Drew Brees is not a top 10 QB of all time. Change my mind.

mdonnelly21

Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't recency bias though.  He has NEVER been considered by the majority of fans/media better than Manning, Rodgers, or Brady.

My point is that by including him in the top 10, you are saying 4 of the best 10 QBs of all-time all played at the same time.  Which is possible, sure, not saying it isn't or that it disqualifies him from being in the top 10 (because I personally just don't think I'm in a position to rank guys all-time)... but even if it is true, the likelihood of them all being in the top 5 or 6 is extremely low.  So Brees would be, at the best, at the edge of the list (#10 or #9).  How is that unfair to him?  You act like being called a top 10 QB all-time, or even missing out on that mark, is some disrespectful thing lol

The only thing I flat-out disagree with is the assertion that people's reasoning should be, well, if you put Player A in Player B's time period, this is how he would do.  By doing that it leads you to draw conclusions that just don't make any sense (ie. Taylor > Staubach) and it is guesswork.  

I disagree. Many years Brees was considered better than Rodgers. In fact, I'd argue a majority of years people had it Brady-Manning-Brees-Rodgers.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I think you missed what I was arguing. I was arguing against the "no one is saying otherwise" in regards to the bounties being cheating. I don't give a crap about the NFCCG they won because of it.

Then what are you arguing with? The only thing I'm arguing is the Saints won the NFCCG because of some bounty system. Thats false. They won because the Vikings had 5 turnovers, plain and simple. Every DL goal is to get to the QB and hit him. Its been 10 years and Vikings fans still cry about it.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't recency bias though.  He has NEVER been considered by the majority of fans/media better than Manning, Rodgers, or Brady.

My point is that by including him in the top 10, you are saying 4 of the best 10 QBs of all-time all played at the same time.  Which is possible, sure, not saying it isn't or that it disqualifies him from being in the top 10 (because I personally just don't think I'm in a position to rank guys all-time)... but even if it is true, the likelihood of them all being in the top 5 or 6 is extremely low.  So Brees would be, at the best, at the edge of the list (#10 or #9).  How is that unfair to him?  You act like being called a top 10 QB all-time, or even missing out on that mark, is some disrespectful thing lol

Brady has won 7 ******* Super Bowls, broke the single season TD record and then put up elite production into his 40s. Manning won multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, and broke the single season TD record twice. Rodgers has been the most efficient QB of all time,  has completely broken the bell curve for TD to INT ratio, and put up elite production. Brees being seen not quite as good as 3 top 5 all time QBs is no slight against him, and Brees was an elite QB that put up better individual seasons multiple times. He also went and beat Peyton Manning’s team in a super bowl; leading his offense on a game sealing drive while Manning threw the game away. He deserves a spot in the top 10. 

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Brady has won 7 ******* Super Bowls, broke the single season TD record and then put up elite production into his 40s. Manning won multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, and broke the single season TD record twice. Rodgers has been the most efficient QB of all time,  has completely broken the bell curve for TD to INT ratio, and put up elite production. Brees being seen not quite as good as 3 top 5 all time QBs is no slight against him, and Brees was an elite QB that put up better individual seasons multiple times. He also went and beat Peyton Manning’s team in a super bowl; leading his offense on a game sealing drive while Manning threw the game away. He deserves a spot in the top 10. 

I never said it was a slight nor did I say it disqualified him from being in the top 10. I’m just stating what the general consensus has always been: Brees is the 4th best QB of his era.

My point is if he is in the top 10 then in all likelihood he’s at the edge of it, why is that such a problem or a slight?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I never said it was a slight nor did I say it disqualified him from being in the top 10. I’m just stating what the general consensus has always been: Brees is the 4th best QB of his era.

My point is if he is in the top 10 then in all likelihood he’s at the edge of it, why is that such a problem or a slight?

Didn’t say it was a slight or problem, I’m just saying the 4 elite QBs of this era really were that good.

34 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

IDK man. Should he be penalized for being the 4th best QB of an era where two of the top 3 all time played in it and one who's in the top 10 has also played in it? 

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Didn’t say it was a slight or problem, I’m just saying the 4 elite QBs of this era really were that good.

4 of the top 6 all time to me. 

Peyton Manning

Dan Marino

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Joe Montana

Aaron Rodgers.

15 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don't know if Brees is in the top 10 or not.  The main thing I keep going back to, and what would probably be my main argument against it, is that the general consensus is that Brees is the 4th best QB of his era/run.  He's generally always been ranked behind Peyton before his retirement, Brady, and Rodgers.  Even after 2008, 2009, and 2011 respectively, the 3 years where you could best argue he was the best individual QB that year (I'd agree with '09, I'm taking Rodgers in '11, and I'm probably taking Rivers in '08), he was still behind those guys.  So, if he is in the top 10, he's definitely at the very edge.  

Brees got MVP votes two other years you didn't mention, 2006 and 2018, and was first team all pro in 2006.  Then, he had one more season with MVP numbers that was overshadowed by Manning's 55 TD season.  That's 5 or 6 monster seasons, and then a bunch of other seasons hovering around 5k yards and 34 TDs.  And yet that still wasn't good enough to beat out MAnning, Brady, and Rodgers.  This era was just insane for top QB play.  I don't think it disqualifies Brees from being top ten.

• Like 1

I would place Brees as a top 10 QB of all-time. We know the numbers he has put up and he has a Superbowl. The biggest thing though is impact. He not only changed the way we view the Saints. Before he was signed to the Saints they was known as the Aints and was really a joke. They was a losing franchise who literally couldnt get out of their own way. Brees also changed the city of New Orleans. I dont know how many players in the history of sports you can say carried the city on their back. Off the top of my head Ill say Brees and LeBron. Cleveland never won a thing until LeBron came. Again the city of New Orleans never won a thing until Brees came. They didnt even have a basketball team and when they finally got one they could only do so much with CP3 until he wanted out because they couldnt truly turn the then Hornets into a serious contender yearly. Even now with Zion the Pelicans have their moments but they arent really making noise in the West. But then we look at what Brees did the moment he became the Saints QB until he retired. Every year we looked at the Saints as at minimum playoff contenders. I think if Brees didnt retire he couldve came back and still the Saints wouldve been looked at as Superbowl contenders again. Its not like Brees left because he just didnt have it anymore. He left because he wanted to leave after being the best he could be for not just the Saints but for the NFL. So yes he is a top 10 QB of all-time. 

Old farts are almost always wrong (like the insufferable BS about Otto Graham wining a minor league for 4 years)

Staubach only started 131 regular season games and he played on an absolutely loaded team.

• Craig Morton took that team to a Super Bowl before Roger got there
  • Danny White took them to the NFCCG 3 times in a row after he left.
  • Being better than Danny White and Craig Morton does not make you a top 10 NFL QB

He was also 7 rating points worse in the playoffs.

In 13 of his 20 playoff starts he did not throw for 200 yards. (Bradshaw was 11 of 19 in putting up 200+)

150 or less in 10 of 20.

He never had 20 completions in a playoff game..

QB did not mean the same thing back then.

Brees led the league in the major categories 6,7,4 and 2 times

Roger led the league in the major categories 0, 0, 1, and 4 times

Staubach is still top 20 range and pushing for top 10, but the accomplishments are not the same.

Give them special coach leadership old timey points or something, its a much harder job now.

PS on the BS - The hitting angle is crap. QBs still get nailed now, by huge players going much faster. They just get to move the ball 15 yards now after getting mangled.

Unitas had a 12 year career and his corpse stuck around for 6 more years.

• He was not a good QB in those years including 2 horrific Super Bowls.
    • 82.9 rating to 60.4 rating during those periods.

He was statistically amazing for 11 years in a limited competition league with 14 teams.

He led the league in major categories 1, 4, 4, and 3 times.

Winning his first 2 titles meant running the gauntlet of 1 whole playoff game, wow!

His SB win was a 3 game run where he completed about 33% of his passes. Legendary stuff!

One hell of a player and a true legend. He was no Drew Brees.

4 minutes ago, Landog3 said:

How the hell is Drew Brees not a top 10 QB all time? Sure, only 1 ring, but you have Marino on that list who has 0 and Brees was a lot better than him. So, doesnt really make sense. 

Marino was putting up seasons like In today’s NFL in that era. 

• Like 1