Drew Brees is not a top 10 QB of all time. Change my mind.

mdonnelly21

Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Brees has 1 SB, zero MVP’s 1 first team all pro. The bulk of his argument and legacy is statistical based, mostly on yards and completion percentage. 

The fact that he disproportionately played in a dome and against warm weather teams has an impact on those stats which make up a big part of his case. He’s not some other guy like Brady or Rodgers who has MVP’s they can rely on and their stats aren’t going to be held with a level of skepticism because they played in harsher environments 

Are you going to pretend Brees didn't got robbed of an MVP and a second super bowl birth? Are you going to pretend that winning one Super Bowl is a mark against Brees, and that winning said Super Bowl in New Orleans doesn't enhance his legacy? Are you going to pretend Brees didn't play with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning, while not acknowledging there is one first team all pro spot for QB?

Brees' legacy is winning a Super Bowl with the god damn Aints, in the process leading his offense for a GWD and beating Peyton Manning while Manning threw the game losing pick-6. While putting up elite production for 15 years and making the Saints an elite offensive unit. His ability as a quarterback made the Saints a stable and competent organization, before 2006 that was inconceivable.

Edited by Breesus mode

1 hour ago, Breesus mode said:

Are you going to pretend Brees didn't got robbed of an MVP and a second super bowl birth? Are you going to pretend that winning one Super Bowl is a mark against Brees, and that winning said Super Bowl in New Orleans doesn't enhance his legacy? Are you going to pretend Brees didn't play with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning, while not acknowledging there is one first team all pro spot for QB?

Brees' legacy is winning a Super Bowl with the god damn Aints, in the process leading his offense for a GWD and beating Peyton Manning while Manning threw the game losing pick-6. While putting up elite production for 15 years and making the Saints an elite offensive unit. His ability as a quarterback made the Saints a stable and competent organization, before 2006 that was inconceivable.

Brees didn't get robbed of an MVP. And yes, there is only one first team all pro spot, that's literally the entire point of using it as a metric, to say "how many times was this player the best at his position?" And for Brees it is literally only one time. He has 0 MVP's, 1 FT All-Pro, and that's an entirely reasonable criticism in the context of the all-time greats comparison. 

22 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Brees didn't get robbed of an MVP. And yes, there is only one first team all pro spot, that's literally the entire point of using it as a metric, to say "how many times was this player the best at his position?" And for Brees it is literally only one time. He has 0 MVP's, 1 FT All-Pro, and that's an entirely reasonable criticism in the context of the all-time greats comparison. 

He did indeed did get robbed in 2009. That's not a knock against Brees considering Brady, Rodgers, and Manning are top 5 all time.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You’d have to be related to Eli to rank him higher than Drew Brees. You’re talking about two players who are so far apart ranking-wise that putting Eli above Brees means you have to have an agenda. It’s nearly as bad as when people tried arguing Eli was elite. 

I think you phrased it really well by saying that you'd have to be related to him, to place him above Brees. Actually, I doubt Peyton or Archie even rank him above Brees if they're being honest. I think it's entirely even debatable if I would legitimately use the word "good" to describe Eli Manning. He was mediocre for literally his entire career. If you were to take his best seasons of his entire career, they probably don't compare favorably to some of the worst seasons by actual elite quarterbacks. He has literally zero accolades in the way of All-Pro's or MVP's, I'm not even sure if he has even gotten an MVP vote. He only has 4 Pro Bowls in his ~15 year career in a time frame where the Pro Bowl was considered exceedingly easy to get in, when so many people would decline joining. His 84.1 passer rating over his career, I'm not entirely convinced is even higher than the average across the same seasons. Assuming I am reading the stats correctly on PFF, over his career he has just 25 more total touchdowns than he does total turnovers over the course of his career. The fact that he had two decent playoff runs with all-time great pass rushes doesn't somehow make him a great QB. He's arguably the worst QB to ever be a starter for over a decade, he's painfully average. Comparing him to Brees is completely absurd. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You’d have to be related to Eli to rank him higher than Drew Brees. You’re talking about two players who are so far apart ranking-wise that putting Eli above Brees means you have to have an agenda. It’s nearly as bad as when people tried arguing Eli was elite. 

I stated I liked Brees and I'm the one with an agenda....Again what is Bree's defining moment?....What iconic historical moment as QB is Brees remembered for?....

Mark my words, Eli Manning in comparison will be considered a god due largely in part because he spent his career in the Big Apple....Not saying it's fair, just saying that's the way it is....