) and following up more afterwards. So yeah, definitely confusing messages.

Not quite.

You can be positive, and symptomatic as long as you don’t have a fever and your symptoms are improving (which is a sketchy arse gray area).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

At that point you can end isolation and wear a mask.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Last time we did it, I started at about 1-2 AM and we drove almost halfway while the kids slept in the car, then stopped for breakfast. If I can do this again, I like the idea of a sit down breakfast, then drive a couple hours and maybe see if we can hit up a park and let the kids play, maybe even getting lunch and taking it to the park for a picnic.

as long as that doesn’t goof your sleep schedule for the rest of the trip, that’s a good plan.

I'm going to pack everything up the night before and that way hopefully we only have to load the kids and then we can go. I'll see if I can have a podcast cued up and some coffee while my wife sleeps.

true crime podcasts are our go to for road trips.  Your kids are younger so stories of murders and missing people may not work, but if you’re the only one who’s awake…

St. Simon's Island

I've never been but heard it's great. Ever been?

We stopped by Jekyll island for lunch once, which is just a few miles away. It’s a pretty area for sure. I have a buddy whose wife’s family goes there every year. I can’t imagine it not being nice.

GA in the summer can be brutally hot, but if the idea is just swimming and relaxing I personally couldn’t care less. Savannah is a cool city, lots of history.  Most importantly you can see the spot Forest Gump sat in Chippewa Square near the fountain at Forsyth Park.  Really pretty area.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not quite.

You can be positive, and symptomatic as long as you don’t have a fever and your symptoms are improving (which is a sketchy arse gray area).

TL;DR

"I feel fine and take my word for it"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not quite.

The way I know I don't care is because this is hilarious silly and 12 months ago I'd make fun of it for like a solid day. Now, eh. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The way I know I don't care is because this is hilarious silly and 12 months ago I'd make fun of it for like a solid day. Now, eh. 

Well it’s hard to care for this long when so many people don’t care at all and we’re (healthcare/pharmaceutical workers) all left cleaning up their mess indefinitely.

But yeah, this is absurd.

• Like 2