Saints extend Taysom Hill; 4 years, $140M

pwny

2 minutes ago, Mojibwe said:

It’s actually really smart from Hill’s camp to do this. Imagine he plays out of his mind, and is a legit starter for the saints (probably not, but stay with me).

do they void next year? If they do, they can’t franchise and he might get a big deal somewhere else. It’s a good “bet on yourself” contract, even though we all know it’s getting voided, cause it might pay off huge for him.

I would bet quite a bit that the years are set to automatically void before the start of FA next season. That's how they did Jared Cook and Sheldon Rankins deals that auto-voided, and that's what Brees contract would've done after 2021 if he didn't retire. 

This isn't a "let's see if you earn it" signing at all, it's a "we owe you this money and we're going to restructure you to pay some next year, but do you want to make a mockery of the cap while we're at it?"

1 minute ago, Mojibwe said:

It’s actually really smart from Hill’s camp to do this. Imagine he plays out of his mind, and is a legit starter for the saints (probably not, but stay with me).

do they void next year?

Again it’s not an option.   The contract automatically voids next offseason.   So there isn’t any impact on next offseason.  

And since there isn’t a no-tag provision in the contract he can be tagged if the Saints want to go that route (doubtful imo).  

The extra years are a PR troll job.  No impact like @Dome mentioned. 

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

LOL I'm just going to let Loomis do his thing. I have no idea what's happening but whatever

They restructured Hill to pay him the money he's already owed this year, but spread the cap hit into 2022 to save us money this year.

They did the restructure in the form of a franchise QB contract (none of the big money is guaranteed) for a laugh basically. They could've restructured the contract he's already on.

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

They restructured Hill to pay him the money he's already owed this year, but spread the cap hit into 2022 to save us money this year.

They did the restructure in the form of a franchise QB contract (none of the big money is guaranteed) for a laugh basically. They could've restructured the contract he's already on.

To reset the market and screw over any team pursuing a QB in free agency. Mitchell Tribusky's agent is asking for a 5 yr/$160M deal today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To reset the market and screw over any team pursuing a QB in free agency. Mitchell Tribusky's agent is asking for a 5 yr/$160M deal today.

Why would teams want Trubisky when you can get a $140m QB like Taysom Hill for just a late 1st?

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

Why would teams want Trubisky when you can get a $140m QB like Taysom Hill for just a late 1st?

Why would Trubisky, the former #2 overall pick, who is a former Pro Bowler and led his team to the playoffs twice as a starter accept anything less when Hill just got $140M? 

• Like 1